Her name is Tina Boland.
Oh. Yeah. Send her in, please.
Mayor Queen. It's impressive.
Maybe you should have led with that.
I got to admit...
I didn't think I'd see you again.
Yeah. Neither did I.
I guess I thought I would feel different
With Sonus gone, I thought I would feel liberated.
I wish it worked that way.
Heh.
How do you do it? How do you keep living with so much pain?
I'm still working on that myself,
But I can tell you it helps to not be alone.
That's why you're here, right?
That's why I'm here.
Back on that roof, you asked what Vince would have wanted.
We were more than just partners.
We were lovers.
I hated Sonus for killing Vince...
But I hated myself more for not being able to stop him.
Rene, the guy in the hockey mask, told the other guy that was with us - Curtis
That this team is all about finding second chances.
You said maybe we don't get second chances.
Well, maybe I was wrong.
Maybe you're my second chance.
That's a lot to put on my shoulders.
Well, Tina, there's something that tells me you can handle it.
So about that name.
Tina Boland was my official cover for undercover work.
It was to protect my family.
My real name is Dinah, Dinah Drake.
Dinah?
Does that name mean something to you?
I had a friend named Dinah.
She's the reason I sought you out.
What do you think she'd think about all this?
I think she'd be proud of both of us.

So, Tina Boland is Dinah Drake. As Alice would have put it, things are getting curiouser and curiouser in the Arrow-verse.....

Re: Spoiler. Tina's real identity

I'd call BS but I'm pretty sure Wendy Mericle's interview supports this theory:

We’re going to reveal her [Tina Boland] to be somebody very much connected to the comics.
Source: http://www.cbr.com/arrow-wendy-mericle-laurel-lance-black-canary-green-arrow-talia-al-ghul-dolph-lundgren/

They are truly the lowest of the low. This isn't just an OC, they are just full on replacing Laurel and trying to wash their hands of it. Wow, what asshôles. Glad they got their season 6, I hope the ratings tank hardcore now.

Don't Jûdgê a Boôk by Its Movîe

Katie Cassidy and her character should have gone down in this show's canon as the one and true Black Canary. This nonsense supposedly addresses the fact that "you can't have a Green Arrow show without the iconic Black Canary", but in reality it's a big "Fυck you" to Katie Cassidy and the viewers who were invested in Laurel's storyline as the Black Canary.

It's a troll move if I ever saw one.

LMAO, Tina Boland's real name is Dinah Drake! I knew it! I knew they were going to do something like this. The level of incompetence by the Arrow writing staff never fails to amaze me.

Katie Cassidy and her character should have gone down in this show's canon as the one and true Black Canary. This nonsense supposedly addresses the fact that "you can't have a Green Arrow show without the iconic Black Canary", but in reality it's a big "Fυck you" to Katie Cassidy and the viewers who were invested in Laurel's storyline as the Black Canary.

It's a troll move if I ever saw one.

Geez, how much more proof do people need before they realize that the producsers/writers never wanted Katie Cassidy to be Black Canary in the first place? They were trying to replace her as early as season 2.

It crossed my mind in season 2, but then they went through all the trouble of making her the BC and keeping her around as the BC for a year and a half. I doubt it was an elaborate plan just so they would introduce a new BC in season 5. From what I gather, Guggenheim wanted to move ahead without a BC after Laurel was killed off. It was Berlanti who orderes him to introduce a new BC as one of the recruits.

I read a theory that there was a contractual thing that LL HAD to become Black Canary, and that's why they did it.

Regardless, they were never into her - not from late Season 1 on.

I still don't know how people didn't see the writing on the wall for KC/Laurel in Season 4 when their idea of Season 4 developments for her were "bringing back Sara - to star on our brand new show!" and "she gets a motorcycle!"

I read a theory that there was a contractual thing that LL HAD to become Black Canary, and that's why they did it.

That's a very interesting theory and would explain why they never put any effort into KC's BC. It always felt like they were making her the Black Canary because they had to - not because they actually wanted to. However, if this theory is correct, I wish they would have fast-tracked Laurel's development and put her into the costume by season 2. She could have then served as the proto-Canary and died at the hands of Slade towards the end of season 2 - leaving the door open for the development of the real Black Canary - be it in the form of Laurel's little sister, best friend or sidekick - in future seasons.

I like Katie. Liked her as Ruby in SPN. Like her as Laurel in Arrow. Like her as Black Siren in The Flash. For me, Laurel didn't quite work as the Black Canary. it just didn't fit with her character, and her 'motivation' to honour Sara just didn't gel. Similar reason why I just can't quite get into Curtis' 'Mr Terrific'. Their motivations just don't fit with who they are/were and who they're trying to be.... They just don't have the 'hellish' life experiences that moulded Oliver into GA, or Rene into Wild Dog. Sara worked, cause she'd had some of the same experiences as Oliver AND she'd lived with the LoA. For me, Laurel (and Curtis) was more of a case of not wanting to be left out of the action.

I agree with all of this.

I never read the comics so cannot speak to cannon but it was beyond painful watching Katie Cassidy strike her modeling pose before saying her lines. I will be happy to see someone a bit more skilled come onto show.
Just one person's opinion.

This is such a trainwreck. I have to watch.

Good job Oscars! Hopefully Asian and Hispanic nominees in 2018!

That's the problem, isn't it? It's like watching someone in contention for a Darwin award. You can't stop watching because you just can't believe they're that stupid. You can't beleive they'll actually go through with it. But they do.

Educator07 wrote:

This is such a trainwreck. I have to watch.

I have to ask... who, exactly, do they think is going to be happy about this?

Laurel fans?
Comics fans?
Felicity Fans?
Lauriver fans?
Olicity fans?

I just... I cannot see WHO, exactly, is the target for this plot development.

I really don't have a horse in this race. I think, especially after the last two episodes, that they're headed back to romantic O/F by the end of the season.

But from a business/storytelling standpoint... I do not see why they killed off a character who, for better or worse, the audience had invested in for four years, only to replace her function in the team in the story with a newbie no one really gives a shyte about.

The one thing people were consistently 'meh' about in the first half of the season was the influx of newbies into the team. Even those of you who thought it was better than last season, and something of a return to the grit of yore were less than enthused, as a rule about all the new characters we were seeing. So now, they're essentially REPEATING that mistake with Tina/Dina/BC2, except adding insult to injury by putting her into the mix ONE EPISODE after they blew up the BC statue and brought back Katie Cassidy to do it.

Sure, it may be 'elegant' from a structural standpoint (if by 'elegant' you mean 'workmanlike, pedestrian, and REALLY EFFING OBVIOUS'), but from an emotional/investment standpoint, it seems pretty stupid.

Unless they've brought on all these newbies to kill most of 'em during the last act in the battle with Prometheus. Even then, not sure I care.

In other news, WHERE THE HELL IS THEA? I miss Willa.

Also, they really should probably figure out who's leaking all their stuff to reddit. Someone needs a'firin.

I think the target is comic book fans. Berlanti probably thinks that this way they are addressing the "you killed off the BC" criticisms. And most of them will be fine with this, I feel. Especially if Tina proves herself to be a badass. Some people don't care how stupid something is as long as it lines up with the comics.

Haven't gauged any reactions, but Felicity/Olicity fans should probably be indifferent about all this. Tina isn't coming in as a new female lead or as Oliver's love interest.

OK, that makes some sense. If you think it will work for them, it might, you have a better handle on that crowd than I do. I do know for SURE It's gonna drive Apple et. al. up the wall, but that was a given regardless.

I think O/F fans vary. There are some who see pitfalls in every corner, and who are protectively concerned about this new hire. There are others who look at the narrative as it's been constructed so far, and they're more sanguine.

Personally I expect Felicity to take a bit of a back seat for a few episodes, maybe around episode 13-14. EBR seemed to have a bit more vacation over the holidays than everyone else, and Canadagraphs has been a little too gleeful in his Arrow tweets for me to think that all is well in O/F land. (Though he isn't too keen on KC fans, either, so... yeah.)

OK, that makes some sense. If you think it will work for them, it might, you have a better handle on that crowd than I do. I do know for SURE It's gonna drive Apple et. al. up the wall, but that was a given regardless.

To be honest, I am not a comic book reader so I'd lie if I said I had a handle on them. But based on past experiences with other shows, I think it's something that would definitely satisfy most of them. For example, I remember comic book fans being ok with Smallville's Jimmy Olsen getting killed off and then being revealed to be the iconic Jimmy Olsen's older brother, because it lined up with the comics' version of the character being much younger than Clark Kent. Personally speaking, I hated that development as much as I hate this now. You can't have me as a viewer invest so much time on a character and then pull a switcheroo and tell me said character wasn't actually meant to become who you were telling me all this time. It's a sucky move for the actor involved as well. Because I seriously doubt Katie Cassidy (or Aaron Ashmore on Smallville) was cast under the impression that her character would be revealed to be a predecessor.

Mind you, comic book fans might still have an issue with the character down the line. Her first couple of episodes will be all sunshine and rainbows, but what becomes of "Tina" down the line? Like I said, she won't be the lead female character and the much demanded GA/BC romance is off the table. So will they be satisfied if she ends up being just another body in a very crowded Arrowcase (not that different to what Laurel was doing in season 4)?

Once Felicity became the female star of this show, a Black Canary was never going to work in it, IMO.

Personally I expect Felicity to take a bit of a back seat for a few episodes, maybe around episode 13-14. EBR seemed to have a bit more vacation over the holidays than everyone else, and Canadagraphs has been a little too gleeful in his Arrow tweets for me to think that all is well in O/F land. (Though he isn't too keen on KC fans, either, so... yeah.)

Hmm, that's interesting. And kind of odd. I thought her dark arc would be in full swing around that time. Maybe Felicity takes a step back during 5.11-5.14 and comes to the forefront again from 5.15 and forward. "Tina" has no storyline background to have a lengthy arc of her own anyway. Similar to Wild Dog and Ragman.

I think it will only satisfy the Comic fans if they go with GA/BC ever after which is the way in the comics.
It's not looking good for Felicity's and it certainly not for Laurel's.
Me I don't like the drama dragged by any relationship the only time I was happy with one was with Smallville Lois/Clark and it did annoy me at times LOL

I don't know why you think it isn't good for Felicity, because I can see the parallels/building blocks for a rebuild of that romance all over what we saw in the last two episodes. Even people on this forum who HATE O/F are pretty sure it's still on the table, much as they hate it. :)

Oliver still looks at her like she's his world.Oliver killing Billy was more relationship fodder, since it keeps the focus on THEIR connection and its strength even in the face of that drama. On top of that, they had Black Siren express jealousy of the O/F connection - and try to get at Felicity about the breakup. It was remarkable, really. There's a reason the O/F fans were really really happy about this last episode.

I said it will not be good IF they choose the comic way, right now we don't know anything or where they're going with this (I could see that most likely it's a sure thing for Felicity because the writers seems to be in her favor) but with how the ratings are going I wouldn't be surprised if they shake things up.

What I see in Oliver is a man who doesn't know what he wants, the reason the O/F were happy because how they treated Laurel's Fans (that's like in Box fight we don't know the score yet but Felicity just landed a big hit over Laurel).

Well now the real question is, are they gonna make her a good fighter, or make her another lackey?

I have said it before and I will say it again, killing off Laurel was the stupidest fùcking decision this show ever made.

What's worse is that killing her off is now rendered meaningless because Damien Darhk, the weakest of all the Arrow Big Bads, is alive again. At least if he remained dead and Oliver avenged her it wouldn't be as pointless.

I have to say that I am loving Damien on Legends, though. Neil McDonough and John Barrowman are tearing it up over there and it's delightful.

As for killing Laurel.. I don't think it was a mistake, but I do think them continually bringing her back and now coming up with a new BC is.. not the way to move forward.

My guess is that by the end of Season 2, this version of Darhk will be dropped back to 1987 and everything will proceed as usual.

The part that twists my tits is that right now 1987!Darhk has been removed from the timeline for months, yet nothing has changed in the present on Arrow. Laurel should have been alive again, for example. It's not even a case of waiting for the future to "cement", because the aberration that Stein caused in 1987 is alive and well.

They should just give up on Black Canary...honestly how can you be so dumb?
It's like watching a dog chasing its own tail

Do you mind if I have a piece of your thigh? It would complement this fine '76 Shiraz

Its not their choice. People need to understand that WB has their little hands in this. There were rumors that Black Canary might appear in the new movies. Maybe they trying out how should they approach the BC character in the movies. They did the same with Suicide Squad and Deathshot.

Suicide Squad and Deadshot were axed because of the movie, not used as a prototype.

The Emperor has no clothes.

Really?Black Canary would be in movie?but what movie?there are no way BC would be in Justice League (in current roster)

The one that can are probably Gotham Siren, but its still in the earliest stage

LOL if I only knew from the start that Laurel Lance is not the final BC on this show. I would have been less invested in her as the BC and obviously less invested in her relationship with Oliver. They are such trolls! How can they build up fans hopes and then crush them and then serve something else on the platter? WHAT on earth were they thinking???? Who are they trying to please comic book fans for investing too much time and effort in a character they didn't care about? Jack a s s e s!

I'm a comics fan (though GA isn't my favorite) though admittedly I read less now than I did a decade ago. I came to this show fully primed to root for GA/BC as individuals and as a pair. But Katie killed any investment I might've had. She was passable as Laurel, civilian lawyer, but no way did I buy her as the BC, especially not after seeing Sara in the role (the actress did the salmon ladder for crying out loud!). I'd laugh every time Katie did her canary cry and I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent. So, no, I'm not bothered at all that Katie's Laurel won't be THE Black Canary for this show because she just wasn't suited to the necessary fight scenes. Oddly enough though she carries the bad girl attitude of Black Siren more convincingly (still sucks at the fight scenes though). Time will tell if this new actress playing Dinah Drake will be believable in ALL aspects of the role. It's just been one episode and I haven't made up my mind yet. The character exists in comic book canon - though I don't consider myself a purist - so she's not invented out of whole cloth. I'll give her a fair shake but if she ends up sucking in the fight sequences like Katie did then I'll shake my head at another poor casting job.

As for romance, I'm past all that at this point. Maybe this version of Oliver is the comic equivalent of Jack Bauer and is destined to be a romantic loner, which might be a good thing considering that things never boded well for Bauer's romantic partners.

Most of what you're complaining about falls on bad writing not the actor

How is an actor's failure at portraying crucial aspects of her character the writers' fault? The writers can't make Katie more natural and capable in her fight scenes. Or even at faking them.

First Katie Cassidy was demoted as the love interest in favour of Felicity.

Then she got demoted as the second Black Canary, with Sara originating the role.

Now she's been demoted to an evil doppelgänger of her original character, who was killed off.

Enter: the real Black Canary! Played by a new actress!

So what was the point of all the run around with 2 prior Canaries? Third times the charm?

Gah, I hate this show but still watch it to punish myself for still watching it.

"I have EXORCISED the demon"

almost as ridiculous and Jimmy Olsen being henry james olsen.

I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not so sure.