Star Trek: The Next Generation : Shelby Vs. Riker

Re: Shelby Vs. Riker

I think you will find that people tend to have a certain mindset based upon what they have done in the past and what they were trained to do.

There is nothing wrong with being a diplomat, scientist, or an explorer. Those things are different than being a warrior or fighter.

A ship that was designed to be as comfortable as possible to facilitate long-term exploratory functions is going to be different than a ship that was designed for combat.

In the Vietnam War, the U.S. military developed a concept known as " piling on ". They were not interested in fair firefights, they wanted any battles to be as lopsided as possible in their favor. They wanted to have overwhelming firepower and the more the better. They were less interested in becoming heroes and more interested in winning the battle and going home alive.

I know that's coarse and ugly but this is combat and that by it's very nature is coarse and ugly.

We like to think we could win against overwhelming odds by the sheer virtue and strength of our will but the cold, hard reality is that if the odds are against us, then they are against us. What has to be done in such a situation is to turn the odds in your favor.

I don't think Jellico really liked this assignment, but he took it out of a sense of concern for the crew of the D. Of course they were not going to like the more militaristic aspects of Jelico's command, because they were not simply use to it.

The crew was fine with Jellico being militaristic, they weren't fine with his stupid decisions.

First of all, the Enterprise-D is not really a direct combat vessel

And I concur with that assessment. Indeed, I would say that in a sense that this is one of the more egregious problems with the Galaxy-Class Starship to begin with, and that's a problem that started first and foremost at the Admiralty Level. Jellico had his work cut out for him. Here he was, assigned to make the USS Pacific Princess into a ship of war because there was a good chance they'd have to go into combat, and he had Isaac, Gopher, and Julie giving him crap over it.

Frankly, I thought Jellico was a little too nice to these people. Had it been someone like Kirk, a man who has been shown to get mad when crew efficiency was sub-par, the crew would be in real hot water. Had it been me in command, it would've been Riker's ass in hot water, not the crews'. I take the Horatio Nelson-school of Leadership in this, as I did in Iraq, having to get new aviators up to snuff in combat conditions, by putting pressure on certain people to get things done. You micromanage as necessary because even Riker is only one guy, and you can help him out every now and then (especially since the vaguearies of command can mean some people don't quite get what you want them to do), but ultimately you have to reinforce the chain of command by putting adequate pressure where it is needed.

One of the things I would've balked at, if I were Jellico, is having Worf and Crusher leave on that mission with Picard. I'd have needed them. However, if that were an order from Admiral Necheyev, then it would've been "Yes, Ma'am." I could've used Worf especially to get the Enterprise ready, because you know he would've been enthusiastic about it.

Yes, the E-D was a combat vessel as Starfleet is supposed to protect the Federation. Why else have all that weaponry?

Poor design and a desire to have a ship that can do EVERYTHING.

It's fine to have a ship that has some good defensive capabilities so it can defend itself against say pirates who may desire to take it over. It's wrong I think to view such a ship as capable at fighting as a ship solely designed for that purpose.

The D seemed designed to be a family-friendly ship, more conducive to civilian life than military life, hence all the little kiddies onboard ( and the dolphins, and the mall which we never saw, and the apartments, things which put you into a real civilian and peaceful and sedate frame of mind ).

Multi-purpose ships may be okay as long as you are not facing any kind of real threat, but that changes when you do indeed face that.

I think you are right. The real problem is the design of the Galaxy Class. What exactly is it suppose to be?

A ship designed for diplomatic and trade missions probably should be designed for luxury, relaxation and comfort. If you want to conduct negotiations between two hostile parties then you probably wouldn't want to put them aboard a spartan fighting ship designed for combat. You want them to feel relaxed and comfortable as possible, not agitated and irritated.

A ship designed for scientific exploration is probably not going to be luxurious or designed for comfort, it's whole aura or atmosphere will be one of science.

Jellico probably realized it wasn't really the fault of the D's crew, you put people aboard a ship that seems predominately designed for relaxation and comfort and being at ease and now expect them to become warriors?

That's like deciding to take a relaxing vacation aboard an aircraft carrier. The whole ship isn't designed for what you intend to do.

The decor or lack thereof is going to have an effect on a crew's mood and way of thinking.

Jellico seemed to be in his late 50's to early 60's. He probably had been butting heads with Starfleet Command ever since he had joined Starfleet. They didn't understand that it would be downright criminal to order people to go fight in ships not specifically designed for combat.

No crew should be regarded as expendable, you want to give them every advantage you can to increase the chances of them coming back alive.

I would have to imagine a future Admiral Jellico most probably had a real hand in the development of the Defiant and later the the development of the Prometheus, two ships designed solely for combat.

The Enterprise had a battle bridge and plenty of weapons, it was designed for battle.

The Stardrive or Engineering section could indeed operate as an independent ship and was indeed a formidable weapon.

The problem was that the main hull had no warp drive, not even a small one to escape at a low warp speed from a battle zone. At sub-light, it would just be something of a sitting duck. It was well armed too, but that just made it more of a target.

The D was designed primarily for non-combat operations.

From ACTD - Advanced Starship Design Bureau "

Accommodation: 1012 Officers and Crew, 200 visiting personnel

Classification: Explorer [Explorer/Defensive/Diplomatic]

Funding for Galaxy Class Development Project Provided by: Advanced Starship Design Bureau, Theoretical Propulsion Group, Jupiter Station Research and Development, Daystrom Institute, United Federation of Planets Defense Council

Development Project Started: 2343

Production Start Date: 2353

Production End Date: Still in Production

Current Status: In Service

Locations of Galaxy-Class Construction:

Utopia Planitia Fleet Yard, Mars
Current Starship Identification and Registration Numbers:

U.S.S. Afton - NCC-70424
U.S.S. Pavonis - NCC-71989
U.S.S. Paula Greene - NCC-71204
U.S.S. Vesuvius - NCC-71985

CONTENTS

1.0 Galaxy-Class Introduction
1.1 Mission Objectives
1.2 Design Statistics
1.3 General Overview
1.4 Construction History
2.0 Command Systems
2.1 Main Bridge
2.2 Main Engineering
2.3 Battle Bridge

3.0 Tactical Systems
3.1 Phasers
3.2 Torpedo Launchers
3.3 Deflector Shields

4.0 Computer Systems
4.1 Computer Core
4.2 LCARS
4.3 Security Levels
4.4 Universal Translator

5.0 Propulsion Systems
5.1 Warp Propulsion System
5.2 Impulse Propulsion System
5.3 Reaction Control System

6.0 Utilities and Auxiliary Systems
6.1 Navigational Deflector
6.2 Tractor Beam
6.3 Transporter Systems
6.4 Communications

7.0 Science and Remote Sensing Systems
7.1 Sensor Systems
7.2 Tactical Sensors
7.3 Stellar Cartography
7.4 Science Labs
7.5 Probes

8.0 Crew Support Systems
8.1 Medical Systems
8.2 Crew Quarters Systems
8.3 Recreational Systems
8.4 Ten-Forward
9.0 Auxiliary Spacecraft Systems
9.1 Shuttlebays
9.2 Shuttlecraft

10.0 Flight Operations
10.1 Mission Types
10.2 Operating Modes
10.3 Separated Flight Mode
10.4 Maintenance

11.0 Emergency Operations
11.1 Emergency Medical Operations
11.2 Lifeboats
11.3 Rescue and Evac Operations
11.4 Landing Mode

Appendix A - Variant Designations

Appendix B - Basic Technical Specifications

Appendix C - Deck Layout

Appendix D - Author's Notes

Appendix E - Credits and Copyright Information

1.0 GALAXY-CLASS INTRODUCTION

1.1 MISSION OBJECTIVES

Pursuant to Starfleet Exploration Directives 902.3 & 914.5, Starfleet Defense Directives 138.6, 141.1 & 154.7, and Federation Security Council General Policy, the following objectives have been established for an Galaxy Class Starship:

Provide a mobile platform for a wide range of ongoing scientific and cultural research projects.
Replace aging Ambassador and Oberth Class Starships as the primary instrument of Starfleet's exploration programs.
Provide autonomous capability for full execution of Federation policy options in outlying areas.
Incorporate recent advancements in warp powerplant technology and improved science instrumentation.

1.2 DESIGN STATISTICS

Length: 642.51 meters
Width: 463.73 meters
Height: 195.26 meters
Weight: 4,500,000 metric tonnes
Cargo capacity: Dependant upon mission type

Hull: Duranium microfoam and tritanium plating
Number of Decks: 42 "

It was capable of battle, particularly against smaller ships, but it was not ideal against ships of it's own size.

No ship, no matter how well we may want to think if it, is going to be extremely good at everything. That's why the U.S. Navy and Navies around the world just don't have one kind of ship, they have aircraft carriers and destroyers, submarines and PT-type boats, etc.

The Prometheus IS a ship designed for battle. It can split into three different sections and each section is heavily armed and equipped with warp drive. It is equipped with phasers and torpedoes, plus it has regenerative shielding and ablative armor.

It's multivector assault mode enables it to attack a vessel from different angles, enabling it to tear apart an opposing ship's shields. It can easily defeat a Nebula-class ship or a Romulan Warbird.

It can be manned by as few as four people from the bridge and it makes use of holographic projectors throughout the ship which allows an EMH to treat the injured on the spot for injuries sustained during battle. As the ship is designed primarily for battle, it's bridge has been greatly simplified.

I got this info from Star Trek: The Magazine.

During a time of relative peace, most people don't like to think about war or the type of people suited to fight them. The Prometheus is not a pretty or elegant looking ship. It's fairly ugly with a squat-like look similar to the Defiant, another non-pretty pure fighting ship.

Military people and military or militarized ships are not really pleasant or pretty things to look at or contemplate. They are like Dentists, most people don't like Dentists because they conjure up unpleasant thoughts and memories and a lot of people avoid going to the Dentist until they have a really painful toothache and then they can't get to one fast enough.

Pure warships are not a pleasant thing to contemplate as they involve fighting and death and killing, things which most people are not enamored of.

The Galaxy-class ships aren't worthless, they were designed during a relative time of peace with no new threats on the horizon. They would make excellent troop transport ships or military cargo ships or hospital ships during a time of all-out war. Respect for a ship is acknowledging it's strengths as well as it's limitations.

This will be my last response in this particular spot as the posts are becoming too indented.

The Enterprise was the Federation's flagship, it was designed to defend the Federation.

I think too much is made of the Enterprise being the flagship. Looking in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary I come across the following definition for flagship: 1: the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision thereof and flies his flag 2: the finest, largest, or most important one esp. in a fleet of ships.

The D or a lot of large ships in the Star Trek Universe are spacious and powerful but they are not capable of atmospheric flight like a small Bird-Of-Prey or a shuttlecraft. If it's stealth you need then a very large ship is not going to suffice.

The flagship is meant to be seen, to be detected, to fly the flag. It's not meant to be stealthy or secretive. The U.S. Navy's flagships tend to be it aircraft carriers. That doesn't mean they are great at or even capable of underwater operations like a sub or capable of inland river operations like a Pt Boat.

The words finest and most important are subjective. If it's underwater operations you are talking about, then your largest and/or newest submarine will probably be the flagship in that regard. If however it needs to be able to operate in shallow waters without being seen then the smallest sub you have will be the finest in that regard.

The Oberth and Nova-class ships being mostly designed for science applications were actually better at scientific work than any other class of vessel. Their sensors were of the highest quality and could afford to be given their relative small size. They could spend up to a year studying a single system or nebula or anything else of interest.

What they would be poor at is mass evacuation. They would still be capable of it, but being capable and being great at any one particular thing are two different items. They also would not be ideal for diplomatic functions.

The D is a decent ship, perhaps even a good one in various areas, but what it is not is a great ship in any one particular area. It simply can't be, given it's multi-purpose role.

It's just a show. Relax.

RIP Gene Wilder. RIP Robert Vaughn. RIP Carrie Fisher. RIP William Christopher. 2016 is the worst!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Is the Enterprise not the flagship during the Dominion War?

There are numerous Galaxy-Class ships in the Federation. The Federation being so large and spread out it there would no doubt be several theaters of operations requiring most likely a flagship in each one.

A Galaxy-class ship would be the most appropriate for diplomatic missions, followed by trade and then perhaps medical missions.

You no doubt do need multi-purpose ships to handle contingencies of various kinds in far off colonies and systems.

The Galaxy-class is kind of like a Swiss-army knife. It's corkscrew or screwdriver is meant to be capable or adequate or doable but not necessarily great or the best at what you intend it for. For that you need a dedicated corkscrew or screwdriver, a device designed to do only one thing well.

My argument is that you need single-purpose ships also whether military or scientific or medical to handle areas where the multi-purpose ships fall a bit short.

Agreed, Edward.

RIP Gene Wilder. RIP Robert Vaughn. RIP Carrie Fisher. RIP William Christopher. 2016 is the worst!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_class

The Galaxy-class was a Starfleet vessel first introduced in the late 2350s. It was one of the largest and most powerful Federation starship classes of its time, with many serving in the Dominion War.

From the same link:

" Crew support Edit
While Starfleet policy permitted the immediate family of officers and crew to stay aboard starships prior to the advent of the Galaxy-class, it was the first class specifically tailored to accommodate civilian as well as Starfleet personnel. (TNG: "Encounter at Farpoint") Civilians were allowed to hold varying positions in the science division aboard the Galaxy-class. (TNG: "Night Terrors")

Regarding the presence of families on starships, Ronald D. Moore commented "Perhaps [still] on some Galaxy-class ships, but I think this was an experiment that failed." (AOL chat, 1997) "I think that the "family friendly" starship notion was an interesting idea, but one that didn't pan out. There was always something awkward about Picard ordering the ship into battle situations with kiddies running through the corridors. And no matter how much lip service we paid to the "our families are part of our strength" concept, it never seemed very smart or very logical to bring the spouse and kids along when you're facing down the Borg, or guarding the Neutral Zone, or plunging the ship into uncharted spatial anomalies." (AOL chat, 1997)

With the presence of families and non-Starfleet personnel aboard, the Galaxy-class interior was mostly designed for their comfort and the well being of the crew in general. While the major command sections maintained form and functionality above all, there remained a much more "relaxed" feel about the design of many of these areas. ".

You seem to be arguing that it is a battleship above all else. Why then have families and kiddies aboard, civilians of various kinds, designated relaxation rooms, dolphins, a mall where people can shop, etc ?

I'm sorry my friend, but there seems to be a real dichotomy between it being a battleship designed for WAR and the creature comforts it seems to espouse or endorse.

Starfleet if memory serves was badly losing the Dominion War. That forced Starfleet to re-think it's policies regarding the design of it's ships and what their primary purpose should be.

No one, especially a government organization of some kind wants to admit that it was wrong. It usually takes a real crises with it's back against the wall before it will humble itself and set forth a change in policy.

No, there should never have been children aboard the Enterprise with how many times it faced danger, but the Enterprise was built for battle.

It's understandable I think that people would be confused about what the D was built for. Gene
Roddenberry who had great input when the show began wanted a ship that was non-military in nature, it was to be a ship of peaceful exploration hence the kiddies, families, creature comforts aboard the ship.

He also wanted perfect people with no conflicts among themselves. Perfect people combined with a peace-loving ship made for remarkably dull television hence Gene's vision being discarded around season 2 or 3.

So the D ends up being neither a pure battleship nor a peace-loving exploratory ship. It's a strange, odd combination of both.

H.M.S. Hood was the flagship of the British fleet during the early part of WWII look what happened to that ship.In many ways both Enterprise-D and Hood demise in a similar fashion.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The sinking of the Lusitania got us into the first WW.

That and the fact some leaked British intelligence intercepts showed that the Germans were negotiating with the Mexicans for Mexico to attack the US.Whether these intercepts were true or fabricated by the British I am not entirely sure.

The intercepts were true.

What were the Mexicans gonna attack is with? A mop? A burrito? Lol. No letters folks, just kidding.

The Germans were going to provide them with the latest type of arms.

I figured. I was just joking. Lighten, up.

Wilde, you just don't want to admit that Jellico was making stupid-ass changes that would cause his crew to not be at their best right before a potential battle. No one would question his changes if they made sense. It's like in FC when Picard didn't want to sacrifice the Enterprise in order to destroy the Borg. Thank goodness Lilly was there to talk sense into him.

You'll never beat him, Ruby. Wylde is always right, you know.

RIP Gene Wilder. RIP Robert Vaughn. RIP Carrie Fisher. 2016 is the worst!

It was good that Jellineck made Deanna stop wearing the boob uniform. Picard should have done it long ago.

Nah. The boob uniform made her worth looking at.

The boob uniform was stupid.
If everyone else had to wear the stupid uniforms, she should have been wearing one too.
It was a stupid ploy to attract the little boys and wimpy men.

What on Earth would have ever been the reason for her to dress that way?
What if Riker or Geordie showed up for work in their casual clothes? Picard would have went nuts.

No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed in

Picard wasn't trying to look at their tits. Lol.

I think the episode is great in that it shows the personalities of the characters more so than most other episodes.
Jellico is shown as being like an actual person thrown into a situation that they don't want to be in. He walks around insisting that everything be done his way. Who hasn't had a new boss like that before?

Riker being petulant shows that his character probably was petulant. We saw that in the episode where Thomas comes to the ship and the episode when his father comes to the ship. His behavior in this episode is the same as those two.
But this episode really brings it out.

There are no perfect leaders. And even if you think that there is one you can name, most likely he was a tyrant/petulant/arse, etc. to someone that knew him/her.

No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed

Fantastic episode, and agreed, Nak. Nobody is perfect. Except yours truly.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time. RIP Robert Vaughn

Shelby comes in and acts like a pompous butt. She does try to peg Riker down several notches by saying all he knows is how to play it safe and sits in the shadows of Picard. Honestly, how much of a moron do you have to be to tell someone who is a higher rank than you that stuff? From just stuff that came out of Shelby, you get the picture that Shelby was a tad immature and not ready to become the first officer of the flagship. Sure she's young and ambitious, but she was also full of herself. When Riker became captain and selected Shelby as the new first officer with a rank of commander, he knew he could help her calm down and become a more seasoned person like how he was.

And as far as her trying to get Riker's job if Picard had not been assimilated, she wouldn't be getting zilch. Don't see how or know why Starfleet would boot out Riker just to make way for Shelby to take his place..........

Shelby comes in and acts like a pompous butt. She does try to peg Riker down several notches by saying all he knows is how to play it safe and sits in the shadows of Picard. Honestly, how much of a moron do you have to be to tell someone who is a higher rank than you that stuff? From just stuff that came out of Shelby, you get the picture that Shelby was a tad immature and not ready to become the first officer of the flagship. Sure she's young and ambitious, but she was also full of herself. When Riker became captain and selected Shelby as the new first officer with a rank of commander, he knew he could help her calm down and become a more seasoned person like how he was.

I wouldn't say she acted like a pompous ass, she acted like an officer wanting to get the job done, assertive, and for some reason it got Riker's panties in a wad.

Admiral Hanson: "Commander Shelby took over Borg Tactical Analysis six months ago. I've learned to give her a wide latitude when I want to get things done. That's how I intend to operate here."

Shelby was just acting the way she did under the command of Admiral Hanson.

I liked that she was blunt with Riker in the turbo lift.

I think the issue is partly that the Enterprise is a ship of exploration and thus the "military" aspects of Star Fleet were somewhat more relaxed than they would be on a military vessel.

Jellico was coming in to prep to do battle. He didn't want to hear whining about working conditions or see Troi's casual outfits on the bridge. He wanted to give orders and see them implemented - not to have a discussion.

That being said, seems like the Federation should have vessels and personnel specifically dedicated to potential military conflicts. While perhaps the exploration crew of the Enterprise has the ability to deal with a military conflict, the experience and training is far weaker than a military ship.

What are you gonna do? The show was damn entertaining, wasn't it? The flagship did it all.

I think the issue is partly that the Enterprise is a ship of exploration and thus the "military" aspects of Star Fleet were somewhat more relaxed than they would be on a military vessel.

Jellico was coming in to prep to do battle. He didn't want to hear whining about working conditions or see Troi's casual outfits on the bridge. He wanted to give orders and see them implemented - not to have a discussion.

That being said, seems like the Federation should have vessels and personnel specifically dedicated to potential military conflicts. While perhaps the exploration crew of the Enterprise has the ability to deal with a military conflict, the experience and training is far weaker than a military ship.

The Enterprise is the Federation's flagship and always able to go into battle when necessary, as battles aren't always planned ahead of time. The idea that they weren't battle ready until Jellico came aboard is ridiculous.

They weren't ready to do battle, though. The Borg had upped the ante from previous encounters with other aliens. Hence, why the need for preparations for dealing with the Borg.

The Enterprise is also not a combat vessel - it's an exploration vessel. The ship isn't designed for the express purpose of being a military vessel. It has huge crew quarters, space for families, multiple recreation spaces, etc. It's not a ship designed for the express purpose of doing battle. It's closer to being a cruise ship than a battleship.

Gambit, the Enterprise has to be ready at any given moment to do battle, and has on many occasions done so. This is why I have a problem with the Enterprise having children aboard. That makes no sense whatsoever. If I was posted to the Enterprise, I wouldn't even bring my dog along, let alone a child. That would be irresponsible parenting.

I agree with Ruby on this one. They needed upgrades for sure, however. New Intel.

Shelby is hot, in a Brian Dennehy kind of way.

Spenser with an "S", like the poet.

The Enterprise is also not a combat vessel - it's an exploration vessel.

could you imagine Jacques Cousteau's research boat having surface-to-air missiles and depth charges?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12088131/French-oceanographer-Jacques-Cousteaus-iconic-ship-to-sail-again.html

"He's dusted, busted and disgusted, but he's ok"

Bringing it back, huh? Cool.

Heh, he might've had better luck with some of those adventures of his.

He's gotten in some trouble.

This is a problem with the Federation ships. They are just designed to be too multi-purpose and so they end up being a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.

The closest thing I can think of to this is a large Coast Guard vessel. Yes, they are armed and sometimes relatively heavily-armed but their main purpose is search-and-rescue, not direct combat with pure warships.

The Enterprise-D is indeed an exploratory vessel with certain combat capabilities. That does not make it an ideal ship to go up against a pure warship designed and devoted to only pure war-craft.

Excellent point, Eddy.