Steel Magnolias : Why would they try to remake this classic?

Why would they try to remake this classic?

This movie is a classic! Why try to remake it?? It will surely be lame just like Joyful Noise. Will not watch...

Re: Why would they try to remake this classic?

Well the original Steel Magnolias film is a remake of a stage play .

I always think that if you do a remake you should always do it differently and thats what there doing with this new adaption.This new steel magnolias film isnt going to cinema its a tv movie for hallmark and it has a cast of african american actors so the subject will be dare i say more interesting..

You know, your right.

When I first read about a black Steel Magnolias, I thought oh sh**!

But there's been three film versions of A Streetcar named Desire, two of Cat on a hot tin roof just to name a few.

I believe you are also correct in that there's the possibility for story more interesting. However, if the production is being made for Hallmark, you can bet it will likely be as hokey as the original.

They always try to black up the classics....honeymooners FAILED....Death at a funeral...FAILED, this will fail too

"Black up the classics,"

1. It's acting from a play, the color is not important
2. no one seemed to care about color when Cleopatra was played by Elizabeth Taylor

1. When I think of M'Lynn, Clairee, Ouiser and Truvy I think of 4 white southern women and the white actresses that play them. Color is important because now I'm supposed to watch a movie where characters I love are being completely changed. Do I want to see an all-black Steel Magnolias? No. Do I want to see an all-white Boyz in the Hood? No. Its about characters and when you change well known characters, it is important.

2. Elizabeth Taylor was one of if not the biggest movie star around at that time. There is not one black actress who came even close to her in that era.she had years of stardom to warrant her getting that huge blockbuster yet huge flop of a movie. Of course she was going to be cast in that role. This situation is not similar. Steel Magnolias is a classic film with iconic actresses who made the film amazing which is why people are still talking about it today. Cleopatra has been portrayed numerous times on screen. The women of Steel Magnolias has not and I don't think it needed to be remade to get the attention of black women who apparently couldn't "relate" to the classic 23 years ago. Queen Latifah in a role that Sally Field made unforgettable? There isn't enough Listerine in the world to get that taste out of my mouth.

In response to "Elizabeth Taylor was one of if not the biggest movie star around at that time. There is not one black actress who came even close to her in that era.she had years of stardom to warrant her getting that huge blockbuster yet huge flop of a movie. Of course she was going to be cast in that role. This situation is not similar."
Have you considered or questioned WHY there was "not one black actress" that came close to Elizabeth Taylor's stardom in that ERA in Hollywood history? Not until you understand the history of Hollywood & its very long wrap sheet of race & stereotypes could that be understood.

Bottomline is, there is no question about Why they would do it, its redundant because They already done the movie. A remake or revision is done to give people a different look or experience. The play was done a certain way, the 1st movie was done with "revisions" & so will this one. Open your mind. Its amazing how people can be so close-minded & simple. Stories are passed down through generations, told a multitude of ways. What difference does it make if it was made with an all-black cast, an all-Asian cast. Let the original be the original & let this one be what it is.

Cleopatra wasnt black.

http://www.gorillahunter.tumblr.com

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Cleopatra sure as hell wasn't white either.

and? She was very inbred.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Post deleted

^The play was written in 1987 and based on the death of the author's younger sister. Was surrogacy a viable option then?

Those are the only differences in this and the original movie is the black actresses and it being made by Hallmark instead of theaters. The entire script is word for word the exact same as the 1989 movie! There is nothing different if they wanted it different they wouldn't follow the exact same script.

My only thing is I do not know how they will outdue MayLynn's funeral/cementary scene. Don't get me wrong Latifah is an AWESOME actress, but Sally Fields just pulled it off so beautifully. That scene was classic and to this day after watching it I don't know how many times it still brings me to tears and worse now that I'm a mother myself.

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.

You guys do realize this isn't going to be on Hallmark, right?

This is a lifetime film, not Hallmark....

My only gripe with this film is that it looks cheap, but it does have a great cast.

It's a good cast for another movie, not Steel Magnolias. I will watch it but there is no way the cemetery scene will be outdone. That was a perfect scene. The chemistry in the original movie was amazing.

Wow, Latifah is an "AWESOME" actress??? Surely you jest! In no way is she even remotely close to being a great actress.

" Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man! Knock her lights out, M'Lynn! " You're right.. I just can't imagine anyone else doing this.. However, I will probably see it just to see Phylicia Rashad and Alfre Woodard play off each other. Other note. Rashad's daughter is playing Shelby. I wonder if it is a distraction for the watcher to know that the mother of the woman playing Shelby, is playing Clairee.

What? No love for Living Single? ;)

Response to movieguy1991's post from Sun Apr 29 2012 07:57:23

My only problem with that is that yes, Steel Magnolias was a stage play, but it was also based on real people (who happened to be white). One of my mom's bridesmaids was college roommates with the real-life Shelby (played by Julia Roberts in the original). It's not the same as, for instance, "The Wiz" starring Michael Jackson and Diana Ross, because "The Wizard of Oz" was not based on real people. I have absolutely nothing against something like "The Wiz" -- or, say, an African-American version of "The Music Man."

Robert Harling, the playwright okayed this, in fact suggested it. See the trivia section here.

And despite being a remake of the stage play, the movie was written by the same playwright of the play, who also had a small role in the film, as did the same doctor who pulled the plug on his sister the play and movie were about.

This movie is based on a true story. It's based on Robert Harling's sister, Susan Harling Robinson. He wrote the play 6 months after his sister passed away.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20098146,00.html

I agree! It's somewhat noteworthy that the cast is almost all black, but honestly, I am not feeling it at all. I mean, Queen Latifah as M'Lynn? SERIOUSLY?? Even if it's on T.V., I just don't get how well it will do. It's as if names of actress for the lead roles were put into a hat and drawn randomly, and here you have a mismash; as if no real thought at all was given as to who would be in the movie. NEXT!

Overall, I'm just so tired of all these awful remakes because Hollyweird has run out of ideas for movies!

IMHO, it wouldnt matter who they cast in it...its a classic, EVERYBODY knows this film. I cant EVEN wrap my head around how Queen Latifah could play M'lynn. I cant imagine her whining...to make Shelby drink the orange juice.

Alfre Woodard and Phylicia Rashad playing Quiser and Claree...riiiiight.

I love these actors, just cant see them in this.

Let's remake the color purple with all white people and see how they like that hahaha im pissed off that they are remaking this and the cast is horrible. its gonna turn into another joyful noise full of gospel preaching crap.

See, but that would make no *beep* sense, idiot.

@maty_boyie LMAO!!!

I really can't see Alfre Woodard pulling off Ouiser's sassiness as well as Shirley Maclaine who was brilliant in that role. The other cast members don't make much sense either. Queen Latifah as M'Lynn? Come on. What role has she shown any emotion in other than that same wide mouth grin? I'm all for a different take or spin on an often told story but the '89 version was simply perfect.

What role has she shown any emotion in other than that same wide mouth grin?

She has shown great emotion in a variety of films including "Set It Off", "The Secret Life of Bees" and "Just Wright"

I'm all for a different take or spin on an often told story but the '89 version was simply perfect.

Then just don't watch it. It's really very simple.

"They told you you were stupid, ugly and doomed to fail............and you believed them"

Ok, with this, I have to agree! The Color Purple was written by Alice Walker - a black woman who wrote this fictional story about black life in a southern town in the early 20th Century. To remake the movie and have an all white cast do it would be an incredulous insult to Miss Walker and the original cast.

I think because Queen Latifah liked the original movie, and she has a production company, she wanted to remake the movie under her label, hiring all her friends (and apparently, one of her friends' daughters!) to play the key roles. Bad move!

Let's remake the color purple with all white people and see how they like that

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing that...

THE RAP CRITIC:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/rap-critic

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the original film. But it gets boring when you've seen it 80 times. No,, I'm not kidding. I've seen it 80 times. Wore out my old VHS copy and finally bought it on DVD a while back. It's one of my top 10 favorite drama's of all time. But,,, I am excited for this new version. It'll be a fresh take on an amazing play and story. And it has Alfre Woodard in it. She's one of my favorite actresses. I'll be one of it's viewers and I know I won't be disappointed.

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. (slurp)"-H.L.

I am looking forward to this version as well. I like different takes on movies and this should be pretty wonderful. All the actresses that I know are very good and I have enjoyed many of their performances. Back in the old days they were always making TV versions of movies. Usually they were hacked to bits. I'm sure some stuff will be cut out for time, but the main story should be pretty much the same. I have a bootleg version of the play that starred Delta Burke in the Dolly Parton role and it was very well done. I don't really understand the hating. They do revivals of plays all the time and different people go into already hit shows so they are not the same, why can't movies be looked at the same way? There is currently a black version of Streetcar Named Desire on Broadway, or off-Broadway, but it looks amazing to me. I'm for sure gonna give this a chance.

Heck, I've seen Steel Magnolias on live stage, and it was great! different, but still great.

I'm open minded enough to want to see this, expecially with the added twist of a mostly black cast. Especailly with talented actors like they've cast for this "remake".

After all, they remade Born Yesterday & Sabrina and the updated remakes are diffent, but still very enjoyable. I've even heard of a stage version of The Odd Couple with women as the main characters.

So, people, just have an open mind.
--Sandi. H.

Post deleted

Seems like Rashad and Latifah should switch roles.

I agree, I was shocked to hear of Latifah playing M'Lynn because she isn't old enough to be Shelby's mother. Ater all Rashad is the real life mother of the actress that plays Shelby so there would be some real life emotions in there.
When does this come out by the way? I don't see a release date for it being on TV.

Actually, Queen Latifah IS old enough to be Shelby's mother. She could have a 25 year old daughter.

Post deleted

Speaking as a representative of the current generation, I understand that Steel Magnolias was a classic. Because of the remake, people of my generation gets the opportunity to experience it and might even want to watch the original. And for poeple of previous generations, who grew up with the original, gets a chance to experience it in a different way. I'm 100% for the remake.

Your generation could also experience it by watching the original. Do you really need a remake to exist to let you know a previous film existed? If so, that's rather sad and telling of this new generation.

I don't need a remake of The Wizard of Oz to know that the MGM one existed and was itself a remake (several times over, in fact) and was also wasn't even close to the book.

Hear, hear! When I saw the commercial for the remake, my first thought was, "What the heck?!" Then I became angry, because the original "Steel Magnolias" is one of my favorites and is, to me, a classic. And the fact that they're using the exact same dialogue as in the original movie makes me even angrier, because it demonstrates how lazy the writers are! I like Queen Latifah, Phylicia Rashad, and Alfre Woodard. But I highly doubt that I will watch this movie.

I agree with you. The Original is one of my favorites. I like all the black stars but I just think they should not mess with perfection at its best.

The original writer wanted to remake it. It's not about "lazy writing." It's about the original writer's vision.

With all due respect to the original writer, his "vision" stinks. I have very little tolerance for remakes, especially when it comes down to remakes of what I consider to be classics ... even when the original writers of said classics want to make remakes.

The original play was made into a movie, and then, the movie was made into a TV show that wasn't picked-up by a network. Now, they are making another TV movie. It's a remake of a remake. The original classic was the play. No one seemed to be angry when that was made into a movie and changed.

I understand if you don't want to watch, but I plan to give it a try. I loved the movie, but the original play was changed to include some of the elements we saw in the movie. So, it will be interesting to see how they "change" it again.

Well, when it comes down to it, it is the original playwright's property and he can do what he wants with it, now can't he?