Oldboy : FYI

FYI

hi guys. sorry for being a smarta55, but i though you should know this.

many people write that spike tried this and spike tried that, while in fact he did nothing but direct. the script was already finalized when spielberg was still involved, who btw did leave because the production company denied him changes to the script. that was how long before they hired spike? 5 years? 6 years? so spike had no input except visually and maybe soundtrack wise. as it turned out, he did not even get the final cut.

while i hate the man, he is not to blame for this terrible failure of a film, except for being such a greedy pig as to accept the job. also for all his outragous behaviour during the production of the film, meaning his disrespect towards park, also straight up lying to the man and all of us for that matter, his behavior after the film tanked and the embarrassement of talking about "his" directors cut. it wasn't his script, how could it be his directors cut?

Re: FYI

It's not even incompetently made. I don't hate it, it just wasn't good. I was very disappointed because the screenplay wasn't strong at all. Apparently, Brolin even said that the film had far too much studio interference and denounced the final cut.

i hate it. i wasn't the biggest fan of the idea of spielberg remaking it, but at least he insisted to do something close to the manga, meaning an almost completely different story, no incest ...etc, maybe even pg-13, which means that he would have done, what lee promised: a new take on the source material.

"I was very disappointed because the screenplay wasn't strong at all. "
agreed.

"Apparently, Brolin even said that the film had far too much studio interference and denounced the final cut. "

it was 100% planned and done by the studio and nobody else had any say. lee was the olny director to be enough of a whore to agree to do exactly what the studio said.

at least he insisted to do something close to the manga, meaning an almost completely different story, no incest ...etc, maybe even pg-13, which means that he would have done, what lee promised: a new take on the source material.

He might have said that but Matt Reeves said the same thing about 'Let Me In'. It would probably have been more original (i.e. no incest, PG-13) but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up using the hallway scene or the hammer.