Cliff Emmich : Cliff Emmich in 'Barracuda'

Cliff Emmich in 'Barracuda'

***SPOILER WARNING!!!***
***SPOILER WARNING!!!***
***SPOILER WARNING!!!***
***SPOILER WARNING!!!***
***SPOILER WARNING!!!***

Just watching Wayne Crawford & Harry Kerwin's BARRACUDA for about the fiftieth time and if you ask me Cliff's Deputy Lester steals the show for every scene he's in. He's the only one in the whole movie with any common sense too and I like how serious his character is about his police work in even a small town. He almost gets to be the Unlooked For Hero at the end if Bush hadn't corrupted the police with all those ex Haliburton & Blackwater sharpshooters.

Fat Cop Syndrome is one of the standards of horror films, usually with the dumb horny party animal kids rolling into town with the machete killer on the loose and the only police presence in the form of a 375 pound guy who's usually got either a girlie magazine or a big sloppy sandwich for company in his one man headquarters. Probably a bottle of booze too, and it's nice that Lester was written in a way that breaks that mold while sort of paying it a nod:

If you watch his first scene, Cliff is propped up asleep with a Penthouse but has actually been reading the articles, and is inquisitive enough to ask for clarification on a term he had not encountered before. Sure, he cleans off the sheriff's beans at the diner but Lester is far from stupid, runs a tight ship for a small town and is actually an effective law enforcement officer. He's also got fans amongst the local populace who see beyond his rotund frame, and from the sounds of it that schoolmarm who called up looking for Lester when he was in the washroom has the hots for him The sheriff even covers for why he's absent to help keep up Lester's image with the ladies, meaning that he's a valued friend whom the sheriff cares about enough to fib a little for.

One thing I adore about the way Cliff plays Lester is as a poor, overworked guy who's always hot, tired, and in need of sleep. Which got me thinking, maybe that's how the experimental drugs in the bottled water water effected him. He's a hearty enough eater so that the nutrients in the foods he eats probably can sustain him without the hostility side effects kicking in. But it makes him tired, easily wiped out by the heat, and he can't get comfortable on that 1950s era office furniture. And he keeps chugging so much bottled water down that no matter how much he perspires he never loses a pound.

What's also interesting about the way Lester's role was written is that he is always the one to break the news of the barracuda attacks, and then the murders of Lloyd, Toby and Maggie Snow. Wayne Crawford's hero Mike even entrusts the delightful Roberta Layton to Lester for safe keeping while he goes off to find the sheriff at the chemical plant. Mike wouldn't have sent her with him unless he was sure she'd be safe with him, and my idea of how the story might continue after is that Lester & Liza survive and eventually hook up.

Re: Cliff Emmich in 'Barracuda'

Squonkamatic,

Check your private message inbox.