Star Trek: The Next Generation : What the heck would the Borg want with the Caatati?

What the heck would the Borg want with the Caatati?

This is a Caatati:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caatati

Why the heck would the Collective want to assimilate a species that is as close to "humanoid rodent" as you can get?? I mean, LOOK AT IT!

The Borg have said that some species are not worthy of assimilation, as they would be driven further away from perfection rather than towards it! I say the Caatati is one of those races - I mean, what can they offer?

Why are you here if you haven't seen the movie yet?

Re: What the heck would the Borg want with the Caatati?

Every race needs rat, I guess. Rat race. Lol.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time. RIP Matt Roberts. You were great.

You crack me up. You start a thread begging people to stop starting threads about The Borg. Then, you start a Borg thread.

If you can't beat 'em, Censor, join 'em.

Good enough for me! lol

The Caatati were in huge demand.

Maybe the Borg were interested in their thorium based technology.Which is a technology that is getting a lot of attention around the world in last couple of years since it has many advantages above Uranium fueled reactors.

If the criteria is squarely based on technology, even if it's somewhat inferior to what the Borg have, it may be that they also possess a working knowledge of the technology and there would be little for the Borg to do to educate such people into their own technology.

The criteria for assimilation isn't too well spelled out, but from what I see from the show it looks like this:

1) If the species has achieved warp-travel, or is about to, and is inferior technologically to the Borg, they may be a candidate for assimilation.

2) If that species has a whole civilization, and isn't a bunch of nomads, that makes it even more prime for assimilation.

Meaning that they ordinarily won't try to assimilate anyone who's obviously better than they are (making them proverbial bullies). Running into Species 8472 was a blunder they'd probably wish they could take back, but they likely tried assimilating smaller targets for study, only to have their asses blown out of the sky. I'd imagine if the Borg tried that on the Voth, or an Imperial Star Destroyer, they'd have similar results. One blast from a Star Destroyer's heavy turbolasers would be enough to obliterate a Borg Cube and the one behind it.

One blast from a Star Destroyer's heavy turbolasers would be enough to obliterate a Borg Cube and the one behind it.

NOT CANON, since we've never seen that level of firepower from such ships in the movies, only the Death Star.

Well, given what we've seen on screen with what someone like Boba Fett has on his little ship, the sheer firepower of one of those seismic charges is more than enough to shatter what Star Trek has stated and demonstrated for Federation defenses. So it's reasonable to assume that a warship meant to face off with dynamic foes in its own realm must be able to deliver the firepower necessary to clobber them (otherwise, it isn't a warship). According to technical manuals produced for Star Wars, one blast out of a Heavy Turbolaser Turret (the ISD has six of these things) is 22 Gigatons of TNT.

the sheer firepower of one of those seismic charges

Seismic. In space. ARE YOU F-CKING KIDDING ME, GOOSE????

According to technical manuals produced for Star Wars

Only geeks, and dare I say, saddos, refer to fictional technical manuals.

----Only geeks, and dare I say, saddos, refer to fictional technical manuals. -----

Okay saying that is SO wrong!
Wylde may be a geek, but I, on the other hand am NOT a geek or a saddo. 😠😡

🤓😝

Because you'd be in jail

You read fictional technical manuals Nak?

Well, only like two of them and I have a box set of the blue prints of the enterprise.

Because you'd be in jail

Nerd!!!! Lol.

Movie Theater: Young Frankenstein 10/10. RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time.

Did you see what one of those things did in that asteroid belt in Attack of the Clones? Do you know what it takes to break solid chunks of stone and iron like that, let alone whatever it was that it was able to do? That one thing, right there, if you understand how physics works, is incredible! And it seems that a non-military entity was able to possess this, for how long we don't know? If we take what the Star Trek shows tell us about their defenses, this one device would utterly shatter a Galaxy-class starship with her shields up. Just from the visuals!

There have been bigger engineering geeks than myself who dissected the raw firepower of Star Wars and Star Trek ships both by visuals and what the (admittedly apocryphal) tech manuals stated (Empire Strikes Back apparently delivered a lot of information to these guys, just from one scene where a Star Destroyer was vaporizing stray asteroids with it's smaller turbolasers).

I may be sad, but here's the deal. If those are the only sources of information there is, you go with it. Besides, it's fun to determine just exactly how powerful, engineering-wise, these ships really are.

If you bother to think such things, I guess.

Movie Theater: Young Frankenstein 10/10. RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time.

Okay, I probably have seen parts or even all of the Attack of the Clones,
But, they blow up rocks all the time right now with dynamite.
So, for me anyway, I guess I don't get too excited about how much fire power something has.
Okay but in the "1st" Star Wars, they have that thing that distroys an entire planet! That is scary.
But I am not a nerd.

I just like to look at what the ship's look like. Not so much all the other stuff.(not a nerd)

Because you'd be in jail

Species 8472 was able to destroy an entire planet with five or four much smaller ships than the Death Star.We had the Doomsday Machine which cut up planets into pieces with a beam and consumed the rubble for fuel.V'ger also had formidable power I imagine it can destroy planets quite easily as well.We have had the X'indi weapon that was powerful enough to destroy Earth etc etc.Also when Enterprise NX-01 was testing it's(primitive) lasers it almost blew up an asteroid and these were far less powerful than the phasers weapons that came after that.

I never watched a Trek with species 8472🤔

Because you'd be in jail

Well their concept was quite interesting and they could have gotten more out of them.And since Janeway aided The Borg in their fight against Species 8475 ,one can imagine they won't have very fond feelings for The Federation and someday will come back with a vengeance.My guess is if the fourth TNG movie had been successful Species 8475 would have made an interesting and fearsome foe for a fifth TNG movie.

And what is this "we" stuff?

We like us or the fans of Trek in general CJ.

Humanoid rodent? They're reptilian.

Look more reptilian than rodent. Don't see an issue, really.

This is a Caatati:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caatati

Why the heck would the Collective want to assimilate a species that is as close to "humanoid rodent" as you can get?? I mean, LOOK AT IT!

The Borg have said that some species are not worthy of assimilation, as they would be driven further away from perfection rather than towards it! I say the Caatati is one of those races - I mean, what can they offer?

What difference does it make what the Caatati look like? They were an advanced species with warp drive and may have had a lot of good technology the Borg wanted.

Agreed, Mag.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time. RIP Robert Vaughn

You are completely missing the point it's not what they have now it's what they had before granted they probably wouldn't get a second glance from the borg now but that's not the point it's what technology brought them to the attention of the board in the first place that matters.