Shu Qi : Asian actresses are way too thin

Asian actresses are way too thin

Out of curiosity, is there any asian actress who is some what fit and healthy looking? I've seen a few movies staring asian actresses. They are all beautiful women but none of them seem to have any muscle between their bones and skin. I've been told that it is apealing for asian women to be fragile looking. But come on. The whole time I was watching those movies I was worried they'll just shatter into pieces.

Let me clearify. I don't think they should look buff like men. But some toned muscle here and there can add some solidity to these women.

Yes, a lot of Hollywood actresses are also thin but I just looked some of them up and they all had more muscle tone. But I've never seen any asian actress with a hint of biceps (with the exception of few who are more martial artiest than actress).

I'm aware that idea of beauty is different for different people and culture. I just thought being healthy should always be a part of the overall concept of beauty.

what do you all think?

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Asian actresses are way too thin

They used to exist But sadly Hong Kong cinema has changed for the worse.

To see what I mean watch movies like Police Story (from the 80's) and compare them to the poo they turn out these days.

Post deleted

They wear belly-exposing outfits, but yet they don't have any abs (just flat, undefined stomachs). Personally, I like seeing actresses who have muscle tone and look fit.

so true. I've flipped through some entertainment mags, and HK celebs like Twins, Cecilia Cheung, or whatever, are utterly thin, but then have zero sort of muscle. I mean, it's just flat, no abs. I think it's gross, not beautiful. sad.gif

-GOB afro.gif

It's all ab1354out image these days. Just like in the US, just like anywhere really. Woman cannot be fat or even a little chubby otherwise their status is under threat. Just very thin, perfect hair, skin ect

They don't even have to be good actors, just that they look right.

I know if I was living in HK I'd turn celibate ;)

true true. the singers also. the only person i can think of not is janice vidal

I'm no expert on this subject, but I really can't see why you go around calling most of the actors just plain thin and not very well trained. First of all, nothing wrong with being thin, if it's not verging on unhealthy. Furthermore, many of the asian actors are either well trained dancers, martial art experts or both (at least those most commonly assosiacted with international "blockbusters"). Please don't think less of woman who doesn't do 500 sit-ups a day to keep their abs in _extremely_ perfect shape

Hugs from Norway, a 2000land with way to few asian girls! ;)

-when in doubt, faint.-

Asian women are generally very thin,have small breasts, a small nose,a fragile look etc..That doesn't mean they are not very healthy.Nature made them so,as nature made some other people hairy for example.I have watched a tv documentary about women here longing for losing some weight and spending much money on diet,medicine and training.So why complain about being very thin ?as long as you are not ill, let it be.

i just wanna remind you guys that NOT ALL asians are thin. i would agree that many are way too thin than normal but i think it's just the way we are. i DO NOT and i WILL NEVER starve myself but i'm actually thinner than the normal teenager. by the way, just because a lot of asians are thin it doesn't mean that these people starve themselves.

here are some pics of asians that are not thin if you want

http://www.taliba.com.ph/@/photooftheday/Aubrey-Miles-thumb.jpg

http://www.pinoystyle.net/slide_show.htmlshow=?Angela_Velez&picture=picture15.jpg

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/pictures/00001583.jpg

It's funny to see what Americans write. Many have little to no knowledge of what they speak of and yet act as if they have all the answers. Many of the Chinese women I encounter in Beijing are thin by nature. Yes there is a strong trend to be thin, but their diets are much healthier than those in the USA. Going to the gym is not natural to them, however many do other forms of exercise that the average person in the U.S. does not.

Don't get me wrong, I love the states as I am a native New Yorker. But internationally I am finding out many people look at the States as a country full of overweight people.

From what I have experienced here, I would have to agree.

Yeah, we are a country full of overweight people, but we are also taller, have more cars, go absurd amounts of heavy gym workouts which all contribute to the skewing of health in the States.

On topic, I think when looking at another country and determining standards of "thinness" you have to factor in diet, type of exercise, and natural shape. I can't think of any Chinese actresses with wide hips, and I've seen alot of Korean actress that have a somewhat disporportionate shoulder width to waist size and height, and etc. Thin is not always unhealthy you know.

Michelle Yeoh has some meat on her bones.

Asians take less meat, more rice, if you try a protein-low, carbo-based diet, you'll get thin too. Trust me.

Post deleted

I agree! It's because of the asian diet. Compared to americans, asians are smaller, shorter, etc. My 25 year old cousin is the size of an average 12 year old american girl, and she eats very healthy.

I see you've never traveled to Asia. Take a lot of some nude photos of Shu Qi slim but not skinny with full breasts. That's the norm for Chinese.

Post deleted

It is not that asian women are too thin, it is the other way around - US women are too FAT.

Ahaha! That's new. Well, if you look at our varying diets, then yes. If I were surrounded by an excess of vegetables and fish, as opposed to livestock and cheese, maybe I'd be thinner too. Eh Naturally, we're larger, and Asian women are smaller. I would think that they are a bit on the small side, but I'm naturally larger anyway. I am a true African, and my whole family is naturally strong and tall. The foods we eat have tended to compound muscle on our bodies. Even when I don't work out, I might gain only 5-10 pounds of fat and lose little definition. While many of my American friends could eat and act as I do and gain about 30-35 pounds and become completely "soft."

In short, I would attribute it to not only culture, but diet. Fragile women here tend to look more "buff," but then again, the food in the U.S. could be questionable in its content.

But, what do I know, I'm not even from here.

Discuss.

ONE.

Post deleted

I have to agree with you on this one.

But I also find Asian women to be just that: women. I have been in Korea for over a year and would date an Asian before I would date an American. It is a shame that so many Asian women want to be Westernized as appearances go. That is a shame.

"You Americans are a mystery to everyone but yourselves."
http://www.imdb.com/board/10092316/

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

OhMyGod

EXCUSE MEH! The person who started this post is an idiot, he/she didnt even try to clarify that not ALL asian actresses are thin and he/she was being BIASED. Thats what makes the person who started this post an idiot. I mean maybe I'm wrong maybe your not an IDIOT, that this is just your opinion and if it is then maybe you should have clarified that at the beginning, duh, but if it isnt your an idiot. Anyways I'm out-x

CAPITALS

It was pretty obvious that it was the poster's opinion that asian actresses are thin. Also, biased, everythings biased, everything. Anyways, it is a proven fact that ALL asian actresses are unhealthily thin.

That last part was just a joke, if you couldn't figure out anyways.

Post deleted

most asians IN asia (not the US) just naturally don't eat buttery or fat-loaded food. that's it. plus they are typically thin by nature while the other half are in some type of 3rd world country deficit/poverty where naturally i don't think Big Macs or overeating are their main concern here in the US, well, a lot of people have eyes too big for their stomach (including myself)

that's retarded, first of all, just compare the bone structure and size between white and asian people.

white people have bigger bones and they are bigger in size because the bone structure is bigger, and asians are so the opposite.

it's all in the science.

as for the muscle, americans tend to exercise more while asians are fans of slimming pills and slimming centres, just flip through any asian magazine and half of the advertisements are of slimming pills/centres.

-=~*remember my name.remember my face.cuz there ain't no other honey who can take my place*~=-

I agree with what you said about bone structure but you cannot say that americans tend to exercise more and asians mostly take pills to stay slim.

You dont see exercise machines in U.S magazines. Does that mean Americans arent fans of the gym?

If you want to talk about stupidity, reread your comment.

no the cultures are different.

american culture is all about "thick and toned" or "slim and toned"

but the culture in asia is more of being THIN with no muscle/fat mass on our bodies at all, aka SKINNY.

i reread my comment, no stupidity in there. too bad.

hey check out grace park, (boomer) from battlestar galactica..shes actually quite toned and fit as she needs to be for the show and yes she is thin..and so, even if some of us asians do tone up we are naturally thin..although i myself dont fit into the naturally thin asian category

pax out

I don't know about China, but I know that Hong Kong has a huge culture of being thin or rather "keeping fit".

I'm pretty normal, to thin by North American standards - but in Hong Kong standards I'm large. It's really fun going back to Hong Kong and having my family members point this out to me time and time again.

The actresses in Hong Kong are very thin, and there really is no way to tell whether or not they are like that by nature or otherwise. I have a lot of Asian friends who can eat like a horse, but they still can't any higher than 110 pounds. Myself? I don't quite have the same metabolism. I'm still relatively thin considering how much I really do eat, but I do try to watch what I eat and I do work out because I do not have the same skinny frame as lot of Asian people do.

But what can you do about it? The North American skinny culture is comparative to the Hong Kong skinny culture, I think at least.

I'm pretty normal, to thin by North American standards - but in Hong Kong standards I'm large. It's really fun going back to Hong Kong and having my family members point this out to me time and time again.

This made me LOL. I am on normal/thin side by N. American standards, but whenever I go to HK, my relatives and stuff always tell me things like, "Wow, you gained a lot of weight."

This does not help my ego, hahaha.

But back to the original question, I think it's just the way Asian actresses are built. In HK, seriously every single female I saw was thinmaybe it's genes or culture or the way of life.

It is probably about the food diet americans and asians eat. Asians usually eat steamed food while americans usually eat western food.

This made me LOL. I am on normal/thin side by N. American standards, but whenever I go to HK, my relatives and stuff always tell me things like, "Wow, you gained a lot of weight."

SAME! And I always get hungry when I'm in Hong Kong, cuz the servings are like a quarter of what I eat in North America.

And HK definitely does not have a "culture of being fit." Asian females dare not necessarily biologically predisposed to being thin though they do have a smaller frame. It's all about being skinny, it's surprising to see an Asian female with muscle tone.

(and note, I'm talking about Asian Asian, not Asian-Americans. They are in a different culture, they have different ideas of beauty than China, HK, Korea, Japan, etc.)

+++
"You're losing blood, aren't you?"
"Probably. My socks are wet."
2face.gif i <3 AD

I think you've been had. We as Americans think our standards & ways are the only valid onesvery small minded indeed! I for one, love asian women. I've lived in Japan for 9 years of my life & have travelled all throughout Asia. When I came back to America, the first thing I thought was, where are all the good looking women? Almost all the American women are overweight! This is due to our horrible diet & lifestyle, as well as lineage. Take an average 50 or 60 year old Japanese woman & compare with an 50 or 60 year old American & the American will be about 50 pounds heavier. Not for me! I'll take the "skinny" ones!

Post deleted

Joanna Bacalso, Gina Hiraizumi, And that one girl from the descent, Brenda Song

hey most asians are naturally thin.

Asian actresses (and Asian women in general) are some of the most beautiful and feminine women in the world. They may look fragile, but rarely break (and I mean that in every sense of the word). Their frailty is quite often part of their appeal, although in m2000y experience, only masking a true confidence and commitment to selfless ideals that can not be shaken by the appearences of others. If the peoccupation with the possiblity of them shattering is overwhelming your viewing expierience, perhaps this site (http://www.filmweb.no/filmogkino/english/article54082.ece) might help you find some films were the women are a bit more.sturdy.

Asian actresses (and Asian women in general) are some of the most beautiful and feminine women in the world. They may look fragile, but rarely break (and I mean that in every sense of the word). Their frailty is quite often part of their appeal, although in my experience, only masking a true confidence and commitment to selfless ideals that can not be shaken by the appearances of others. If the preoccupation with the possibility of them shattering is overwhelming your viewing experience, perhaps this site (http://www.filmweb.no/filmogkino/english/article54082.ece) might help you find some films where the women are a bit more.sturdy.

Post deleted

sorry bro, gotta disagree with ya on this. If I had a choice between someone like Keira Knightly or Uma Thurman, who all have muscle tone, or someone like Shu Qi or Hyori, who are more sensual than muscular, I would pick one of the asian women in a heartbeat.

Rest easy@night-there are devils out there(me)who hunt evil in shadows and mist

i 100% agree with what you say!

Generally speaking, asian women are more petite than western women
Eastern diet also also contributes to a smaller body mass

asian women are physiologically thinner. they aren't trying to look too thin, they naturally look that way. Gong Li is larger I suppose. So is Michelle Yeoh.

Or maybe it's because American actresses are way too fat.

"I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad."

Lots of Asians are thin (but not too thin, imo) high metabolism or perhaps high discipline. They don't look all sickly because of their build. Of course everyone is different.