Steel Magnolias : Queen Latifah says that the idea of the AA cast was...

Queen Latifah says that the idea of the AA cast was...

...from the writer of this movie, the original movie and play, who is WHITE. She said that he said that he couldn't imagine it with anyone else but a black cast. So we can stop with the racism posts.

Re: Queen Latifah says that the idea of the AA cast was...

I have no problem with the cast, but I do have a problem with the remake. If I want to watch "Steel Magnolias," I will watch the original movie; not the remake. Thank you! Good-night!

Exactly!

I actually really like the actresses in the remake but its the remake itself that pisses me off. I just don't think you should remake such a good classic, especially less than 25 years after the original. There is no way I can associate the characters to anyone other than their 1989 actresses.

I'd feel the same way if they remade Fried Green Tomatoes. You just can't remake movies like this regardless of the actors skin color.

HUH??? Wait...Queen Latifah said that? Are you sure? Is she sure? You're right the writer of the original story is white, but the story is based on death of his real life sister, whom he was very close to. She died due to complication with diabetes. But you or Latifah are saying he couldn't imagine the cast with any race but Black. That doesn't sound right. Again I ask, are you sure about that?

The writer said he always wanted to do it with a Black cast. He said he couldn't imagine not using a Black cast in the remake of the movie.

Yes, this was Robert Harling's idea.

So she says, pull the other one.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/10/steel-magnolias-blooms-again-on-lifetime-with-queen-latifah-and-phylicia-rashad.html

I read the blog...it says, after being approached by the executive producers, he (Harling) said his dream was to see SM done with a Black cast, not that he couldn’t imagine it done with anyone else BUT a Black cast, which is what the OP said, or that it was his idea, which is what others are posting. If he truly said that (mind you this blog is quoting Craig Zadan, one of the executive producers, not Harling), I took it to mean that he could see this story as universal and being easily told by any group and I completely agree with that.

I wish I could see it…it’s not aired where I am...Oh well :-(

It's got nothing to do with race. It was bad casting and bad acting. Also, you should leave the classics alone no matter what.

I agree C3194! The movie was horrific.

Okay I get the Fassbender and Hardy hype!

No it wasn't his idea. He didn't like the remake. He said it was unnecessary and they cut the story up to fit the commercials.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6151584.html

all the cast were in Alcoholics Anonymous?

that is what AA stands for.

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.