Arrow : Arrow has turned into a show about a politician who runs a death squad

Arrow has turned into a show about a politician who runs a death squad

Oliver Queen is cut from exactly the same mold as many third world dictators. he holds political power and also wields extra judicial violence against his enemies. kind of like Argentina during the dirty war in the 70s the police still function on the surface but the real enemies are just murdered by the special units.

Re: Arrow has turned into a show about a politician who runs a death squ

Sounds fun but I'm still watching Westworld. *chuckles*

Is that the show with Anthony Hopkins in it? 😍

1. Oliver was also mayor in the comics, so if you want to complain, be sure to include not liking comic canon to your list of grievances... not that I recommend that on this board.

2. Nobody, since joining the team, has killed anyone. So calling it a death squad is a bit much.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You get filthy and besides, the pig likes it." Cyrus Ching

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

and when Oliver was mayor in the comics, he wasn't commanding a Wild Dog on Team Arrow.
Dumb argument through and through.

I see another joker on the news telling me to play the fool.

Post deleted

Well...its certainly possible to interpret things that way if you want. And it would be an interesting notion to play with. But that's clearly not what this series is aiming for.

I suppose a better argument would be that Team Arrow is kinda akin to a black ops unit...a 'deniable asset' of the Star City administration. Which would be a pretty accurate description of how they've always functioned. Earlier, they were unofficially 'sanctioned' by Lance. Now, they're unofficially sanctioned by Oliver himself. But since Season 3, Team Arrow has enjoyed some kind of official patronage, barring a few cases (for instance, when Lance turned against Oliver or when Ruve Adams became mayor). I mean, in this season alone, Green Arrow simply walked into a crime scene in the presence of police officers to have a meeting with the DA.

There's this blog which interprets superhero mythos through the prism of real-world law and politics. One article argues that Batman essentially is a proxy of the GCPD and in the real world, the GCPD, and Gordon in particular, would be 100% accountable for his actions since, the lack of an official stamp of approval notwithstanding, Batman is for all intents and purposes a police operative.

Formerly sn939

a black ops unit used against ones own people is a death squad.

i just don't care about the comic. i like other media based on comics and graphic novels, but i never got into them as a kid and i'm just not interested in them as an adult. i'm interested in the fact that too me arrows main characters have become villain protagonists without that seeming to be the shows intention. how that relates to the source material may be interesting to other people, i certainly don't mind it being part of the discussion but it doesn't personal interest me.

I have seen very little evidence that you are following the narrative at all, so you must not be interested in that, either.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You get filthy and besides, the pig likes it." Cyrus Ching

no i'm following the narrative, i just don't think its exactly the narrative the shows creators intend it to be. i could be wrong certainly, but it seems to me that while an argument can be made for a vigilante, even one who uses lethal force to still be a hero, a politician who holds state power and still uses extra legal lethal force to further his agenda is almost by definition a villain.

He has killed precisely two people since he took care of Ra's al Ghul in Season 3: Damian Darkh on purpose, and Billy Malone by accident.

I don't know where you're getting the idea he's leading a lethal killing force, but it's not from the narrative!

Post deleted

I doubt the OP even watch any episode. ANother troll account by a known troll here to trash and attack the show.

check out my profile, this account is eleven years old. i actually kind of like the show, and i like shows with villain protagonists like "the shield" and "breaking bad". it just seems to me that that's what oliver is turning into but the show seems unaware of what he actually is... i know i may be wrong the creators and writers may be very well aware of the turn i see the character taking, but that's just not the feeling i get. "the shield" and "breaking bad" were built around the awareness that their central characters either were from the beginning or were becoming bad men, it seems that "arrow" still believes its central character is a hero or at least an anti hero when i don't think he is.

I get the feeling that the writers have no clue about their characters at all too. Sometimes the perception of the characters is forced on the viewer by direct lines in the script, but what we see is exactly the opposite.
So you can interpret it this way too.
To be honest it would have been interesting, if Oliver Queen is put in a situation as a mayor to go against the GA, because of the detective Malone kill.

Diggle killed his own brother.

Thea killed League of Assassins members and under the influence of mind control she killed Sara.

Roy killed a police officer in season 2.