Film General : Apparently IMDB think we are so weak we cant possibly take some trolls

Apparently IMDB think we are so weak we cant possibly take some trolls

The right to "speak and hear" other ideas about anything (in this case movies) is a fundamental stone of the net. More and more sites are being blocked and now IMDB is closing the messages board "because is no longer a positive experience"...touches into fascism.
Who do you think your "users" are?
? We perfectly can.
Whats wrong with not being pc. I am a liberal and for me this is wrong, now i will not be able to write or read other ideas, some good, some bad, some very funny, because of some "negative comments". No!
I prefer having 100 guilty people walk free than 1 innocent person in jail.
This is pc taking to the extreme, its extremist, its a way of silence all the voices.
The only reason i come here is to hear other people ideas, if not i will go to a simple website that just resumes the movie for me.
Yes, you can throw us all out IMBD, but your attitude is wrong, what will make you different?

For you initial idea I applaud you, I wish you success going further, but will no longer visit you website, because i fundamentally disagree with what you are doing. I am an intelligent person, who is completely able to ignore or not read comments that I think are crazy, and talk with people whom I disagree with.

everything's for sale for the right price

No

It does not "touch into fascism". IMDB is not a country. They are a business and this is a business decision. Here's what so many posters seem to forget: You are a guest here. They are completely right - the experience here has become very negative. It's not about people expressing disagreements, it's about doxing, bullying, harassing, taking over boards, fake accounts, and voting down movies without seeing them. Groups will target individuals, groups will target specific movies. You've understated the problem and, if that has been your experience at IMDB, then you have been lucky and perhaps visited the right boards.

Re: No

That only happens because imdb allows it to happen. I can't see how that couldn't be solved with a new forum and new procedures that could have been introduced when the new imdb is released later this year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they roll out, unless it costs. 😃

As long as it is not imdbPro, I am about 100% sure it will not cost anything.

I disagree with you, in that, i dont feel i am just a guest here or you or anyone, all of us together where the ones who gave imdb the "power" they have. "doxing, bullying, harassing, taking over boards, fake accounts, and voting down movies without seeing them." its wrong, but is it that deep?No. We just have to ignore them. Flag them.
Why do we care about these trolls? They add nothing...Why are we giving them the power

ss decision. Here's what so many posters seem to forget: You are a guest here. They are completely right - the experience here has become very negative. It's not about people expressing disagreements, it's about doxing, bullying, harassing, taking over boards, fake accounts, and voting down movies without seeing them. Groups will target individuals, groups will target specific movies.
All of that has been going on for as long as I've been here and i've been here over ten years. It's no worse than it ever was. In 2008 you had hundreds of thousands of fanboys voting "The Dark Night" up and hundreds of thousands of haters voting it down. This is nothing new. Why is this "negativity" suddenly a problem that warrants shutting the whole thing down?

What are words for when no one listens anymore

If it was only negative then there would not be so many people posting on these boards, people would just stay away.
But, the the OP's point, it not US who post here who cannot take the Trolls, it is the folks in Hollywood who don't like going to their pages and finding some negative comments.

"Here's what so many posters seem to forget: You are a guest here."

And without us YOU ARE NOTHING.

goodbye

It's not about people expressing disagreements, it's about doxing, bullying, harassing, taking over boards, fake accounts, and voting down movies without seeing them. Groups will target individuals, groups will target specific movies.

You're right in that IMDb's ratings system itself is broken. Does that mean they should do away with that too? It doesn't change the fact that anyone could get a more accurate assessment of a movie by reading the boards than by going by the rating.

As for doxing and all that, it's up to the user to protect their anonymity and use good judgment. In all my time here, I've never witnessed any criminal behavior, but I'd expect the IMDb community as a whole to speak out against it and bring those people to justice if such illegality did take place. We know that there are people out there who mean us harm. We just become diligent. It has nothing to do with removing a resource being used and enjoyed by so many people, who are using it for its intended purpose.

Yes, it's a business decision, but one made without any consultation with its members, who helped build and maintain the site for all these years.

The negative members egg each other on and enflame their bad behavior, bias, and ugly thoughts. Some boards aren't that bad, some are horrendous. It negatively affects the enjoyment of many who leave the boards because they don't want to wade in sewage.

Re: Apparently IMDB think we are so weak we cant possibly take some trol

The three previous posters all make good points--that's an IMDB record!

IMDB is private company and they don't have to maintain the boards if they have become a forum for abusive trolls, but the third poster is right--they COULD do something about this.

The people shouting "fascism" are always being a little hysterical, but there are parallels sometimes. In pre WWII Germany, Hitler used this group of dumb thugs called Brown Shirts to start street fights with leftists and create all kinds of chaos, so eventually he could impose order and suppress EVERYONE, including the Brown Shirts themselves! I'm not going to hysterically claim there is a Hitler walking the Earth today, but there is certainly an army of Brown shirt bullies--except they are too big of p*ssies to fight in the streets, so they anonymously bully people on line.

The first poster is right that people need to stand up to them, but the currently dysfunctional IMDB forums are a poor place to do it. It's like fighting in the mud with a pig--you both get covered in mud and sh*t, but the pig likes it.

I hope the IMDB does reform the boards and maintains FREE SPEECH, but that sometimes means shutting down the dumbasses who are very intentionally trying to destroy free speech.

"Let be be finale of seem/ The only emperor is the Emperor of Ice Cream"

"...dumbasses who are very intentionally trying to destroy free speech". That is exactly what I think, I dont think we should move an inch just because some *beep* with an IQ of a carrot want it, I am just trying to say that we cannot be pussies, we have to simply ignore them

Man you're delusional AF.

Where do butterflies go when it rains? Who goes around & tucks in the trains?

I keep thinking that when IMDb closes boards, maybe some new Col Needham will spot a good business opportunity and do it all over again, cause let's be honest, IMDb will become useless.

Someone might get rich thanks to this foolish decision. I hope this happens.

I keep thinking that when IMDb closes boards, maybe some new Col Needham will spot a good business opportunity and do it all over again, cause let's be honest, IMDb will become useless.

Someone might get rich thanks to this foolish decision. I hope this happens.

themoviedb.org is poised to become that site.

I've visited that site, but it looks nothing like IMDb so far. Hopefully they will redesign it so it resembles more. I like things that look familiar.

I don't think you understand correctly what IMDB mean.

Obviously 100% of board regular are not to weak for anything on the board this is trivial, by definition all of those that cannot and are not board user that is for who the board are not a positive experience, we are not a reference or who he is talking about.

The average IMDB user, the 250 million visitor a month figure (or anyone normal) would find many message board, yes strange and too heavy and will be turned off by them. At least they would know about it, they know how long a person after having seen a message board stay on their platform, we have no idea, but I'm not sure why they would lie about it.

You can't can you though, one of the reasons people were leaving. You obviously have no idea what fascism is. Oh btw shut the fck up.

I did notice more trolls myself, and too many off topic posts in Film General. But I could usually tell a troublesome post just from the title. And if I did click on the post another click moves along. I wasn't all that bothered really. I guess the issue for the administration is the number of complaints and rules disregarded. Maybe the Message Boards are not worth trouble to them, and inordinate time was spent on it. Maybe analogous to a building being abandoned from being vandalized.