Biloxi Blues : Matthew Broderick

Matthew Broderick

In my opinion Matthew Broderick is a brilliant actor, his performances have been both touching and funny, this film Biloxi Blues is brilliant and very underated. Brilliant film worth watching time and time again.

Re: Matthew Broderick

Ditto

"Dabblin'in water colors,Eddie?"

I agree

So incredibly underrated. If you look back at his career, very few actors can demonstrate the versitility that Broderick has.

So incredibly underrated. If you look back at his career, very few actors can demonstrate the versitility that Broderick has.

UmmI disagree. I'll admit his characters in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Project X, Biloxi Blues, Glory, The Producers, and Bee Movie (which I only saw one scene of) were different but the rest have all been the same or at least it feels the same under his wing. I've got proof if you don't believe me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gacn2APpJ94&feature=channel_page

I call movies that are considered 'bad' hated movies.

My posting said very few ACTORS can demonstrate the versatility that Broderick has, not the characters. Broderick has done comedy, drama, animated, musicals (TV, Stage and movies). He has played character roles, romantic leads, dancer, singer, has narrated countless specialty projects (like Civil War, Shea Goodbye)and recently been fantastic on off-Broadway in a dramedy called The Starry Messenger, where he received rave reviews. He has also directed a film and several plays. That's versatile!!

yeah but does he really have range? i mean being versatile as an actor includes playing different kinds of characters and making them real characters and not just a little different but basically the same people you made before.

how come in every movie after ferris bueller he is ferris bueller with very few exceptions? i mean he's like ferris in the freshman, biloxi blues, the road to wellville, the cable guy, inspector gadget, even in an episode of modern family he was ferris bueller. ever notice this?

lukejbarnett

ok, this is really interesting. after watching the first half i thought, "he's just playing ferris bueller." but then after watching the second half i though, he was better in the second half than the first half and in the confrontation scene with walken he showed he has some acting chops.

the reactions he makes while being confronted by walken and his reactions from his situation and the pressure his character was feeling and having to be a man in that scene are great.

but why does he always seem like he's playing a variation on ferris bueller in every movie after ferris bueller except a few movies like election? every person in the world is unique and different than every other person so then that means that every character an actor performs in a movie should be different from each other right?

lukejbarnett

he is NOT underrated. he was HUGE. his problem is he wound up playing parts that didn't fit him. but what he did right, he did perfectly.

The Fearmakers Blog https://thefearmakers.blogspot.com/

Broderick is OK in Biloxi Blues, but Christopher Walken is the reason I watch it.

yes i'm so glad you said this bc i love walken in this film.

he is so much fun to watch in this film. i love watching his every facial expression. he gives a masterclass performance and demonstration.

what impressed me and surprised me was broderick at the end when he stands up to walken. he is totally believable with how he reacts to him. it was the first time i ever saw him act this way in a movie. he goes from funny before, to serious to dead serious.

lukejbarnett

All things considered, this is a great movie and probably underrated by most people.

how many times have you watched it? i've watched it 2 times.

do you consider people who you care about's thoughts and views on movies to be epic and eternally legendary meaningful and important to you?

this movie was talked about by a good friend of mine growing up. so what he said meant a lot to me and always will even then which was before i had watched this film. then years later while i watched it for the first time i thought of him fondly and thought about what he said about this film fondly bc he loved it at the time. he said he always thought it is better than ferris bueller's day off.

movies to me are one of the most important things in the world. so bc i am a film buff i take to heart whatever it is that someone who i care about, who i am close to says about a movie especially if they love the film.

i always remember and think about years later when a friend or family member says they like or dislike a movie bc i have a great memory.

lukejbarnett

I've watched it maybe four times and every time I get a little more out of it and enjoy it even more.

I don't feel the same way that you do about people I love and their choice of movies. I realise that people's preferences about movies are so different and sometimes my friends and I disagree over them. That's cool and we can have some great discussions about them.

what is cool? what can we have great discussions about?

have you ever watched les bonnes femmes(1960)?

lukejbarnett

yeah no one ever talks about this movie for some reason? i don't know why? maybe bc it was overlooked and never watched by many people when it came out bc people were watching other movies then.

funny how many movies that take place in the military were coming out in the mid and late '80s. you had this movie, hamburger hill, full metal jacket, platoon, casualties of war, etc.

lukejbarnett

Didn't he kill somebody?

My password is password