Film General : How to SAVE THE BOARDS

How to SAVE THE BOARDS

Businesses only understand the language of money. Amazon (who now own imdb) want to shut down these boards because they want to control the narrative of what you should like/buy.

SO, we need to apply pressure in the right places. Step 1 is to go on iMDB's Facebook and Twitter and cause a HURRICANE. Explain the importance of the boards, and how they're the only thing that keeps iMDB relevant, as well as the business benefits of being able to market to a like-minded community.

THEN, if they close the boards, do this EVEN MORE so that every single public-facing aspect of iMDB and Amazon is bombarded with reminders of what they did, and begging them to reopen the boards. Be relentless, this will only work when the public outcry is so severe that it becomes bad for business.

Re: How to SAVE THE BOARDS

Should we also boycott Amazon?

Ciao,

Roberto

Absolutely, but make it public - let Amazon and everyone else know why you're boycotting, and be sure to mention that you'll lift the boycott if they keep/reopen the boards. Give them tough love.

Ciao,

Roberto

Yep sounds good, but mention why you've done so on public media - they won't want their brand name damaged so be sure to make a lot of noise.

They already kinda post to nobody. I "liked" their page on Fb and hardly anybody replies to their posts. The notion in their statement that everybody is switching and discussing movies on imdb fb page is flat out BS. Check for yourself. In fact, all the mad posts about taking off message boards on imdb fb is the most traffic they've had

W.W.V.K.F.R.G.D.? What Would Val Kilmer From Real Genius Do?

That's good - be sure to add to the fire. It's possible they announced the closure so that they could gauge the level of discontent before actually going ahead with it, so go raise hell on Facebook, Twitter, anywhere else you can think of.

I'd support a monthly/yearly fee over this.

I think many would. Trouble is you'll get very few posters and the boards will dry up. The fact that anyone can drop in and give their thoughts is why the boards have been so successful - casual viewers discussing films with enthusiasts, everyone chipping in.

Better to suggest an advertising model to iMDB that saves the boards while making them rich.

That would be ideal, but how does one go about creating a vast forum where every single film has its own dedicated discussion board?

Forget FB and bs like that, we can start our own up…

…with blackjack and hookers!

Seriously though, I'm seeing a few of these things start up already, it will be interesting to see who wins the war. And then perhaps in 20 years we can do this all again.

Is there anywhere starting up that offers a separate board for every movie?

Is there anywhere starting up that offers a separate board for every movie?

That's what I'm waiting for. So far I've only seen a whole bunch of movie boards stuck together, which really doesn't work, the exception being Rotten Tomatoes - but as of right now a lot are empty. When these boards are gone, I'm sure they'll fill up in no time.

I tried posting in a Rotten Tomatoes board and it didn't even appear. I think their boards are a dead wasteland. Might be worth hitting up 'Minds' on Twitter - they created a free-speech alternative to YouTube without all the regressive censorship, and they might be interested in doing the same for the IMDB boards if enough people suggest it to them on Twitter/Facebook…

Tell me how many boycotts against businesses have worked?

I will tell you very few have worked longer than a short time. Also some boycotts have increased business for some companies.

Amazon is a worldwide company this boycott would be a mosquito bite on an elephant.

- - - -
Whadda ya hear! Whadda ya say!

A boycott is fine, but I'm suggesting a vast, powerful, relentless campaign on public media.

you are dreaming

- - - -

Correct, question is do you want to make the dream a reality or not?

What about the millions of people that only shop on Amazon? You are not going to get help from them. They are a constant source of money.

- - - -

Why do I need 'help from them'? An assault on iMDB's social media outlets, and some on Amazon's, by the people here would be more than enough.

Do you have a better solution, or just loser whining?

I do not have a plan how to save it. But I know your way will fail.

- - - -

Law expert unnecessary. We can do this ourselves (with our computer, granted).

What they haven't considered is the financial cost of closing the boards - if we raise enough hell on Facebook/Twitter (and all the other places they'd like us to migrate to where we're more vulnerable to Amazon's targeted advertising) the negative publicity they receive will eventually outweigh the miniscule savings made by closing the boards.

So go forth and make your thoughts known on iMDB's Facebook page, on their Twitter, anywhere Amazon or iMDB are being discussed. Punish them for doing this, but be sure to reward them if they keep/reopen the boards. Carrot and stick. Hurting them financially, by smearing their brand if they close the boards, is the only play we have left.

Would be my guess also that negative comments they cant control hurts ad sales.

You cant have users dislike movies on a site with information about movies can we?
only positive comments allowed

If you want to hurt IMDB id suggest you keep using it and only give 2 and 3 grades on movies im fairly certain that will hurt them. (sadly also innocent movies but cant make a omelet without breaking some eggs ask IMDB they just removed the forum)

I like your idea of giving movies low ratings - although be sure to threaten them with this publicly first. Carrot and stick.

You'd think they'd prefer negative movie comments to be relegated to an enthusiasts discussion board than spewed over Facebook/Twitter/Reddit, but I guess they want us to migrate to social media where we can't be anonymous (and therefore can receive targeted advertising from Amazon) what we need to do is make sure that the only thing we discuss that's movie related is getting them to reopen the iMDB boards.

When they know this move has horribly backfired financially they'll consider reversing it.

*beep* them, who gives a *beep* I'm to busy *beep* whores to care about them closing the boards. I probably *beep* your mom.

AND THEN, WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO?

Good to see lots of action on Facebook guys, but Twitter needs a lot more attention. Please head over there and bombard every IMDB tweet with pleas to keep the boards open!

hashtag alot #saveimdbmessageboards #saveimdb #imdb those are what the cool kids are hashtagging (and me) PLUS the petition (the extra cool kids):

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#">https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#

good idea… those ***** care more about money than their own lives

The OP is right. There is still a chance to save the message boards.

that won't work. sure there will be a lot of comments complaining about the closure on IMDb's Facebook posts but people will eventually forget, yesterday for example every single comment was about them closing the board but already today you can see a lot of comments are on topic so gradually it will die out.

It was long ago and it was far away,
And it was so much better than it is today….

It will only die out if the individual chooses that.

My suggestion would be to ignore their Facebook and other social media that's associated with IMDB. The more we ignore their "alternatives" the more they'll realize that they made a stupid mistake.

I've said this before but I think the plan has all along been to shut down the boards in order to make people join through facebook. There won't be any writing of reviews or rating without it but they will announce it later. I'm not against facebook in anything but I do think these things should be kept separate.

Yeah that's the problem with people these days. It's like everyone has been programmed to just lay down and accept whatever ****tyness befalls them instead of doing anything about it.

You know they aren't bringing the message boards back, right?