Film General : Something about these boards ending is particularly sad. (GOODBYE to FG)

Something about these boards ending is particularly sad. (GOODBYE to FG)

I think I've browsed these forums for about 6 years. From the very end of high school, through college, and less so since then, apart from the occasional debates here and there.

Truthfully, I hadn't come on here much these days at all. I've been occasionally browsing a few times per week at best -- mostly out of habit during down time more than anything. Part of it is that film viewing simply is not a true passion for me like it once was. Part of it is that all my interesting posters from the past have either left or rarely post. This place also became particularly infested from absolutely loathsome, creepy trolls like JMusch or Nameek, to the more mundane trolls that just clog up the place. And in general this place simply became very mundane. Part of it is that I'm actually a full-time working adult with my own life, own place, and frankly I have much more of a social life now compared to when I started -- I even have a few friends in "real life" who I can pretty meaningfully discuss cinema with when I want to.

But these boards, particularly Film General, were definitely a relevant component of my life for a few years. From when I started posting here and to now -- my life has taken dramatic and significant changes. Certain posters here made me look at cinema, art, even politics, and life in general in expanded ways. I think differently due to interacting with some of you (even though most have definitely left). I feel like this place made me a better writer and, at times, a more critical viewer and thinker.

I even got to meet regular GOOD_WILL_HARDING and his then girlfriends for a screening of Lawrence of Arabia at my then college campus. Pretty unique experience.

Some other posters over the years that I was happy to have interacted with, even if we weren't always on friendly terms (off the top of my head):

HANCOCK THE SUPER
SCENIC
CHAOS
SHAG
ULTIMATE_BADASS
FEDREV (we argued a lot but frankly if you weren't here the last couple years I probably would have stopped posting all together. And when you were right, you were right)
OLDALE
DARK_SIDE_CREW
TOSSSER
MATTHEW
ALGROTH_89
GOOD_WILL_HARDING
KETTLE

Those are just some people off the top of my head that I really enjoyed.

I suppose more than anything the closing of these boards, and looking back at how long and during what time in my life I have posted here -- it all makes me feel a little old.

I'm aware of the subreddit and the other "FGs", but I'll likely call it a day not that I'm much of a known presence anyway.

Thanks to the good people I got to meet while I was here. I wish you all well.

Re: Something about these boards ending is particularly sad. (GOODBYE to

Nicely said, and I share your sentiment.

But I do hope that you'll eventually come over to the Reddit page. You may think you're not a major presence, but I always value your contribution, even when we disagree. It would be a shame to lose you.

Refugees of FG, join us on Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/IMDbFilmGeneral/

And in general this place simply became very mundane. Part of it is that I'm actually a full-time working adult with my own life, own place, and frankly I have much more of a social life now compared to when I started -- I even have a few friends in "real life" who I can pretty meaningfully discuss cinema with when I want to.

Same thing happened to me since '12 or '13, and I stopped coming on to the boards really. Then I just recently came back in Dec and I was thoroughly enjoying FG again (since I had most trolls on Ignore still). So sad that it will all be gone. I'm still busy but I love seeing what others have to say.

How's Annie? How's Annie? Hahaha, How's Annie?

You're better off without this place. I know for a fact that a few of these regulars were eyeing up your peachy round smooth arse with hungry looks.

ALLONZEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been a regular here for 11 years. Was mostly active in 2007-2009, and then started hanging out more on FG2 and FG3 to avoid the trolls. Don't use Reddit so will likely call it a day too, though I will still use FG3 from time to time, regardless of how quiet that place has gotten.

FG1 formed me in my early film years. I have so many great memories from this board. This truly is the end of an era.

My 1000 favorite films - http://www.imdb.com/list/PkAV7BgvMJg

Re: Something about these boards ending is particularly sad.

Gloede, I don't know that we've ever interacted but I just wanted to let you know that I have long admired your taste in films. Your posts have always caught my eye and the variety of films you included in lists and the like often led me to looking into new and intriguing works.

Wishing you all the best!

That's all, folks!

I second this.

Thank you! That's incredibly unexpected, and it makes me very happy. Best to you as well, same to larma7, if the petition doesn't save the board I hope we'll all meat again, in another life, on another forum.

My 1000 favorite films - http://www.imdb.com/list/PkAV7BgvMJg

I am reminded of a scene from Big Bang Theory, it was the episode in which Sheldon's favourite TV show got cancelled and he said something along the lines of that they should have decreased its quality season by season, by the end of which the viewers would have been glad to see the back of it.
Anyways I digress. A thought, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that heads of IMDB were actually the trolls making FG such an unpleasant place that we'll be glad to see it go and get closure.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU, A CONSPIRACY!!!! ;)

You only live twice Mr Bond
http://ibuk1985.blogspot.com/

I'll miss you man and while your list of favorites isn't exactly mine, they're all distinctive people who had something to say (or something to joke in the case of Kettle) and that's sadly increasingly harder to find.

Do you have a link to Hancock's blog (whether it's still active or not)? He hasn't logged in here in months and I never had his info.

Here's to the fools who dream

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/?m=1

I'll have to contact him. A great dude.

Thanks for the quick reply! I've got it bookmarked now.

Hugely knowledgeable in his areas of interest, and like me not one to deal with the a-holes here; my choice was to ignore them, his was to mostly leave. Turns out he was probably smarter.

Here's to the fools who dream

Check your pms, Ale!

Yep, well said, I feel similar in some ways, having been here in high school and through university. It is just a cluster of online forums, but it's still a shame. FG is a bit of a cesspool and has been for a long time, but you can take the good with the bad, the ignore button's always there anyway. Though I've never posted that much I've gotten a lot of great recommendations from people here, and had quite a few good discussions, both film-related and not, in recent years. The individual boards will be a real loss too. As many have noted, there are plenty of places online to discuss film, or specific types of film (blockbusters, cult film, horror etc.), but there are few this big and with such range. Having boards dedicated to individual films is quite useful, even if they are practically dormant, there just aren't many places to talk about the relatively unseen movies out there.

The biggest loss by far is losing a message board database for every obscure foreign and classic film that is remotely known to exist. No doubt this is a blow to film buffs. No question.

I understand the sentiment. I've been here on and off for 10 years. I've enjoyed interacting with the users over the years, see the "old guard" call it a day and a "new guard" take their place, find recommendations for films and directors I'd never heard of or thought about it.

What are you gonna do with those pies, boys?

For the record, I've always liked what you had to say, Bergman. Solid dude.

Nice post, man. I'm gonna stay on this sinking ship until the very end, so I won't be posting any farewells until closer to the 20th. But it goes without saying that you were always one of the chilliest, most down to earth users on here and were always game for a long, in depth discussion or debate about almost any film or related subject, which is certainly more than I can say for myself and my time here. And yeah, the Penn State visit is still one of the cooler trips I've taken in my recent years, even though you towered over me by a good foot and a half in real life, heh.

It was a pleasure posting with you and here's to whatever future endeavors we find ourselves mixed up in.

Welcome home, Mr. Bailey

Haha, I recall you instantly being taken back my height!

Same to you, man. It's been real.

If I can offer one last 'farewell' filmic recommendation for you, it'd be to get out there and see any number of the many excellent pieces of work currently playing in theaters - a rarity to have so many genuinely great and diverse films all in cinemas around the same time. IIRC you've already seen La La Land and Arrival, but for my money, the rest of essentials would be the likes of LManchester by the Sea, Paterson, Silence, and (the one that might seem like the black sheep out of the bunch) Split - for my money, probably the strongest run of newer releases since the last 2013-early 2014 season.

Welcome home, Mr. Bailey

Scenic, you were always one of the most encouraging, thoughtful and generally interesting and cool people I've encountered on here. You always had great recs, were often capable of more extensive discussions, and were just an all around righteous dude. I remember you posting a practical and ethical defense of Hillary Clinton during the primary/general election and it really caught my eye. And lastly, I noticed over the years you sometimes sharing here that you weren't in good financial straits for a period of time, and if I recall correctly things improved. I don't know you very well, but I hope things continue to improve and become less stressful. Not to become too personal, but I wanted to share the sentiment.

Those are very kind words. And yes, things got much better for me, though where I was I didn't have anywhere to go but up. It was a frustrating "working poor" situation with me where I was working my ass off but still couldn't pay the bills, ended up losing both internet and power for a while, and was looking at homelessness. Now I'm working full-time and living comfortably (by my standards anyway!) and am finally advancing with my education-related career. So thank you for your well wishes, may they work and may they be reflected back to you as well.

Cheers, man. I loved reading your thoughts on films when you posted them on a more regular basis.

I wish you all the best, sincerely.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IMDbFilmGeneral/

Always enjoyed your posts over the years I've been here, especially when you were hyped up about a particular film you had just seen. There's surprisingly somewhat of a lack of that around here: well-articulated thoughts about a film that really lights a fire under you. You've had your share of cool reviews/posts like that. Good luck from here on out.

The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the crow.

It IS a sad time. I was surprised at the real sadness I felt when I saw this news. I hope to see you on some of the other forums, or even on Facebook or something, it'd be fun to have a Facebook group for those of us who feel safe enough to show who we really are to each other (I'm friends with Bravesfan82 on Facebook but that's it). Maybe that's worth exploring. Or not. Who knows. But this is sad news for sure, and I really will miss those posters with whom I've interacted so much over the past 9 or so years I've been here.

Shameless self promotion: http://enterthemovies.blogspot.com/

Amen to that. You were always one of the good ones.

How do you know you're god? Simple. When I pray to him, I find I am talking to myself

Verily I say unto thee.... Goodbye FG! Thanks for all the good times!

-Salem

Hi larma - I always remembered you from when I was first posting here back in 2010 (my username then was "fake_plastic"). You were one of the posters starting to explore film history, just at the same time as me, so I felt like we were on the same sort of "journey". That's when this board was the most exciting to me. I've had varying levels of activity since but this does indeed feel like the end of an era.

Don't know if you remember me or not but anyway -

Stop listening to the static.

Good times brah. Glad to hear your life is going well these days. Wish you the best in the future.

"Black Swan taught me that ballet is the greatest and hardest art around." - skull42

Yeah, this is so sad. I think I started hanging out here daily about 5 years ago. I've grown to like and appreciate larma for some of the times he stood up to fedrev's most extreme and tyrannical rhetoric. All the best, man.

As for me, this is the first board I've ever posted on where no one has warmed to me, and worse than being hated, I was mainly just roundly ignored (not a single person ever listed me in those shout-out lists *sniff*), so the teary goodbyes probably have a somewhat hollow ring coming from me. Still, I enjoyed coming here and got a lot of great recommendations over the years. I admired quite a few posters as well, and some of the heated political or ethical discussions were great fun to follow. I'm going to miss many of you.

...I have much more of a social life now compared to when I started -- I even have a few friends in "real life" who I can pretty meaningfully discuss cinema with when I want to.
That's where I have trouble; the ladies I know like, for example, Gilmore Girls, and the guys like Dukes of Hazzard and such. You're so lucky to have those real life friends, hang on to them.