Oldboy : For Adrian's plan to work, he left an awful lot to chance.....(spoilers)

For Adrian's plan to work, he left an awful lot to chance.....(spoilers)

....Yes, the umbrella lady led him directly to the van where Maria/Mia is working, but even in the exposition in the end, Adrian says it just took 20 years to "mold" her to fall in love with a man like Joe. What if she doesn't stop him from attacking the guy who wound up with the umbrella? What if Chucky doesn't call her when Joe passes out? What if Joe throws away her card? At least the hypnosis element of the original gave a rationale for why they were attracted to each other, as opposed to Adrian just assuming everything would fall into place as it did.

Anyway, that's my biggest gripe with the movie. Didn't think it was terrible overall, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItMJtA8vfpw

Re: For Adrian's plan to work, he left an awful lot to chance.....(spoil

As someone pointed out on another thread, there's no evidence Pryce left "everything to chance," and quite a lot to suggest he didn't.

He was watching them all, all the time. He very likely had multiple exigency plans in place in case one version of the "meet cute" failed to get them to fall for each other.

Remember, this guy had a lot of time to set everything up, monitor, strategize, and adjust as necessary. He also had effectively limitless funding, and nothing else whatsoever on his plate.

We just witnessed the one scenario that did work.

I agreed with OP until I read this. You're right, he did monitor every single one of their actions. From that I would think that he had several means to fulfill his goal one way or another.

Hell, Pryce even said at the end that he spent time trying to find the right parents for "Mia", who would raise who to fit the personally needed to be attracted to a broken man like Joe.

The whole thing is utterly absurd that Adrian would blame a douche like Joe because his father not only diddled his sister, but killed everyone else and almost him too. I mean the whole concept was whacked. I mean what did Joe do wrong besides tease his sister, when Joe didn't even know that was her dad she was with? And how did that later on make dad kill the rest of the family?

Then why would Joe be so damned crushed later one when this utterly evil master manipulator tricked him into screwing his daughter? He did it out of total ignorance. Maybe it made more sense to a Korean, but to me it was just a big mindphukk with lots of gratuitous violence.

What are they doing? Why do they come here?
Some kind of instinct, memory, what they used to do.

first paragraph answer: i think that nobody wants to be pointed out as an incestuous family. untill you try it you probably have no idea how it feels.

paragraph 2: korean or not, when someone *beep* their own daughter by mistake or not, it is humiliating. untill you try it you wouldnt know the pain, perhaps.

it would hurt for a while. But for some guy who had been imprisoned and messed with for years, I would be more angry at Adrian and sure as heck wouldn't want to go back to prison for something I didn't do intentionally, which BTW is not a crime either
And the jailer and his men would want to kill him for what he did to them earlier.

What are they doing? Why do they come here?
Some kind of instinct, memory, what they used to do.

I think it would have been better to actually see Adrian use one of his contingency plans to get them together. Instead they just get together real easily out of pure luck of everything going so smoothly. If we actually saw Adrian have to use a contingency plan, that would be better.

Okay, I was wondering about this kinda, sorta. Somewhere in the movie I got a bit confused, because after Joe rescues her, we see that Pryce is watching her too. And then it looked like Maria was in the know, like she knew that Pryce was watching, and she was simply a part of his plan, but she didn't know that Joe was her father. So then the big reveal at the end left thinking okay, so she didn't know Joe was her dad, but at some point fell in love with him, in the process of helping Pryce?

I guess that "knowing look" she gave the camera in her home threw me off a bit. So I'm really asking was she helping Pryce, not knowing that she was helping him get revenge on her father?

(?_?)

nakman21
Okay, I was wondering about this kinda, sorta. Somewhere in the movie I got a bit confused, because after Joe rescues her, we see that Pryce is watching her too. And then it looked like Maria was in the know, like she knew that Pryce was watching, and she was simply a part of his plan, but she didn't know that Joe was her father. So then the big reveal at the end left thinking okay, so she didn't know Joe was her dad, but at some point fell in love with him, in the process of helping Pryce?

I guess that "knowing look" she gave the camera in her home threw me off a bit. So I'm really asking was she helping Pryce, not knowing that she was helping him get revenge on her father?

Your theory would explain why Maria glommed on to Joe and basically stalked him until he allowed her into his life. In her work, Maria must have met many down and out men. If she had the tendency to "take home stray puppies", why didn't she already have "project" by the time Joe came along?

No two persons ever watch the same movie.

If she had the tendency to "take home stray puppies", why didn't she already have "project" by the time Joe came along?

Just a possibility: she DID have a "project," but he suddenly went away (died in an accident, drug overdose, or suddenly got rich and left town).

In other words, she could well have had multiple "projects" beforehand, but Adrian got rid of them all in time for Joe to become her newest project.

im guessing the plan was to drop him close to Marie, and make sure she sees him attack the man with the umbrella (who most likely works for Adrian).
also Joe knows he cannot go to the police so he will keep any help he can have, especially medical attention if needed.

now if we assume Joe didnt attack anyone, Adrian would send an attacker to stab him while holding the card.

im certain he had plan B for everything and plan C for every plan B.
worst case scenario, he can just tell him that if he wants to see his daughter again, just answer those two questions.

I agree. I thought it was silly.

Joe could have commited suicide/died from natural causes during his 20 year imprisoment.

Joe could have and nearly did escape on his own.

Joe and marie very easily could not have met up.

Joe could have been killed by samuel l jackson

Adrian's plan relied on EVERYTHING falling into place and could very easily have failed.