Arrow : Regarding all of the vitriol about the treatment of Laurel Lance

Regarding all of the vitriol about the treatment of Laurel Lance

It seems the audience is raging more about the treatment of the iconic comic book Black Canary character rather than this incarnation, which was never faithful from the start; Season Two Sarah hewed far closer, in appearance and attitude, to comic book Dinah. And Oliver's comic book romance with Black Canary was, itself, never iconic. Yes, they married, but it was quickly, and permanently, annulled after Oliver (wait for the delicious irony) murdered Prometheus. In the end, it was merely infatuation, just like on the show.

As for the fans taking up cudgels for Katie's Black Canary, let's remember...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e8d83d2b-526b-4032-ada7-677276960a62

This had not happened because they were evil people; it had not happened because the old gods were punishing them; it had happened because they had gotten lost in the woods, that was all, and getting lost in the woods was a thing that could happen to anybody.

Re: Regarding all of the vitriol about the treatment of Laurel Lance

Season Two Sarah hewed far closer, in appearance and attitude, to comic book Dinah.

The remorseless assassin who slept around with her sister's boyfriend?

Yeah, she had "Black Canary" written all over her!

The remorseless assassin who slept around with her sister's boyfriend?

In attitude and appearance, not action.

The problem has always been the writing not the actors in my opinion.

The problem has always been the writing not the actors in my opinion.

Both "Flash" and "Arrow" have many quality performers, many unappreciated, quality performers.

On "The Flash," their rules for every episode is: "Heart, humor and spectacle," and within those parameters, both shows (and, to a lesser extent, "Supergirl" and "Legends of Tomorrow") have delivered prodigiously.

This had not happened because they were evil people; it had not happened because the old gods were punishing them; it had happened because they had gotten lost in the woods, that was all, and getting lost in the woods was a thing that could happen to anybody.

If your Black Canary criteria is simply a badass chick who can throw a punch, then the problem is on your end. Not Laurel fans'.

They could have hired any stunt actress to do that. Black Canary is more than that though and Caity Lotz's version didn't work exactly for that reason. Katie Cassidy's version was much closer to the iconic version in terms of mentality and principles.

If your Black Canary criteria is simply a badass chick who can throw a punch, then the problem is on your end. Not Laurel fans'.

They could have hired any stunt actress to do that. Black Canary is more than that though and Caity Lotz's version didn't work exactly for that reason. Katie Cassidy's version was much closer to the iconic version in terms of mentality and principles.

Funnily, when I heard a cop was going to be the new Black Canary, I was hoping it would be Renee Montoya, so my perception of who would make a quality Black Canary is flexible.

As it should be!

They screwed up not making Laurel BC from the beginning. This is a hard reset.

I'm ready for it.

PS: Though I feel bad for the actress, her portrayal isn't going to get a chance by Laurel fans at all. And she deserves one.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You get filthy and besides, the pig likes it." Cyrus Ching

In fighting competence only.
BC is gorgeous, long legged, and sexy. Caity Lotz is 0 for 3.
BC is also flirtatious. All Sara does is talk about what lady she wants to get in. She's more brutish and crass.

Good job Oscars! Hopefully Asian and Hispanic nominees in 2018!

Better than a drunk pill popper.

And that's all Laurel ever was. Should have just let her overdose.

I don't care about a troll who doesn't pay for his opinion telling me how to review movies.

Of course Laurel fans don't care for a good representation of Black Canary. They are fans of the actress, not the character.
If they love BC, they should give a chance of someone else to play that character.
Laurel version of BC was also pretty far from the comics.
Most of the fans say they hate her story, but they still want her back in some delusion that she can have a story they like. But it's in their own big expectation not the writers fault.
And to say that an action role can be played by anyone is ridiculous. Say this to all action stars that built up their careers by simply being physical actors.
Being a professional martial artist is something important for BC, so the actress who plays her has to be believable in the role, has to have the body type, the attitude, and can throw at least a punch and kick herself. I hope Juliana Harkavy is like that.
And they did hired stunt double for Laurel, and her BC had some good stunts, people still didn't like her.
And I guess nobody minds the fact that Stephen Amell did so much stunts himself, and is such a physical actor. May be the whole show would have been in a completely different level, if they hired just some pretty actor who can't do a fight sequence. And big part of why Legends of Tomorrow is such a delight is Caity Lotz and the hard work she does in the fight scenes, which are pretty awesome.

Exactly the shallow minded thinking you would expect from a Sara fangirl: "Acting? Be damned! Characterization? Be damned! Just look how badass she is!".

And yes, Sara's role could have been played by any stunt actress. No one has ever singled out a scene where Lotz was remotely good acting wise, did they? It's all about how great she is in action scenes. You confirmed it yourself with your last sentence.

elo3322, do you think KC is a good actress?

For this kind of medium? Yeah. Didn't think much of her in season 1, but I appreciated her more once I saw how raw the likes of EBR and Lotz were.

Open your eyes, man and stop creating shrines. Cassidy is not the best actress in the world. She did not brought anything to the character of Black Canary.

If they kill the new character now for Laurel again, it will be another bad mistake.

Couple of things:

1 - If the Dollie relationship isn't iconic, why is it still alive? Why did DC make such a big deal about their wedding back in the day, making it such a big event? I remember quite well how heavily it was promoted. There had been different versions of the couple before and there's been new versions after in different eras and medias. People from DC such as Geoff Johns and the person who wrote the first issues of the new GA comics (dunno if he's still writing them) pretty much said the couple were iconic in other words, so I suppose you're gonna have to at least admit that this is a matter of opinion.

2 - This is not directly to the OP but the Black Canary has been through a phase in which she was an addict to alcohol and pills. It was just a phase, like it was with Laurel on Arrow, you know? Katie's character has a lot of elements from different Dinah-somethings from different DC's ages. We're talking about a character who's almost 70 years old. Dinah Laurel is the daughter of Dinah Drake and was meant to become the Black Canary from the start. It baffles me how some people still have a hard time accepting that even if the writers have done a bad job, an awful lot of people did enjoy Katie's character and Katie's portrayal of the character. People can say Sara was a better Black Canary as much as they want, other people will continue to prefer and defend the actual Laurel. The producers said themselves that Sara was never the Black Canary - Laurel was.

So forgive people for loving Laurel so much? I sure did enjoy watching the character on the show from the pilot. I'm not part of all the protesters all around because I don't have the time nor strength nor love for the show anymore. Katie's probably better off, but I understand the vitriol and I'm pretty sure these people do want her back - the Laurel that's gone through so much throughout her four seasons of Arrow.

If they never liked Arrow's Laurel that much, they'll settle for the new Canary and the vitriol about it will end. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, regarding this new Black Canary, I would offer the same advice I give for anything cinema or TV-related: Be hopeful, but guarded.