Imogen Poots : Roadies.

Roadies.

Okay, I dunno if anyone here is watching Showtime's "Roadies," but though I found the pilot to be pretty lame, I have to admit that the show is growing on me. Of course that's largely due to my fannishness-bordering-on-obsession for the lovely and talented Ms. Poots, but even the other characters have slowly won me over.

Now, on to my Poots-related note: I think I've figured out one thing at least and that is that Kelly Ann's character is entirely represented by her hair. Not to take anything away from Imogen's performance, which I think is grand, despite some lame writing that is undeniably Cameron Crowe's, but Kelly Ann is in fact her hair.

Think about it. In the pilot (or just the first episode, as it were), Kelly Ann is uptight and completely self-contained--as is her hair. It's always wrapped up in a bandana a la "Need for Speed," or else it's confined under a typically Millennial black ski cap. Only at the end of that first episode, when she has her epiphany and runs madly back to join the gang, does she whip off that friggin' hat and we get to see her gorgeous blonde mane flying in the wind as she runs.

Deep, huh?

Okay, then she gets her job back and...you guessed it...back come the caps and bandanas. Kelly Ann seems to have forgotten the source of that epiphany and is right back to moping about, worrying about why no one's given her a proper nickname, what the hell's going on with that British penny pincher, or even what the hell it is she feels about said British penny pincher. Of course a few long whisps break free from time to time (all part of the analogy, right?) but she's right back to where she was.

***On an unrelated side note, I think it would have been funny if Rafe Spall's character had been played by an American faking a Brit accent, while Imogen, a real Brit of course, does her American accent just as she is. ***

So here's my forecast, such as it is: When Kelly Ann finally decides to just get it on with Pinchy McPoundclutcher, off will come that stupid bandana or hat or Seattle Seahawks helmet, or whatever the hell they clamp down on her head next and we'll finally get to see her hair again.

Foofy

Re: Roadies.

It's not a great show, but she steals every scene she's in!

I totally agree, r-feinberg. And if there was any more proof of my theory required, she just spent almost the entirety of episode 6 with a friggin' turkey on her head!

C'mon, Cameron...I was only kidding about the Seattle Seahawks helmet! Let the poor woman's head breathe, will ya? 😝

Foofy

But she wears it well.

Yes, she did. But of course she wears (almost) everything well. 😍

Foofy

Aside from her accent - which is excellent - I'm just not fee 1c84 ling her character. There is just very little endearing about her, which is surprising because the show has a sweetness that itself is very endearing. I've seen seven episodes now, and I think I can confidently say that she is, far and away, my least favorite recurring character on the show. Her mannerisms and constant dour tone are consistently depressing and without much range. Also, the idea of her character skateboarding through a stadium while other roadies try to move huge stacks of equipment is impossibly ridiculous. I think I can confidently claim that any person even attempting such a thing would've either have seen their board snapped over the knee of a 55 year old grizzled actual lighting rigger (not once in over a decade on tour did I ever see anything even resembling an attractive 20 year female lighting rigger) or been canned on the spot. Likewise, her whole storyline encapsulated in the lines, "I have to be a fan of something or I'm useless... My whole belief thing is - it's just starting to crack" is completely laughable. As a roadie, you are there to do a job. You are not there to be a fangirl, however tortured and introspective; you are there to work. I want to like her, I truly do. But unfortunately, at least thus far for me, there is very little redeeming about her character.

bjmachristian, I kind of agree with everything you just said, but still find myself really attracted to her. Dilemma.

Unfortunately, I have to agree as well. I'm a fan of Ms. Poots though, even if not so much her character or how she's written, so I'll keep watching regardless.

Foofy