Pop
0% 0 votes
Other (elaborate in thread)
0% 0 votes

Coke

Coke or soft drink.
0% 0 votes

smile.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤪 Biden "We finally beat Medicare." 🙂 Politico "Biden is toast."

Re: Soda vs. pop

I like Sprite lemonade. What do you call that in the USA? Is it pop or soda or something else?

The "Lymonade" drink? I think it's still considered soda (or "pop," to people who use that word).

I just say coke. Gets the point across just as well.

Throughout Heaven and Earth, I alone and the honoured one.

You never drink Dr Pepper or root beer?

Tbh, I pretty much only drink ginger ale and sparkling water. But, whenever I want anything else, I just ask for coke… unless there's a menu and I see that Dr. Pepper's an option. Then I ask specifically for Dr. Pepper.

Have you tried Mr. Pibb?

Yeah. Probably the best of the knock-off brands. Used to be a staple of family cookouts and whuat not.

Yeah, it's good.

I remember posting this same topic on the IMDb TWD board, and the thread ended up getting over 100 replies! I wonder if this one will get that many replies.

Soda wins!

I have never called it soda…it sounds like something short for Minnesota….lol

Pop is kinda outdated.

It's usually drink, cola or non-cola or the brand name…or on rare occasion, soft drink.

Are you okay?

I've always called it soda or the specific brand name or type of soda (Dr Pepper, root beer, ginger ale, etc.).

Some will say Soda Pop…so you can have it both ways, but I rarely hear that other than online.

Or a few will say beverage.

Are you okay?

Anyone who says “pop” in Texas will get dragged a mile by wild horses .

That’s definitely a yankee midwestern/Canuck thing to say and it also sounds ghey.

Growing up we always said “coke to describe almost all soft drinks. We’d be like: “get me a coke” “okay, what kind? Sprite? Dr Pepper?..etc” which I admit is kinda dumb.

I believe that term has faded though due to all the out of state refugees form Cali, NY etc….

Soda has now become the norm in my opinion. I use it now.

Filmboards: A place for friends.

I looked up the history of it…it started in Geneva in 1789 and was first called, seltzer.

Then the fizzer was known as soda water or craft soda when sweetened flavors were added to it in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Pop was the slang coined in Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin…which started to be used in nearby areas.

For others, it was ale…alongside their beer.

Soda actually sounds very ghey…but to each their own.

I don't call it either name.

It's just carbonated water….and because there's so many kinds nowadays, people just call it the specific brand name.

Even to say a Mountain Dew, you have to specify what kind…lol

People in the south do call it a Coke, no matter what kind it is…so a Mountain Dew would be a Coke.

Are you okay?

Yep and Minne–SOOOTA, North Da–KOOOTA. There's why pronounce Soda so ghey. Hell, its in the name. Dontcha KNOOO? On top of using the word Pop.

In the UK it's fizzy drink or something similar.

I guess we can still use "Coke" down here. To each our own.

Must have been an interesting time in the early to mid-20th century to go to the pharmacy to grab a beverage at the soda fountain. It was the bar to the youth.

Filmboards: A place for friends.

lol, I don't think soda sounds ghey, but I guess it depends on how you define "ghey."

Yeah, lol. "I'd like a sanitary belt, a bar of soap, a bottle of Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup and a chocolate shake."

Because the two primary ingredients in Mrs. Winslow’s Soothing Syrup were morphine and alcohol it is not surprising that the syrup relieved pain and diarrhea (a common side effect of all opioids is constipation).

Pop is popular here, but I usually call them soft drinks. We have a local company called The Pop Shoppe.

download-40.jpg

Yum!

why-not-both-why-not.gif

8aTcqnf.gif

We call it pop around here.

“There are no atheists in foxholes, eh?”-Keith Jennings from the Omen.