Steel Magnolias : Seriously??!!??

Seriously??!!??

I am watching this whilst I type..
This might be the worst acting I've ever seen. Honestly.
I love the original, and went into this one with an open mind, but it is as if they are reading off of cards. There is no emotion..Annelle, may be the worst.
I don't know if I'll be able to get thru it.
I'm completely befuddled as to why this was even made....
I don't want to hear any complaints when Roots is remade by an entirely white cast.

Re: Seriously??!!??

It is beyond watchable!! I give it 1 star . Bad bad bad

I don't want to hear any complaints when Roots is remade by an entirely white cast.

When exactly did White Slavery take place in this country? What a crazy comparison. This is just a fictionalized stage play turned into a film and re-done 24 years later. Stop being so serious. If you didn't like, you didn't like it.

I didn't really care for this remake either. I felt it had a stellar cast that wasted their talents. With that said, I prefer the 1989 version.

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and let the world figure out how you did it!

When exactly did White Slavery take place in this country? What a crazy comparison.

Roots or The Color Purple would be a crazy remake with an all White cast but White slavery is not something absent from US History.
The Redemptioners, The kidnapped people of London, Bristol and Liverpool, Irish and Scottish...
When the supply of white servants happened to be insufficient in order to match the labor demand in the colonies, they created the Royal Company of Africa in order to import (kidnap) more Africans.
When you have a look at the first census in the American colonies , white servants or temporary slaves, outnumbered African slaves in all the British colonies ( America and West Indies).

Hmmm talk about stop being so serious... The comparison was based on a typical "white" movie, being remade by an entirely black cast with dire consequences... Not due to the color of their skin, but merely because the new movie was an exact replica of the first and the acting was poor.

Bringing the topic of slavery into the discussion is just poor taste and not what the writer of the post intended. I do grant you that the choice of movie was not the best. How about Barber Shop? Soul Food? How Stella got her Groove Back? Bad Boys? etc etc All potentially ruined by an all-white cast.

Google "Irish Slave Trade", and start from there.

When exactly did White Slavery take place in this country? What a crazy comparison. This is just a fictionalized stage play turned into a film and re-done 24 years later. Stop being so serious. If you didn't like, you didn't like it.

I didn't really care for this remake either. I felt it had a stellar cast that wasted their talents. With that said, I prefer the 1989 version.

When life gives you lemons, make apple juice and let the world figure out how you did it!

AMEN!!! Same here. JUST when I thought NETFLIX couldn't get any worse, they throw this BOMB in the bowl of all their other 1 star failures. What a JOKE that ain't funny.

I love the original, and went into this one with an open mind, but it is as if they are reading off of cards.

That is the first thing I noticed when I started watching it - terrible. I just do not see what the point was in remaking this film other than just to remake it with an all black cast which is just, well, stupid. I don't care if they had the greatest black actresses in the world, there was just no topping Shirley Maclain, Olympia Dukakis, Sally Field and Julia Roberts. Even Dolly's genuine sweetness couldn't be matched by Jill Scott and this isn't because I prefer the original movie, it is just common sense.

They changed the tone of some of the most important scenes mostly involving Shelby. The girl that played her just had flat delivery and there was nothing about her that made her version of Shelby endearing in any way. Hell, even when she had her episode in the beauty shop was just bland and it didn't look like a situation that required panic. She just stared off into space talking about having kids like she was recalling the time when she ran over a skunk in the road.

I didn't feel the emotions that I felt watching the original because these ladies brought nothing but a shyt delivery of a great movie. It wasn't sad at all when this Shelby died, in fact I was glad because she finally had no more scenes that required her to talk.

So in conclusion this Steel Magnolias was a pointless attempt at remaking the film to attract a black audience for whatever ridiculous reason they had. Ugh, harsh but true.

I really like your car Mrs. Larusso!