Film General : Trolls had NOTHING to do with this, stop saying that.

Trolls had NOTHING to do with this, stop saying that.

This is about Hollywood either exerting some kind of directive, or Bezos or some *beep* in management getting the bright idea cutting off our opinions would be good for the site in the spirit of political correctness.

CNN and other major websites are CLOSING their comment boards. How INSANE is this? Who would have EVER predicted this would happen?

Do you see what is happening YET?

Wake the *beep* up and STOP giving these corporate scum your business. We have to RE-BUILD the internet.

Re: Trolls had NOTHING to do with this, stop saying that.

It's pretty obvious what is happening. They're trying to shut up dissenting views so that only mass media has a voice. Say goodbye to free internet. This is all about money and control.

It's insanity, yet there are stupid Sheeple morons who will make excuses for it or cook up theories as to why it's somehow acceptable.

It's totally *beep* unacceptable.

We havve to STOP GIVING THESE *beep* *beep* OUR MONEY. I'm talking about 6 *beep* corporations who run all of it.

These are greedy, reptilian-brain OCD control freaks who can't stand to see anything out of place and can't allow themselves to feel threatened or out of control. They've got to have money, MORE MONEY, and they'll stop at nothing to get it.

Basically Amazon is never, ever getting a cent from me, and neither is any other company IMDb was affiliated with, not that it'll make a difference, millions of people pay to see average/bad movies and give Hollywood money every day, when they could just as easily download torrents.

melovesy some tinfoil whiny theories OP. Keep em flowing please. Entertaining to read

I'm sure that IMDB is a great bastion of free speech that changes the world and cause political revolutions overnight /

It's the twitters and Facebook's that you conspiracy theorist bitch about that do that actually.

Also I think that you will soon realize this is my signature.

No it isn't. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I don't believe in conspiracies, only control freak OCD bubble boys believe in conspiracies.

Why does something have to cause political revolutions in order to be a bastion of free speech. There's still always been a good flow of ideas here.

I'm sure that IMDB is a great bastion of free speech that changes the world and cause political revolutions overnight

Actually you're dead wrong. When unpopular opinions can be shared without ramifications, repugnant to you or not, it is a bastion of free speech.

IMDB however is a private business and can do whatever they want to do with regards to free speech on its site.

Exactly. I've come to accept this now, I can keep in touch with the regulars on the reddit, to hell with it, I'll even have more time to invest in more worthwhile things than passing time browsing the boards. I haven't been firing on all cylinders for a while so I've not been getting good discussion out of the board.

It's negative ratings and user reviews much more than message board comments that hurt the sales of movies. Wake me up when Amazon axes all the user reviews and ratings on Amazon and IMDB.

Certainly, I doubt (outside maybe niche movie) that message board are seen by a significant amount of people to affect anything, 250 million monthly unique visitor, how many signed a petition, I would guess than almost no one that goes on imdb know about the message boards (I used that website for more than a decade before knowing about them)

It's negative ratings and user reviews much more than message board comments that hurt the sales of movies. Wake me up when Amazon axes all the user reviews and ratings on Amazon and IMDB.

They certainly would if it does hurt, but I imagine that overall it does help, hurt individual title but overall annual sales for them by reassuring consumer that require to have those to buy (and there you can use false positive review more easily if you want)

Whatever the reason, I'm more than delighted to see the trolls silenced. :)

It's a Trump world now - ack!

Exactly. It's about the bottom line and taking control of the discussion. Therefore it's not worth their while to host message boards where free discussion can take place.

CNN and other major websites are CLOSING their comment boards. How INSANE is this? Who would have EVER predicted this would happen?

This is a clear sign that there is more to it than just Hollywood, it is like you said really common, twitter/facebook last year has seen the average time by person on the platform go down.

Troll create toxic environment that make normal audience go away.

This is about Hollywood either exerting some kind of directive

If the boards are bad for the sales of movies (even just by a minuscule amount), Hollywood do not need to give any directive to Amazon to close the boards. Amazon is not only the biggest sellers of movie in the World, it is now a movie studio, how stupid would it be for Amazon to pay for a platform (message board bring no revenues) that hurt their business ?

Wake the *beep* up and STOP giving these corporate scum your business. We have to RE-BUILD the internet.

This is true, using the biggest sellers of movie platform to talk about movies was not that good of an idea, an independently run and with paying member (even a very small fee of say 2$ a year) would have been a much better idea.

You're not entirely wrong, but you're not entirely right. I'm sure a whole lot of IMDB users are annoyed with the trolls on the site (and don't just ignore them like I do). Say you have a town-hall meeting where everyone is talking at once and the people who are getting the most attention are the ones cursing and shouting incoherently and flinging feces at each other. There isn't much "free speech" happening. A lot of people are simply going to quit coming to these meetings because, even if you say something intelligent, no one will hear (and some people will just fling sh*t at you).

It is true that certain powers-that-be like Facebook and Twitter are trying to control the internet and that a lot of them would be happy if all the unwashed masses could do was hit the "like" button like trained monkeys. BUT, if the CNN website is infested by dumbasses who just shout "biased". "libtard", "SJW" even though they never even WATCH CNN and can't make any actual coherent criticism, and moreover, the intention of most of these people is not even to discuss anything, but just to antagonize all these anonymous "libtards" that they IMAGINE are on the site, it is totally understandable that CNN--or the IMDB--doesn't want to waste THEIR money giving these jerks and dumbasses a forum. They're not suppressing their free speech though--they can always p*ss off to some other place on the internet and yell into each other's a**holes.

So, yes, the trolls had something to do with it, but I don't think either CNN or the IMDB should shut down their forums. They just need to ORGANIZE them. Organization is not the same thing as censorship. And since we're talking about PRIVATE companies, they have every right to censor certain people. It's like a private country club kicking someone out for urinating in the pool. Please do for all our sake.

"Let be be finale of seem/ The only emperor is the Emperor of Ice Cream"

@lazarillo I'm just jumping in on this thread because I have run into your reviews on numerous giallos, eurotrash and other obscure films. I'm a fan. I'd like to encourage you and other cool IMDb-ers to move to TMDB who are now in the works of setting up a similar user forum / review section. And if you know of other sites that may be worthy or where you'll be spending time pls let me know. thx

WRONG, you ignorant paranoid freak.

Where do butterflies go when it rains? Who goes around & tucks in the trains?

What is happenng is that this kind of discussion board is migrating to Facebook and other social media, just like usenet mighrated to the WWW circa 2000.
Yeah, this thread is the usual conspiracy theory BS.

I doubt it. No meaningful film discussion will be or has been happening on social media. There are no boards. And there are trolls there as well.

It's really no coincidence that so many comment sections have been shut down in the span of a year.

Wrong on all counts.

It's a money thing, plain and simple.

"Every time I walk into my office I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophies not 5 rushing titles" .