Arrow : OT: Ridley Scott trashes Batman v Superman

OT: Ridley Scott trashes Batman v Superman

He's the director of Alien, Blade Runner, The Martian, Black Hawk Down and Gladiator.

As 2016 comes to a close, it seems one more celebrated Hollywood legend wants to take a parting shot at Warner Bros.' DC Extended Universe and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in particular. In response to a question on whether he'll ever direct a superhero film, Ridley Scott (Alien: Covenant, The Martian) replied, "Superhero movies are not my kind of thing - that's why I've never really done one. [I've been asked] several times, but I can't believe in the thin, gossamer tight-rope of the non-reality of the situation of the superhero. [I want to] keep making smart films."

But the Exodus: Gods and Kings helmer didn't stop there. "I've done that kind of movie - Blade Runner really is a comic strip when you think about it, it's a dark story told in an unreal world. You could almost put Batman or Superman in that world, that atmosphere, except I'd have a *beep* good story, as opposed to no story!"

"I want to keep doing cinema and I hope [the popularity of superhero films] doesn't affect those of us who still keep making smart films. I'm hoping it doesn't affect me."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/ridley-scott-uses-batman-v-superman-to-explain-why-hes-never-a147806

"Faith is my sword. Truth my shield. Knowledge my armor." - Doctor Strange
IRoadA

Re: OT: Ridley Scott trashes Batman v Superman

The guy who wrote and directed Prometheus is shìtting on a movie for having a weak story?

Damon Lindelof rewrote and ruined Prometheus.
Scott's made some bad movies, but Prometheus is on Damon.

I see another joker on the news telling me to play the fool.

People say Prometheus...but he's still a far better director than any comic book movie director. Some are good but he's a veteran (on another level) and he made Alien which generated a LOT of money.

Do you mind if I have a piece of your thigh? It would complement this fine '76 Shiraz

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Exactly. Scott isn't impugning BvS specifically, but the whole superhero genre. I hate that anyone would misconstrue, misunderstand, or sensationalize his comments.

That bit about putting Batman and Superman in a movie and having a good story as opposed to no story seems pretty pointed to me. I guess if cornered he has enough room to handwave it away, but it's still pretty unlikely he's not jabbing at BvS (for which a stereotypical criticism was that there was no story).

I actually don't recall the "no story" criticism being that prevalent. Most complaints were about tone, pacing, and performances (e.g. Eisenberg). Regardless, Ridley Scott was not trashing BvS, as the thread title suggests. There's no indication he's even seen the movie, and he established that he felt all superhero films have no story. There is no need to twist his words or make more out of this just to feed into some hate narrative.

People love to shoot the messenger.

IRoadA

Ahem... Prometheus

but I can't believe in the thin, gossamer tight-rope of the non-reality of the situation of the superhero

Never seen Aliens in real life so how can make movies about them be reality and heroes/vigilantes not be?

He believes the science behind Alien is fact.

Stop trying so hard Mystic. Its beginning to look pathetic.

I just tend the bar.

DCEU groupie strikes again...😀

Do you mind if I have a piece of your thigh? It would complement this fine '76 Shiraz

I'm no ordinary groupie. I'm the president of both the DC Extended Universe and Ben Affleck club.

I just tend the bar.

Apologies, your Grace. My simpleton peasant mind knows nothing.*embarrassingly scuttles back into the shadows from whence he came*

Whoa Whoa... Its entirely copy-pasted please don't shoot the messenger.

IRoadA

Yep, that's class.

Dude directed Prometheus and Exodus: Gods and Kings. He doesn't get to complain about "dumb" movies.

May the Force be with you.

trashing dc is part of his contract with marvel

1492: Conquest of Paradise. White Squall. Hannibal. Matchstick Men. 'nuff said.

Alien, Blade Runner, and Black Hawk Down all make BvS look like one big pile of baby *beep*