Politics : The 2020 Presidential election begins this week

The 2020 Presidential election begins this week

President Donald Trump took office just weeks ago, but now he is set to travel to Orlando Saturday for what the White House has termed "a campaign event."

The event, which is listed on Trump's campaign website, will take place at a hangar at the Orlando-Melbourne International Airport, the site of a previous Trump campaign rally in September.

Trump repeatedly took aim at former President Barack Obama for his campaign efforts while in office.

Asked about the event Wednesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer called the rally "a campaign event" and said it is "being run by the campaign."

On the day of his inauguration, Trump filed paperwork with the Federal Election Committee indicating a possible re-election bid in 2020. Trump wrote that his filing, "does not constitute a formal announcement," but as a result, he is able to collect donations.

President Barack Obama didn't file his re-election paperwork until April 2011, 19 months before the 2012 presidential election; President George W. Bush didn't file until May 2003, 18 months before the 2004 election.

"Many times in the past, what sitting presidents have done in the first two years is really suspend any fundraising activities for their campaign committees," former FEC chair Michael Toner told ABC News in January, adding that the move could help keep the dollars flowing. "It gives them flexibility to raise money for a potential re-election effort."

In 2011, Trump tweeted that the country was "blowing up" in 2011 while Obama was "out campaigning," and asking, "Does @BarackObama ever work? He is constantly campaigning and fundraising--on both the taxpayer's dime and time---not fair!"

The White House confirmed Wednesday that Trump will fly aboard Air Force One to Florida this weekend for a previously scheduled trip to his home at Mar-a-Lago. It is not yet clear how he will travel from there to Orlando for Saturday's event.

http://abc7.com/news/president-trump-holding-campaign-event-in-florida-saturday/1756835/

Election season literally never ends now.

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member

Re: The 2020 Presidential election begins this week

Campaign season? Again?!!!

Well, that is one reason to not mind the demise of this board.

God knew he was good and God did look the other way that day.

It's too much. Seriously. Who has time for actual governing when you have to hit the campaign trail 3 years and 9 months before the election...

Obama was forced to do it early too. That being said, he didn't have nearly the same amount of media hatred directed his way as Trump does.

The amount of corporate oligarchical media opposition Trump is facing is rather unprecedented.

-------------------------------
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

- George Bernard Shaw

I don't care if it's President Obama, President Trump, Republican, or Democrat. These endless campaigns are just too much.

My sentiments exactly.

Citizen's United was a travesty for Democracy, what was left of it.

That being said, we may have a champion of the people in President Trump. He already killed the TPP. Hopefully he will keep fighting for the people.

- George Bernard Shaw

Citizen's United was a travesty for Democracy, what was left of it.

No argument there.

That being said, we may have a champion of the people in President Trump.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

He already killed the TPP.

Eh, I would have preferred for the TPP to be renegotiated rather than just completely scrapped. Oh well. There are talks of China replacing the US in the TPP so it could very well still move forward for Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam. Hopefully, the Trump administration comes up with something to replace this deal sooner rather than later. Agriculture specifically needs this trade deal or something similar to it.

Scrapping the TPP, scrapping the ability of multi-national corporations to regulate the US government, was preferable to having corporations control US government regulations.

If we had Hillary's "gold standard" of trade deals TPP pass, we would have had more US job losses, but even worse, more corporate control over government. If the TPP had passed, like Obama wanted, then you could essentially say goodbye to the EPA, food safety regulations, and most any other regulation which protected US citizens from dangerous corporate products.

- George Bernard Shaw

As I said, I would have preferred for the TPP to be renegotiated rather than just completely scrapped. But sh!t happens. I agree that it was flawed and gave way too much power to transnational corporations. But the US economy, and the agriculture sector(I work in Ag hence why I keep bringing it up) needs some kind of new trade deal(s) with those 11 countries. I have very little faith in President Trump but hopefully he cobbles something together with those countries sooner rather than later.

Don't kid yourself. For the Democrats the 2020 Presidential election started the minute Trump went over 270 electoral college votes he needed.

I am not 'kidding' myself. As I stated above:
I don't care if it's President Obama, President Trump, Republican, or Democrat. These endless campaigns are just too much.

Trump wrote that his filing, "does not constitute a formal announcement," but as a result, he is able to collect donations.

I'm not even shocked or disgusted. It's very Trumplike, he's an excellent conman.

~
Goodbye Soapbox, Hello Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/user/rouge6/

I guess President Trump is finally dropping the 'I can't be bought because I'm self-funding my own campaign' nonsense.

No one has ever exploited their public offices more than Bill and Hillary Clinton. Broke in 2001, 9-figures mega rich today.

Leftist philosophy and policies deny both human nature and reality

President Trump may end up giving the Clintons a run for their money. You have to love how Trump is essentially funneling tax dollars to himself via Mar-A-Lago every single time he goes down there. Which is now 3 weekends in a row, right?

Don't confuse this for a defense of the Clintons. I never much cared for them and the only good thing that has come out of President Trump's win is hopefully the end of Hillary's political career. IMO.

I think the scale is different. The Clintons went from "broke" to mega-rich in a few years from their public office. Trump's benefits from events at Mar-A-Lago are tip money in his world.

The Clintons are the crooked televangelists of the political world.

So? They made all that money giving speeches and investing. Fair and square.

Congratulations. You are the Kellyanne Conway of the Clintons.

a possible re-election bid in 2020. Trump wrote that his filing, "does not constitute a formal announcement," but as a result, he is able to collect donations.

What happens to those donations collected if he does not run?
Into an account with the GOP for next one up?

Trump lies:
Mexico is going to pay for the wall.
I can stop federal funds.

It depends on what kind of donations he is soliciting.

The Federal Election Commission has strict rules about what federal candidates can and can't do with leftover campaign money, and the biggest directive is that they can't pocket it for personal use.

Here's what a campaign committee is allowed to do with any lingering cash: it can donate the funds to charities or political parties; it can contribute $2000 per election to other candidates; and it can save the money in case the candidate chooses to run again. However, those regulations don't apply to the relatively new super PACs (Political Action Committees); this is only the second election where they have played a role, and there are currently no rules to stipulate what happens to that money beyond that it cannot go to fund another federal candidate. Much of that money tends to be returned to its original donors, used to wrap up the failed campaign, or donated to back a state-level candidate. The goal, however, is always to spend all of that money.

Eh, the facts of the story are not being disputed. President Trump is holding a campaign event this weekend and that was the only facet of the story I was interested in. 'Embellishments' and the source are pretty much irrelevant to the point I was making. The campaign season is too long and basically never ends now.

That explains his latest tweet bashing US Healthcare in a way as if he were still campaigning and making crazy promises.

Everyone on here especially Trump sycophants should be required to have a Twitter following Trump. He bashes the Hell out of the US in every way just like the anti-American spoiled rotten Trumpists.

Formerly Self-Appointed_Digby_Scout

I am normally highly critical of President Trump's Twitter usage but his latest Tweet is actually legit:

@realDonaldTrump
Venezuela should allow Leopoldo Lopez, a political prisoner & husband of @liliantintori (just met w/ @marcorubio) out of prison immediately.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/832016501657968640

Mr. Lopez should be released as I'm fairly certain he did not incite violence through the use of subliminal messages.

The outcome of the trial was unsurprising. The justice system in Venezuela has long been at the service of its authoritarian government, which has grown increasingly brazen in its efforts to sideline the opposition as confidence in President Nicolás Maduro has plummeted.

The charges against Mr. López, a Harvard-educated former mayor of one of the municipalities that make up Caracas, were scurrilous. Mr. Maduro ordered his arrest in February 2014 and charged him with stoking violence as demonstrations against the government were spreading. The government, in its criminal complaint, preposterously claimed that Mr. López had incited Venezuelans to violence through subliminal messages.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/14/opinion/free-venezuelas-leopoldo-lopez.html