Film General : I did the math and IMDb will only lose 1% of their users!

I did the math and IMDb will only lose 1% of their users!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

Re: I did the math and IMDb will only lose 1% of their users!

Only an estimate of a million users use their boards out of 250 million...

Your math isn't very good because that would be .4 percent, not 1 percent.

Still, the 250 million figure the IMDB is throwing around obviously includes every single person that occasionally has looked at the IMDB site, if only to check a movie credit or an actor's birthday. If you look at the history of a bar or nightclub, the regulars may be less than 1 percent of the people who have ever SET FOOT in the bar, but does that mean there's no risk in kicking them all out? For better or worse, they are the ones that spend the TIME in there and give the place its character.

I don't know that the IMDB will become a wasteland without the message boards, but I think it will lose a lot more than 1 percent (or .4 percent of its users) because I think you have to think in terms of user HOURS, not just users. Imagine the same number of people stepping in the bar for a single drink, but every time the bar is half deserted or half full of strangers--that DOES affect business.

"Let be be finale of seem/ The only emperor is the Emperor of Ice Cream"

You're fake news!

You bring up some interesting point.

I'm more with the OP that losing the boards won't affect a lot of the traffic on the site, but the small percentage of visitors that use the message boards, ARE regulars and create consistent activity to help generate ad revenue perhaps.

I don't think the message board users do much of anything to create any/much character for the site other than to the other posters, which is a small percentage. I came here for years and years before I even knew there were message boards and finally registered.

Completely agree on your 250 million comment, that's fake news, LOL. But I've noticed as a daily regular on a couple of boards that it's not really that big of a number of posters that contribute, but who knows how many visit, read and do not contribute.

I don't think this will affect IMDB at all to be honest, but what do we know, right?

"Every time I walk into my office I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophies not 5 rushing titles" .

But I've noticed as a daily regular on a couple of boards that it's not really that big of a number of posters that contribute, but who knows how many visit, read and do not contribute.

Good point. In a similar sense (and this is not true) amazon might make their most profit selling adult diapers, but if that's all they"re offering, how much traffic would they get? Who would consider them nothing but a diaper seller? The bottom line is the decision to cut the message boards is not about them not making profit, it's about them making a profit on a Facebook deal that makes them more of a profit. Having people sign in independent of facebook must go. Facebook devours its competition. If better alternatives are still out there, facebook must kill them.

What ad revenue?

What is the point of a message board if no-one contributes. What is the point of just reading them. With the state the boards are in now they're not going to learn anything. Except to stay away from them. Getting rid of the boards won't affect Imdb at all, it just means that some people will have to find something useful to do with their lives. Shock horror, perhaps they'll have to communicate with real people.

This includes you, Mr. I Post Here Everyday All Day

This is different because some people like family or friends don't have an interest in cinema and on IMDb, you're talking to thousands of different people about cinema. These people also give good feedback and recommendations, it's honestly really useful for a person that wants to make a movie and people who are making movies!

Save IMDb! https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petition-to-keep-the-imdb-messageboards-going#

ARE regulars and create consistent activity to help generate ad revenue perhaps.

Regular user of message board like this one are aggressively rejecting ads on the web usually (I suspect it is the case for this message board).

Have you ever clicked on a ads and bought something while using the message board ? I will bet you never saw an ads at all, that you are using an adblocker like almost 100% of the regulars.

I don't know anything about ad blockers, but I'm not tech savvy. 100%?? HA HA

Ads are not all just click and buy, they are promotions for upcoming TV shows and movies, that's the point I'm "wondering" not "stating". I might have poorly written my post.

Other ads are just brand recognition. Just something for you to think on.

And yes, in my life, I have clicked on ads and bought something.
"Every time I walk into my office I walk past 5 Lombardi Trophies not 5 rushing titles" .

You need to show that math or you only have an opinion.

So you are just guessing and making stuff up, i predict IMDb's traffic will only consist of bots collecting data.

The boards are a negligible part when it comes to money earning. They claim to get 250 million unique visits but thats mainly because the IMDb page is among the first to come up when you google any movie. There are 1.7 million ratings for Shawshank Redemption, so at least that many registered users. The amount of people who use the message boards or at least the amount of signatures the petition has gotten isn't even 1% of them. So yeah, we are a disposable vocal minority to them.

A Cosmic Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrStxwFA1MI