Steel Magnolias : Who would you choose for the role of Malynn?

Who would you choose for the role of Malynn?

If I had to choose, I would choose Kimberly Elise for the role of Malynn. Now there's a drama queen who might have fit the part (think of Beloved and Diary of a Mad Black Woman). She does drama and emotional scenes very well, and in my minds eye, she fits the visual image of Malynn, too. Tiny and cute. I think she may have been able to pull off that breakdown scene at the end, too, and made it really belivable. I would have been interested to see that. All in all, I think she would have been a better choice. But what do I know?

It's not that I don't think that Queen Latifah is great, I love Queen Latifah. She was just cast in the wrong role is all. She's a talented comedian, not a drama queen. She is a wonderful and beautiful actress, no doubt. But she's not cut out for highly emotional scenes like what is expected of Malynn's character. I don't think there are many actresses, black or white, who could really play that character...

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Who would you choose for the role of Malynn?

I thought Queen would have been better as Truvy and that Jill Scott would have been better as Annelle. I am very disappointed that they didn't offer Truvy the happy ending that the original movie did.

I think Lynn Whitfield would've played a great M'lynn. Queen Latifah did a horrible job as M'lynn.

Post deleted

Angela Basset would have been a good choice.

I'm not sure about Lynn Whitfield. In almost eveything you see her in, she usually plays the part of an uppity, self centered b!tch (think Madeas Family Reunion). That's so NOT Malynn. Malynn is so good hearted that she's be willing to give her own life to save her daughter. She's ready to slay the dragon, even if her daughter IS the dragon...

Not saying Lynn Whitfield couldnt play the part of the good mom, I've just never seen it, I don't think...

Post deleted

I forgot about Eve's Bayou and Brewster Place... haven't seen those in years..
Don't think Ive seen The Color or Courage...

As for Angela Bassett, after her performance as Tina Turner in "Whats Love Got To Do With It", I think she could have done a decent job playing Malynn.

I don't know who would've been a good choice but I didn't like QL's performance at all. And that Shelby was a terrible choice. She was not believable in that role and at times her performance was cringeworthy, no emotions at all. What was up with that? Did they have auditions or did they just give her the role because her mother was in the movie? The others were 'okay', no standout perfermances. I'm not against a black cast, but it could've been so much better, even for Lifetime.

IMHO

It happened in Salem....USA

My cast would have been;

Maylynn - Alfre Woodard (I imagine her in the cemetery scene, omg)
Ouiser - Octavia Spencer (look out!)
or Regina King
Truvy - Loretta Devine
Clairee - Phylicia Rashad or Pamela Isaacs
Shelby - Lauren London

Post deleted

While I think that Alfree Woodard and Phylicia Rashad were the best in this film, here is who my cast would have been:

M'Lynn-Kimberly Elise or Viola Davis (who have been excellent)
Ouiser-Ruby Dee
Clairee-Cecily Tyson or Diann Carroll
Truvy-Loretta Devine
Anelle-Anika Noni Rose or Tika Sumpter
Shelby-Nicole Behaire or Jurnee Smollett

Post deleted

My picks would be:

M'Lynn - Alfre (remember her in 'Love and Basketball'); Phylicia (altho she was perfect as Clarie); Loretta Devine (she could have played this part)
Truvy - Jill would have been a good choice if she wasn't talking like that (she sounded like an airhead); Jenifer Lewis; Latifah would hae made a good Truvy; Kim Fields
Annelle - Taraji P. Henson (perfect for this part); Jurnee would be good
Ouiser - Alfre was ok (I think she gave what was asked of her because she is good)
Debbie Morgan would have been a good Clairie
Drum -Delroy Lindo

M'Lynn...Phylicia Rashad or Viola Davis (depending on budget), Alfre Woodard could've done a bangup job, too...
Ouiser...Didn't hate Alfre Woodard, but, Octavia Spencer (depending on budget) or Whoopi Goldberg
Truvy...Queen Latifah (actually thought she was going to be doing this role when I heard about it...was shocked when I found out she was M'Lynn)
Clairee...Loretta Devine
Shelby...I didn't mind Rashad's daughter...might have been a nice dynamic having her mom play M'Lynn
Annelle...didn't mind the actress who played her....

**true testament to their talent, I could've seen Woodard playing M'Lynn, Ouiser, Truvy, or Clairee...she's that damn good and versatile...and, Rashad could've easily done M'Lynn, Ouiser, Truvy, or Clairee as well....

Yes, Octavia Spencer would have been a great Ouiser...

Octavia would have needed some "aging" makeup and hair but she would be the kickass Ouiser like Shirley MacClaine was. Alfre Woodard as Ouiser was the best character in this ensemble. People talk about Queen L doing a good job as M'Lynn but IMO if people are commenting on how well you did acting, then you didn't do that well. And that's what I felt watching Queen L, I felt like I was watching her act.

This film was so miscast that Amazing Alfre could have played any role in this cast, including Shelby, played so boringly by that forgettable young actress. I think if Alfre had played M'Lynn people would still be talking about this remake, and not in the negative way they are.

M'Lynn - Loretta Devine
Shelby - Anika Noni Rose
Clairee - Phylicia Rashad
Ouiser - Alfre Woodard
Truvy - Queen Latifah
Anelle - Tessa Thompson

And then I realised this is half the cast of For Colored Girls...

I always thought Queen latifa was too young to play M'Lynn. She would have played a great Truvy.

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.