Arrow : Playing the long-game with Black Siren...

Playing the long-game with Black Siren...

...isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Yeah, I, like many other fans, was frustrated when Black Siren ended the episode being carted off to custody and in almost the same breathe, Oliver decided to recruit some random new woman to be the new Black Canary.

But after watching the episode twice and thinking about it calmly, well...OF COURSE the writers would go this route.

It would perhaps be a tad unrealistic if Black Siren were to magically get reformed in one episode, commence a relationship with Oliver AND become the new Black Canary.

Let's not forget that some of the best developments on this show have involved the long-game. Roy's transition into Arsenal for one. Even Laurel's own transition to Black Canary. Slade becoming Deathstroke. The list goes on...(come to think of it, Oliver's origin story is the ULTIMATE long-game on the show - five seasons to tell the story of how he became the Hood, and three seasons to tell the story of how he becomes Green Arrow).

I think "Who Are You?" already covered a fair amount of ground to begin with. The redemptive aspect of a potential relationship, both for Oliver and for E2 Laurel has been established. And its very clear that its something that will be pursued as a plot point before the season is out.

All we can do is wait and watch...in the hopes that there will be something worth the wait at the end of it all.

That said, I'm tremendously excited that a theory we've been speculating on since April last year has actually come to fruition.

Formerly sn939

Re: Playing the long-game with Black Siren...

There's no long game, imo. They wouldn't introduce a new Black Canary (Tina) if they wanted to make Black Siren the next Black Canary. They just left a window open for Black Siren's return to keep Katie Cassidy's fans hooked.

Katie Cassidy has fans?

I don't care about a troll who doesn't pay for his opinion telling me how to review movies.

Katie Cassidy has fans?

She clearly does, this board has more threads about Laurel or Black Siren than Oliver.

Why is Tina consider random? Even DLL is not directly from Star city though. I think Tina metahuman power make her unique and I think it be interesting someone who already equal to Oliver join the team.

By random I meant an original character created for the explicit purpose of being 'the new Black Canary' with zero build-up.

Obviously she's a red-herring. Though that doesn't mean it won't make for an interest episode, or series of episodes.

Formerly sn939

It wont. What show are you watching? They are filming episode 17. Kc hasn't filmed anything since 5x10. She also wont be part in the episode after 5x18 since that is the time reserved for setting the final battle on Arrow. There is no need for BS because they have Tina with the sonic scream and Tina also seems to be a equal to Oliver fighting wise just like Sara. IF BS is returning it will be for 1 episode to do a scene with Quentin.

There is no long game they just didn't kill her so they don't get death threats

One problem is that the long game rarely turns out well on Arrow, Slade was the exception all the rest sucked, they weren't done in the long term simply held off before being rushed, Speedy went from defenceless teen to ninja over a summer, Roy some how became a good archer by falling into a coma, Laurel's was rushed but I kind of give it some give because they set her up as being able to handle herself back in S1 but still she want from getting the crap kicked out of her by an abusive husband or whatever to BC after a few months of boxing lessons, Oliver's journey alone is the biggest reason to fear the long game, since S2 he's advanced none in his training, and now were meant to swallow that just a few months with Talia turns him from the capable but still relatively normal Oliver into the killing machine we saw in S1?

Will they reuse BS in the future yeah most likely should we get our hopes up...not really, it could work great but these people have never actually paid anything like this off, whats likely to happen is we get 1 maybe 2 mentions of Siren until they spring her back on us her redemption completed and her ready to be BC, just like they did Oliver's secret son, Felicity's paralysis, Thea becoming Speedy, it's all stuff you telegraph a mile away but somehow the writers still write the stories like they did it last thing on the day of the deadline whilst taking a dump on the bog.

There is no long game here. She's gone. She won't be back again this season (they said as much in interviews before the episode aired).

This is up there with the number of people trying to say that this past episode "killed off Olicity" again for Oliver/Laurel. Or that Felicity was jealous of E2 Laurel. It's like... alternative-logic. I mean, if anyone was jealous, it was E2 Laurel, who was all, "you're short, and I'm gonna kill you."

Hell, if they really want to redeem her, they'd likely have her redeem herself by having even THIS version of Laurel tell Oliver that felicity is his true love. AGAIN.