Arrow : Okay… I was wrong. I really like the new Black Canary.

Okay… I was wrong. I really like the new Black Canary.

I was convinced it was a mistake... I even wrote on here about my displeasure, but I really like this actress and I LOVED that her real name is Dinah Drake -- which was the original name of Black Canary. I had forgotten that... The comics later renamed her Dinah Lance or made Lance her married name, but anyway... I like how they handled it. I have to say, she has chemistry with Stephen Amell.

Re: Okay… I was wrong. I really like the new Black Canary.

I liked the character more than I was expecting to as well. I wasn't impressed with what I saw in the ending scene of last week's episode. But, I was pleasantly surprised this week.

I have to disagree about the name though. It just seemed odd. First of all there already is a "Dinah Drake" in Arrowverse, because Laurel and Sara's mom's maiden name was Drake. And it's not like Dinah is that common of a name... Second, if "Tina Boland" was her undercover alias, why did the CCPD records list her under that name?

Did they ever actually say the maiden name of Laurel's mother? Or did we just assume it was Drake when they said her name was Dinah?

This, I don't recall Laural & Sara's mom's maiden name ever being revealed.

That's actually a good question! I'm pretty sure that it was mentioned at some point... I just don't remember it. On the other hand, I might have assumed that it was implied.

She is a much better actress than Katie Cassidy and that made her likable but still...it's BS.

Yeah, I still think the whole storyline is absolutely ridiculous but I'm not gonna lie. I think Juliana did a good job with the role and if her last scene with Oliver is anything to go by, I think Dinah has the potential to become one of the more interesting characters on the show.

I'm not sold. She's not a good actress at all.

Lexa Doig is the only professional actor on this show!

I'm not impressed either and not that I'm a Laurel Black Canary purist, but did they really have to name her Dinah? I think they should have stuck with the name Tina Borland and left it at that.

I don't mind her being groomed as the new Black Canary so much. I still think the show isn't the same without Laurel, even if her role diminished over the years. But having her reveal her real name as Dinah was so tacked on and forced.

I'm in the same boat. I liked the character of Laurel, although more for her relationship with Oliver. I liked Katie Cassidy's chemistry with Stephen Amell. I was never a huge fan of Laurel as Canary. It was ok, but to me actually took away from her character. And I was disappointed that they killed her off, sort of brought her back, then immediately took her back off and replaced her.

But, after watching tonight's episode, I have to say I like this new Canary. I thought she did good. The acting wasn't Oscar-calibre, but then again, it's her first outing with the character. And let's face it, superhero characters are rarely amazing right out of the gate. It takes time to get into them. So, we'll see.

One thing I didn't like was naming her Dinah. I agree that it felt too forced. I would've preferred that they kept her as Tina, maybe with a real last name of Drake if they wanted to pay homage to the comics. Dinah is a pretty uncommon name, and now we have three of them. In the comics, they were all related. Here, we have a mother-daughter, and then some completely random stranger who happens to come in and arguably replace the daughter...and they coincidentally have the same name?

You never know...Dinah Drake was originally from a different earth before a BUNCH of random bs plot twists happened during the Silver Age that saw her have a name change and suddenly gain powers.

Yeah, I liked her. I groaned when she was introduced in the ending of last week's episode but watching her in action, she seems like a good actress.

A Cosmic Experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrStxwFA1MI

The actress is fine. The character she plays I couldn't care less about. She's just there as a pretender.

The fact that they made her out to be Dinah Drake reeked of desperation. As if somehow this makes what they did to Laurel ok.

I'm a little conflicted about the whole thing.

After watching the episode, I have to say I liked this new Dinah Drake. I liked her backstory and her characterization. In many ways, she's a near-perfect adaptation of the Black Canary from the comics (the police background, the metahuman powers, the tough-as-nails attitude). Slap a blond wig on her and its a done deal!

If she's the Black Canary moving forward I'll be more than happy about it. I just don't like how we got there.

It appears now that the showrunners have no concrete plan as to how to proceed with the Black Canary.

I mean, let's just backtrace the evolution of Black Canary on the show-

1. Originally, they introduce a character called Laurel Lance, an integral part of Oliver Queen's backstory and the female lead of the show. She's definitely set up to be the 'endgame' love interest wise - and of course, it is of course a distinct possibility that she'll someday evolve to become the Black Canary.

2. One season later, Laurel's no longer THE love interest (though it could just be a plot wrench to keep them apart only for a reunion later in the series). But there is a Black Canary - Sara Lance, Laurel's long lost presumed dead sister. Now, Sara being alive was apparently always on the cards, but her becoming Black Canary was a later development. Okay - so it seems like the thinking now is to possibly have Sara as Black Canary, and Laurel as the eventual love interest. But then Sara becomes the love interest as well, making Laurel kinda redundant...until finally, Sara's out of the picture, and Laurel seems tipped to take back her spot, as potential Black Canary and ally of Oliver's (if not love interest).

3. Well...it happens. Sara dies, and Laurel ends up becoming Black Canary to honor her. It seems a close enough replication of Black Canary's comic-book backstory - except that instead of the mother, its Laurel's sister who was the original Canary in who's footsteps she's following. So Laurel's now the definitive Black Canary - the only thing that's missing is her relationship with Oliver, now being ignored in favor of Olicity.

4. And then, Laurel is killed off, and that's a real blow to the whole program. She's belatedly acknowledged as a one-time love interest and there's talk about her legacy as Black Canary - but that's about it.

5. Barely has the dust settled on Laurel's grave than we are introduced to her Earth 2 counterpart, Black Siren, who's in some ways a more comics-accurate take on Black Canary. Black Siren is almost definitely a set-up for the new Black Canary - if she ends up falling in love with Earth 1 Oliver and starting a relationship and crime-fighting partnership with him, it will be a replication of Black Canary's original pre-Crisis backstory - a vigilante from Earth 2 who starts a new life on Earth 1, with Oliver Queen. (Remember this, we'll come back to this later).

6. Then there's the reveal of Laurel's last request - that she not be the last Black Canary. So now it's for certain that the show's not done with Black Canary. And yet, the notion of some random new character other than Laurel taking the mantle has been practically debunked already (after Evelyn Sharpe's failed attempt). And Katie Cassidy is said to be a presence in the Arrowverse moving forward...so it does seem clear that the 'next' Black Canary will somehow still be a version of Laurel (who's now slated to be making appearances this season).

7. Laurel comes back miraculously from the dead, but it turns out she's Black Siren (refer to point 5). It seems that the Black Siren tease is finally paying off - Oliver will try to redeem this new Laurel, and she becomes not only the new Black Canary but also possibly his lover. It seems a perfect solution - Laurel's death still matters and her memory is preserved, and yet she literally lives on in her doppelganger, who becomes the comic-book version of Black Canary. Yes...she doesn't get reformed at the end of the episode and she's locked up, but its clear that this is the direction they're eventually going in. Except...

8. Tina Bolland appears at first to be another one of those random Black Canary candidates - a red herring much like Evelyn was. But now, not only does she become Black Canary (with a real 'Canary Cry' and everything), but she's revealed to be 'Dinah Drake' - making her a 'legit' adaptation of the 'canonical' original Black Canary (previously represented in this verse by Sara). And she may well end up in a relationship with Oliver down the line, given their shared history of trauma...

The whole thing just seems WAY too confused. They spend so much time making Laurel (a character who worked pretty well in her own right without the Black Canary mantle) into the Black Canary (even though they had another pretty good option for Black Canary), which is just as well because she was no longer a potential love interest. Then they kill off Laurel, and soon after introduce a way for a version of her to come back and take over as both Black Canary and Oliver's lover. And just ONE EPISODE after setting up THAT development we've got another Black Canary who's a totally different character (and yet a 'canon' character) from Laurel.

Which begs the question - what was all of this for? And at the end of the day, what did the 'Laurel Lance' character, as played by Katie Cassidy, mean? Because all she amounted to, at the end of the day, was being Oliver's one-time flame (a backstory that was often ignored when she was alive and infrequently brought up now that she's dead) and Black Canary for a short while - until the REAL Black Canary was introduced (assuming that this Dinah Drake IS the end-game).

Hell, diminishing Laurel's place in the Arrowverse kinda affects Sara as well - who's one of the most popular characters in the verse AND one of the leads in the ensemble that is the Legends. Sara's claim to fame was that she's the sister of Black Canary and the 'original' Canary. Now? She's sister to A former Black Canary who was killed.

Formerly sn939

Which begs the question - what was all of this for? And at the end of the day, what did the 'Laurel Lance' character, as played by Katie Cassidy, mean?

The same could be said of any tv/movie character who dies, can't it though? It could be said of anyone who dies IRL, especially if they die young. What is it all for? I don't want to get all philosophical but I don't see how Laurel's ultimate fate negates her journey or her affect on those she loved.

I also don't see why any of this is such a big deal. The comic book world is full of redos, revamps, reboots, resets, alternate this and thats, now they're dead/now they're not, multiple characters carrying the same hero mantle, gender swapping of hero identities, time loops. It's all crazy so why should the shows, and I'm including all the current DC tv shows here, be any different?

It appears now that the showrunners have no concrete plan as to how to proceed with the Black Canary.
I would agree with you there. Sometimes it seems like the writers are just winging it.

If this episode had been the pilot, I'd have been quite hopeful. Tina/Dinah complements Oliver quite well, and she's badass enough to make a believable Black Canary. The Talia flashbacks were quite enjoyable, and even most of the team were used somewhat reasonably (except for Ragman, but he's too OP, so he worked better as Rory).

Too bad there's a ton of baggage, by this point.

---
You're suffering from delusions of adequacy.
Cookies: http://tinyurl.com/hj7nl9j

The same could be said of any tv/movie character who dies, can't it though? It could be said of anyone who dies IRL, especially if they die young. What is it all for? I don't want to get all philosophical but I don't see how Laurel's ultimate fate negates her journey or her affect on those she loved.

I also don't see why any of this is such a big deal. The comic book world is full of redos, revamps, reboots, resets, alternate this and thats, now they're dead/now they're not, multiple characters carrying the same hero mantle, gender swapping of hero identities, time loops. It's all crazy so why should the shows, and I'm including all the current DC tv shows here, be any different?

You do have a point admittedly. My perspective on this is subjective, but here me out.

Laurel was set up right from the start of the series as a number of things. An integral part of Oliver's backstory. A potential love interest in the story ahead. A potential future ally of the Hood (given her comic-book 'destiny' as well as her own crusade as a lawyer).

Over time, she ceased to be a love interest. The backstory with Oliver was ignored. All she had left was being Black Canary (since even her civilian career as a lawyer, a crucial part of the first two seasons, was largely ignored) and its not like there was a whole lot of focus on that.

And then she was killed off.

So what is really left? At the end of the day, she was once Black Canary (which wasn't even her most memorable time on the show), she's Oliver's ex who he doesn't talk about in that sense much. With Black Siren, there was a chance at seeing a new version of Laurel who could fulfill those roles as both Black Canary and as Oliver's lover. But now we've been introduced to a totally different character who could fulfill both those roles and be a 'canonical' character as well.

At the end of the day, Laurel, in the larger mythology of the show, is relegated to being someone Oliver used to know, who was briefly Black Canary before being killed. She's not the 'great love of his life' the way the show presents it, and she won't even be the 'canon' Black Canary anymore. And she's dead so nothing else her character was is applicable.

As far as the 'reboot' angle goes - well, I agree. Though the comics flip-flop over rebooting characters in a span of decades, not within five seasons of a TV show (and the flip-flop has only REALLY become egregious over the last season since Laurel's death).

Formerly sn939

I liked her, I liked the back story, and I thought the actress was very good.

They need to work on the movement between her and her stunt double, but I suspect that will come with time; right now the transitions aren't very smooth. Maybe the costume will even that out.

But I just don't. care. I'm not even sure I care about this in terms of Oliver's development, and that concerns me.

Did they show Tina in a Canary costume? Please tell me its not Bondage style like Laurels awful suit

Nope. I think that's a reveal for next week, or the following week.

I liked her.

--==--==--
"This is my world" -- Superman