Film General : Silence didn't really feel like a Scorsese movie to me

Silence didn't really feel like a Scorsese movie to me

Call me crazy, but I felt more like I was watching a modern Kurosawa or Mizoguchi movie.

Did anyone else feel the same, or is it just a failing on my part to spot Scorsese's style ?

Re: Silence didn't really feel like a Scorsese movie to me

The film was an adaptation -- and a very close one at that -- of a famous Japanese novel. I'm reading it in English translation right now.

In any case, many of Scorsese's films deal with a little closely-knit gang or clique that operates at odds with larger society. The Last Temptation of Christ (1988), with its New York-accented streetwise disciples, hewed to this formula as well.

Well since you understand next to nothing of cinema, it's no surprise. You're a plebeian moron with pedestrian taste and a pretentious attitude because you crave attention. Thank Christ you will be gone soon.

Where do butterflies go when it rains? Who goes around & tucks in the trains?

I'm still crying.

Didn't see it but it reminds me of early Bergman.

It could have be me projecting (because I knew) but it did felt a lot like a Scorsese/Thelma Schoonmaker too me, strong auteurship on their part.

not enuf fagt ass joe peshi in it for u bich?

It felt like a Scorcese movie to me.It didn't feel like a modern Kurosawa or Mizoguchi movie because their output is extremely different from this movie.

Only the cinematography made it feel a bit different

It definitely doesn't feel like a Scorsese movie but that's part of the reason why I liked it so much. It is a very slow and long movie so I can understand why it won't gel with most people but those who have the patience will be rewarded with very profound often heartbreaking depiction of faith.
Performances wise Garfield was pretty damn good, although I am disappointed Driver didn't have a bigger role seeing that I am becoming a big fan of the guy.
I think it's his best since Departed. I would place it very highly on my rankings of Scorsese's ranked to worse.
My new favourite movie of the year.
My rating for Silence: 8.5/10
After seeing it yesterday morning I was on a real high....until the afternoon when I also decided to see Nocturnal Animals .

You only live twice Mr Bond
http://ibuk1985.blogspot.com/

It also had lots of voiceover narration. That is a Scorsese trademark.

Too bad that Leo DiC or Ray Liotta could not sign on just for the narration.

Vive La Côte d'Ivoire!

Lying to the very end. I have to admire your persistence. Or stupidity. Or both.

Phoenix is still much more well-liked around here than you.

Get the f--k off this board, you miserable sack of sh-t.