Film General : I just have to vent.

I just have to vent.

I know Im not saying anything that hasent been said already but I am so pissed. Every time I see a new film this is where I go to see what people say about it. This is wear I like to talk film. I suffer from servere depression and to be honest I dont get much joy out of life. This is one thing that got me a little closer to being happy. Now I cant even have that. Thanks for putting a little more misery in my life IMDB leaders.

Re: I just have to vent.

Agreed

You can share your outrage by posting in this petition, or even using it as a signature I notice you don't have one. For maximum exposure

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#">https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#

Did that hours ago.

Maybe. I will wait how this all plays out first.

Will you join the Reddit group?

What is the Reddit group?

There is an initiative to move FG to reddit once this is all over. You can find the link in my signature.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IMDbFilmGeneral/">https://www.reddit.com/r/IMDbFilmGeneral/

When did you make a comeback? You couldn't have chosen a worse time, unfortunately.

Anyway, nice to see you back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IMDbFilmGeneral/">https://www.reddit.com/r/IMDbFilmGeneral/

Users who left FG are springing back with this news it seems.

A Cosmic Experience:

I suffer from servere depression and to be honest I dont get much joy out of life.

Same. It's up and down for me but this place definitely helps, and has done since I was in school.

I really doubt that trolling caused this. At most it amounts to nothing more than spam. This is the best board on the internet, there's nowhere else like this. Basically from what I can tell this place has been some kind of financial drain and is deemed unnecessary.

I agree, the habit of simply going to a movie or show board after watching it to discuss and see what others thought about it was such a great experience and to have that taken away after so many years its really heartbreaking.

It was long ago and it was far away,
And it was so much better than it is today….

Goodbye my friend

Farewell.

If you haven't already check out http://imdb2.freeforums.net">http://imdb2.freeforums.net lot of familiar peeps there.

I feel you, man. This is such unfortunate bad news, and I'm still in shock that it's actually happening.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway". - Walt Disney

We could organise regular 'meet ups'. Where do you live?

What fun we'll have meeting up, getting a beer and a burger and talking film. Wicka wicka wahhhh.

ALLONZEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fg orgy!

it sure is a dog of a night

The boards are a kind of therapy. 2 hours a day of browsing and posting for me, and now there's gonna be an empty hole every morning.

Cheers. 15 years on the boards has turned me into a film list addict. No doubt about it.

Ditto.

Same here.

I did too, so I'll have to change my underwear.

You're not funny. You never were. You are just crass and stupid. You belong in a zoo. The only upside to the boards shutting down is that you're not migrating to any of the alternatives. Screw you.

Screw - you.

Oh I am, I'm a hoot and a half.

I can fully sympathize with you. I don't suffer from depression now, but years ago IMDb and its message boards helped get me out of a very dark period of my life.

Anyway, you influenced me to check out quite a few movies. If we don't reconnect elsewhere, it was a pleasure knowing you.

I always liked the idea of having/living in a basement myself. I think basements are more of an American tradition, whereas overseas here we mostly have attics/garages.

An basement apartment sounds good. Set up sound equipment and record the residents.

another option if enough people want to start something new,

I have a domain watchratetalk.com
I wanted to make a discussion board or forum, to be a place where people can talk and discuss film and TV shows among other things. If people are interested to join and maybe also moderate the forum, I can have it up and running in a few hours.

10 participants is a good start, you get to choose forum platform MyBBforum or similar, and the forum and sub-forum sections. Can also make a program to auto-create threads and sub-forums for every new movie and TV show on imdb.com

copy paste message if you like, and post on social media.

reply here or https://twitter.com/AmrRahmy @AmrRahmy

What will you do? Finally get out of your parent's basement? Feel sunlight for the first time in years? Meet people who you can't mouth off to like this without getting beat up?

You realize pathetic losers like you are the reason this is going away and your actions caused the demise of the very thing that gave your life meaning and purpose. Sitting at a keyboard lashing out at people because you're too much of a coward to live in the real world.

I have a life, yours will sadly end when this goes away. You'll crawl under some other board rock and harass people, but there you'll be banned quicker and have less options and freedom.

This was your whole life, since you were psychotic enough to make topics, sock accounts and everything you've said and done here proves this. I post once or twice, while you, who apparently has no job, can post whenever you please. So look in the mirror at your own sad little life and what you'll do without this to feed your pitiful ego.

Good luck in the real world, don't get killed and you will not be missed.

"He came home." - Dr. Sam Loomis from the original HalloweeN

I think you miss the point entirely. Trolling, no matter how vitriolic, has never been about "lashing out" in anger, it's always been about amusing oneself, that is all. The trolling here was never malicious or hateful, even the more racist/vitriolic stuff. Doing it not out of hate but because it's fun to act like a complete dick and laugh at yourself for it and laugh at anyone who takes it seriously. It is performance.

Of course you may be onto something with cowardice as in the "real world" is more difficult and depending on how subtle it is comes with more of a risk depending on how stupid/angry people are, which is why facebook is no substitute for a message board, as social media is more reactionary.

Also the user you're replying to never did any of that lol.

And the preoccupation with 'getting a life' by these presumptious jerks is such a cliche. A life of watching movies and browsing internet is a fking luxury. I've been out there, made money, mingled with many people..etc etc…and I'd much rather do this.

It is a cliche. As for luxury, well it's anything but a hard life lol, but I also concede that some hardship is good in life. The same people who think that spending a lot of time on the internet is "not living" are people who carry these false notions of living as being defined by concrete matter, by false goals, but doing stuff, and then more stuff, attaining stuff, having "fun" in a purely outward sense measured by the standards set by society, etc. I too have been out there, and been pushed and pulled but even if I spend a day making half-assed posts on an internet forum I can still feel alright and my mind's still a good place to be. Of course it's not "a living" as in it could never put food on the table etc, and I do need a job and income, but damn this place helped me out of some tough times. I guess too much escape is a bad thing too.

I don't need this place in any way, but I made some friends here and it was a fun place to hang out and do while.

In the 1980s all I had was a leonard Maltin movie guide and one pricey video rental store…and I also had to rent a VHS machine because they were still too expensive to buy.

Fans of film and music are so spoiled now now in terms of info and access to movies and LPs.

Still, a generation of 20 somethings addicted to web technology and social media, may not be ideal…or productive. Time will tell?

I had a film guide and that 1001 movies to see before you die guide. I mostly liked the pictures. Reviews never made me want to see the film, the pictures did.

And yeah, you can find any film instantly, and any album instantly. I think it's a good thing, but personally I feel I need to spend less time online, although it's still the best resource for music/info/movies, it's just too easy to get stuck in certain places and sites by habit. I love this place but I've spent too much time just living half here half in my house. However I'm just waiting here until I can move freely again.

I see you are copying and pasting that everywhere. Ironic.

I used this place as a refuge, but maybe too much of an escapist crutch too. There is more out there but it won't be found if we look backwards.

FridayOnElmStreet, thought I'd mention you were always an interesting read. You traversed the boards I frequented (Bond & horror) and you had the most idiosyncratic going off your gut rankings that I admired and never got mired in the drama.

Thank you.

Create an Instagram movie account. There's a community of movie lovers on there.

"I wish I wasn't afraid all the time, but I am."
-V for Vendetta

What about rottentomatoes? Why doesn't everyone move there? I've never posted there but it seems okay.