Steel Magnolias : Good movie overall, a bit disappointed with last scene...

Good movie overall, a bit disappointed with last scene...

I love this movie, it's one of my all time favs.. I loved the first one, seen it too many times to count, so many times I almost know it by heart. This was so true to the original, almost identical in fact. I was impressed. I enjoyed the whole movie, however, I was a little disappointed in the scene at the very end, I always call it the graveyard scene... They moved it into Truvy's shop in this movie.. In that particular scene, Sally Field (Malynn) makes you sob like your heart is breaking, then Olympia Dukakis (Claree) makes you burst out laughing through your tears when she says to hit Weeza. Though I was a bit teary eyed in this new movie, I wasn't moved to laughter through tears like the old one...

Re: Good movie overall, a bit disappointed with last scene...

I agree, but decent job though. Passed my expectations.

http://i48.tinypic.com/292yba1.jpg

I agree with you on the last scene. Just when I started to water up, they jumped in with "Whack Wheezer" a little too soon, it wasn't quite as funny and then it was just sort of over.
My hopes were high. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

That scene in the graveyard is one of my all-time favorites. It was poorly done in this version. Too rushed.

"Pay no attention to the man in the trunk."

Yeah, I wish would have left that scene at the funeral. But other than that, it was an enjoyable lifetime movie.

It wasnt just that it was too rushed. I agree it was, but the degree of emotion that was presented in this version was WAY less than the first. The original, I cry my eyes out every time, even years later ,even though I know what will happen, it still wrenches my heart...Sally field makes you feel that pain, that heartbreaking hurt of the mother in despair, whos just buried her child...

Then the comedy leaves you laughing thru tears....

Technically, the original movie moved the scene into the cemetary. In the play, it happened in the shop.

Really? I didn't know what... still, you know what I mean about the emotion I speak of. Sally Field did a brilliant job with that scene... Sorry I am biased.

I loved the original movie. I can watch Sally Field, Olympia Dukakis, and Shirley McClaine in anything. They are amazing. I cry every time I see it.

I didn't hate the remake, but I do wish they had changed a little more of the dialogue. If you use more current music and things of that nature, why wouldn't you at least bring the dialog into the 21st century. I also think the reason there was so much Shelby in this version is the writer originally wrote the play about his sister. So, there should have been more of Shelby in the original movie, but with the stellar cast they had, how could they.

I didn't mind the way the actress who portrayed Annelle performed, but I do think she was miscast. There was an innocence to Annelle that Darryl Hannah made you feel. I didn't really feel that with this young lady. She didn't seem all that innocent and naive to me. I think she would have been a better choice to play Shelby and Condola Rashad would have made a much better Annelle. What she lacked in acting skills would have be hidden a little more in playing someone shy and naive as Annelle is supposed to be.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie for what it was, and I would encourage other people to do the same.

I thought the whole thing was rushed and should have been given an extra half hour to expand on the emotions. I did like the movie though. But all those commercials were just killers. Just get to a good part and then another bunch of commercials. That is pretty much why I just DVR everything now and speed through all the commercials. They killed the armadillo joke completely. I thought they just cut it out and then it came to the reception and there it was, but they didn't say the aunt used red velvet cake mix. I love that part in the original movie and in the play and it was just wasted here. For what it was, it was a pretty good TV remake, but it can't compare to the original. I don't even know if I would buy this when it comes out on DVD. I do like to have more than one version, just for comparrisons sake. Like on the Double Indemnity DVD they included the pretty terrible 70's TV remake. Maybe just to show how wonderful the original is. That doesn't always work though since they did the same thing with Gaslight by including the original movie (thought to be destroyed) and it was much better than the better known Ingrid Bergman movie. Still, I enjoyed the acting in Steel Magnolias very much and it is still a rock solid story and is hard to mess up.

I agree kp22kc..........the whole movie was rushed

Exactly...and knowing that the real Shelby was buried in that cemetery made it even more of a special scene.

The other was nothing good between Truvey & Spud.

I like how it was relocated to give it an 'original' spin. Like others, I feel the scene was a bit rushed. Before you let Queen Latifah's (M'Lynn) emotions sink in, you're tossed over to Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard.

~M. (@MokaExec on Twitter)

Read the original play (which I was in in college as Truvy, there is no graveyard scene. It's all at Truvy's shop, the whole play in fact.
The original play is very different in terms of how SHelby dies and how the girls find out.
I really suggest reading it.

Was comparing movies; but with that info, guess it was best to relocate the scene because it was closer to the original-original.

For anyone who has never seen this...

Sally Field's iconic graveyard scene in the original "Steel Magnolias"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03BPiyoab10

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

The preganat girl, her name was Annelle

The pregnant girl, her name was Annelle

Favorite (and saddest) part of the movie, for me.

"...I'm fine. I'm fiiiine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back. But my daughter can't. She never could!!" and "I wanna know why!!"

Tears every time.

-Dad, who's that?
-Oh, that? One of my patients. He's...sick.
-Will he live?
-It's looking grim.