Steel Magnolias : Weakest Link... Queen Latifah

Weakest Link... Queen Latifah

The movie would have been much better if not for the casting. Everyone was perfect in their role BUT Queen Latifah is just a terrible actress and was too young and inexperienced to play her role. P. Rashad and A. Woodard really shined!

Re: Weakest Link... Queen Latifah

I totally agree! In her defense though Sally Field left big shoes to fill. The scene at the end where she has her outburst was the one that was the worst for me. It just didn't have passion for me. Woodard did a great Weezer though.

I like Queen Latifah, but I do believe that she was terribly miscast.

Latifah had big shoes to fill but the part has been played by bigger actresses on Broadway and they did fine. Jill Scott was terrible too.

For every lie I unlearn I learn something new - Ani Difranco

I agree. Casually found out this movie was made and watched the clip of the toast. Queen Latifah just seemed well out of place as M'Lynn. They should have had her play Truvy. Alfre Woodard would have been better for the role of M'Lynn.

I actually assumed she'd be playing Truvy (just seemed like the logical fit), so I was surprised when the movie started and she was M'Lynn... wtf?

I also thought that QL was playing Truvy. I can picture her in a salon, telling jokes & making everyone feel at ease. I don't see her in the matriarch role.

THE RAP CRITIC
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/rap-critic

isn`t she always the weakest link....? i think she`s so over the top in these overbearing roles she`s cast in, secret life of bees, joyful noise.....she was good in Chicago, not Oscar-nominated good, but she was good, thats about the only thing she has done without overplaying/underplaying, call it what u want, she`s just a mess right there in the middle of everything she takes on....

Oh, I don't know. Think Ms. Owens did a pretty good job. But I totally agree that it was P. Rashad and A. Woodard that did the most with their roles. They were great!

I don't agree. I think she rocked it. Sally Field did NOT make me cry during the hospital scene, Queen did. Perhaps a bit young for the role, but her acting was great IMO.

DRAGON¸.•´¸.•*´¨SWAK¸.•*¨¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨
(¸.•´ ¸.•*¨¸.•´¸.•*´¨(¸.•´ ¸.•´

Neither made me cry during the hospital scene. In the original it was M'Lynn saying "I was supposed to go first" that made me cry. Parents are not supposed to outlive their children. I have, thankfully, never had to go through this. Very close once, but not horse shoes or hand grenades.

Well Queen did not nail the emotions of the final scene the way that Sally did. But is it really fair to compare? They re-wrote it into the beauty shop and seemed to make it short in general.

I agree that thankfully, my offspring are all alive and well. Had a scare one time when my son in another state stopped contacting me for a few months, but turned out he was in prison, and too ashamed to let me know. :/ But alive, at least.

DRAGON¸.•´¸.•*´¨SWAK¸.•*¨¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨
(¸.•´ ¸.•*¨¸.•´¸.•*´¨(¸.•´ ¸.•´

My son almost tanked one night because of crohn's disease after multiple hospitalizations. It's the closest I've ever come. Watching Steel Magnolias after that became personal. Sally Field is hard to follow.

Well Queen did not nail the emotions of the final scene the way that Sally did.

I adored the 1989 version, but I've always felt Sally Field was horrible in that breakdown scene. It just did not seem real. It was just a bad acting job for those few minutes in my opinion. And to be honest, I've often felt she could not do "anguish" well. Some can, some cannot. No fault, all in the acting business have their strengths and their weaknesses.

I thought Queen did an OK job but I also believe there was more "meat on the bone" in this script than in the movie. The point of Steel Magnolias was that the women are very strong. If you are going to compare the Queen Latifah to Sally Fields, I have to say that Queen brought more to the scene without a single word while Sally Field seemed like an emotional wreck and kept switching back and forth strong to hysteria which made it feel like over acting.

I think the weakest link was Shelby...she did not bring the vulnerability and warmth Julia did.

Real LOSERS spell 'loser' looser!

The cast was perfect except for Phylicia Rashad should have been M'Lynn and Queen Latifah should have been Willimena. I didn't fancy the Shelby actress either; but Queen's M'Lynn was forgettable at best.

Whats with everyone saying she was too young for the role? Isnt she in her fourties? And I assumed it was the same for the character in this version. Many women that age range have grown children. That argument is weak. I think this was a very good adaptation. If anyone was weak, it was the actress that played Shelby. I wasnt impressed with her.

I just saw it, and I completely agree. Queen Latifah was miscast and didn't pull off the amount of emotion that the role required at times. I thought everyone else was great, though.