Arrow : anyone else tired of the flashbacks?

anyone else tired of the flashbacks?

At first it was a peek into the mysterious past of Oliver which was interesting. Now it just seems they can't fill an hour of story so they use it as a filler to pad out the episode. I don't follow the comic so maybe the Russian mob storyline is important but my mind ends up wandering off because I don't care.

My counter argument is that I'm offended.

Re: anyone else tired of the flashbacks?

I am. I've been sick of them for four years.

It's also a poor way to introduce a pivotal character, i.e. last season with Constantine.

"Oh by the way, I just happen to know a stupidly powerful magician demon summoning... guy, I never mentioned before."

Well we were never going to get a meaningful Constantine introduction. It was painfully clear that they were just using Constantine as a flashy cameo to distract from the point that it is absurd that Oliver knew about magic and never mentioned it before.

They all strive to deviate from the norm, but collectively swarm to be all the same.

Not in concept, but definitely in execution.
It's like they had this plan. Then they went to China and people were too retarded to take the multiple hints that he wasn't on the island for 5 years throughout the first 2 seasons so when the Season 3 flashbacks were poorly received, they caved and rewrote him back on the island. But then Season 4's flashbacks ended up being everything people complained about Season 3's flashbacks, but x10. Now even though we're seeing a long awaited event, it's kind of just "eh?"

They all strive to deviate from the norm, but collectively swarm to be all the same.

I'm getting tired of this season's flashbacks unrealistically syncing up with him in real time. Not only have they had the big picture's sync year after year but now they're having coincidences just about every episode. He learns a little tidbit or phrase 6 years ago in Russia in a certain order, and then 6 years later while up against an unknown Prometheus week after week he's recalling these tidbits in the exact same order.

They were horrible in season 4, this season's flashbacks are way better. I'm actually holding out hope that the story with Talia will be good.

Theoretically, no.

But they've been so poorly executed, I'd rather they spent the time developing the ancillary characters.

The flashbacks, after Season 2, have felt like a big waste of time.

They said they're somehow still going to have flashbacks after season 5, so.......Guess we're stuck with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z55W6ihUY-c
Moderators are terrorists.

They'll probably be flashbacks of Season 1 if they continue after Season 5.

-People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people. V4V

The very first episode shows a bearded, scruffy Oliver finally getting rescued after 5 years on a "deserted" island. But every flashback so far has never shown him alone on the island. All the missed opportunities to come home but he stays. I get it that they were trying to say the island is what transformed him from old Oliver to the new Arrow Oliver with the dark side to him. It is starting to seem a bit like overkill.

I did like the Hong Kong flashbacks though because it shows how Katana came into the picture. I wish they would show more of her.

I find the flashbacks on par, or even more interesting than the actual main plot, but that's just me.

Season 1's were good, season 2's were fair. After that it just seems like the writers went, "oh *beep* , we have to keep up this premise for three more years!"
The flashback plots have just been too inane and conveniently connected to the events of exactly five years later; and like another poster said, the synchronicity has reached a surreal level this season in particular.
I got the feeling they toyed with the idea of flashing back to season 1 next years, and tried it out by flashing back to season 1 this year; and it was terrible watching them try to shoehorn in an unseen plot from the first season, and try to tie into the current plot - complete with Diggle's prescient prediction that 'one of these days this is stuff is going to come back to haunt you'; and conveniently it was that exact mission that's come back to haunt him...

And how often has he even used his bow and arrow in the flashbacks the last few years; it seems he barely needs it, much less keeping in enough practice to be at the level he was upon returning to Starling City.
To top it off, they give him a shave and a hair cut last year, and somehow he's going to have all of that hair growth by the end of this season's flashbacks, to line-up with his appearance when he was picked up in episode one.

"You can lead a hearse to water, but you can't make it sink." The Cat

yes, but at least these are better than the last 2 seasons combined

Do you mind if I have a piece of your thigh? It would complement this fine '76 Shiraz

Yes I hate it now. Only liked them in season 1 and 2. I don't know why they keep taking him off the island. The appeal behind him is that he was a man who had to survive. Now what?

The flashbacks ruin this show for me in a lot of ways. They are so forced and out of place. It just sucks you out of the main plot. The flashbacks in Season 4 and Season 5 are especially pointless and annoying.

Folks have been sick of them for years. haha

I 100% agree with you.

They'll probably be flashbacks of Season 1 if they continue after Season 5.

As much as I don't want very forced flashbacks or more chrono syncs, I'd love a Back to the Future 2 kind of season 1 Flashback series (like the fake ones they made for this season) showing how other characters interacted with ones from season 1 / behind the scenes. Similar to the episode that showed when Oliver actually came back to Star City and snuck into the party.

Ever since they left the island.

The problem with Arrow's flashbacks is that it's stuck filling this rigid timeline of event, starting from 5 years before season 1, leading to when to where the very first episode picks up; and in turn they require those flashback to form their own season long arc, that gets dragged out much long than it needs to be.

I would say a comparative format that might be better is, "This is Us," where you have an ongoing storyline set in the present, but flashbacks are more randomized; plucking moments that may be important to the present, or foreshadow what's to come, occurred at different points in the past. They jump around and sort of play with time. They don't make every single moment of the period the flashbacks encompass significant enough to play in real time; just what's important to the development of the present story, and I would say that makes it feel more organic.
Mind you, that show is still in its first season; and it may not still feel that way in season 5....

"You can lead a hearse to water, but you can't make it sink." The Cat

lol i was tired of them after the first or second season.

You can't persuade fanboys. You'd be better off trying to convince a wall. ~CodeNamePlasmaSnake~

The only season they really worked for me was Season 2. Season one they were really depressing, Season 3 was tangential to the action, and Season 4 was just a mess. It was almost like, "Oh, wait - at some point he HAS to get bitten by a shark, we may as well throw that in now!"

I missed a lot of this season, so I was actually really confused in the last episode. Who WAS that guy? Is that flashback recap thread still around?

I was tired of the flashbacks way back in S2.

Me, those flashbacks don't say nothing.

It's not so much the parallels between events that have been 'forced' lately, it's the contrived cinematography and shot staging between vision switches. Like last week having Felicity pull her hand from the ice and hold it at an odd angle just so it matches the next shot, or this week when 'Tina' started to walk away from Oliver in the garage and took an unnecessary right turn on her second step just so her foot would land in THAT puddle for matching the vision switch...

They will be over next season which will be weird since we lived with them for 5 seasons.

Clark's destiny = Superman, LL &LL.

I love the flashbacks. I'd enjoyed it if they had done a show of the five years of Oliver 'on the island' and ended the series with him returning to Star City to begin his career as Green Arrow.

Flashbacks are the best thing about the last couple of episodes.

Nolan, I love you forever!