Jeri Ryan : Very overrated

Very overrated

was watching the marathon on ION. once again, they played the episodes with Jeri Ryan. i've seen her arc before. i love a couple of the episodes (The Lost Heir Job, The Bottle Job) but honestly, i cannot stand Jeri Ryan as an actress. imo, she added nothing to ST: Voyager. she also capsized the series Boston Public and Shark. i really appreciated both until she arrived on the scene.

Boston Public, for instance, was terrific in its first season, dealing with a myriad of topics regarding teachers and students Jessalyn Gilsog and Nicky Katt's characters had chemistry and were the central characters in the series. Chi McBride was terrific as the principal. however, second season came around and all the sudden, Jeri was brought into the cast. Jessalyn and Nicky had few scenes together and she left, then late second season/late third season he was written out. During the third season, the show went from a commentary on Boston high schools to Jeri Ryan's personal weekly crusade to save some student. it became a horribly-acted weekly spectacle.

Shark had a lot of potential. The James Woods drama had a great premise, but Ryan, who plays the same character in every frikkin role, was enough to ensure this series never got 2000 a third season. i like James Woods and he is a strong cast leader. however, Jeri Ryan was a horrible fit.

it seams to me that people are only hiring her for one of two reasons: 1. Her body, which is decent, but not even the best of ST actresses in the past 20 years (i.e, Jolene Blalock). 2. she got rolls given to her by her boyfriend who was a producer of Star Trek.

i will give her this, she found the right situation at the right time. However, her acting chops need some serious work. imo, i don't think she is a very good actress. i think she has gotten lucky and then proven she is not up to the task(s).

"I married a witch ... cool" - Ichabod Crane

"I married a witch ... cool" - Ichabod Crane

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Very overrated

Isn't it funny that 99% of those that thinks she's "overrated, or very overrated (your words)" are female?

She is what she is - no more, no less - and I'm confident she knows that herself. She's no A-lister Oscar nominee, and I think she's okay with that, as long as she get to work in the TV-business, and as said, I think she's okay with that.

Post deleted

Why? Why not show a mature woman in her natural state, without all the airbrush and photoshop?

- Yes I know she had a boobjob, and that's not natural, but she's still a very beautiful and sexy lady.

Post deleted

LOL me too!

gender has nothing to do with it. i outlined my reasons above. please update your reading comprehension.

"I married a witch ... cool" - Ichabod Crane, Sleepy Hollow

Amazing. You couldn't just say you don't like her as an actress you had to go and make bad statements about her look as well. It's just funny that a women would actually say such stupid things about another women, especially such a beautiful one as Jeri Ryan. Pure jealousy and bitterness.
Also you should check your facts about her getting the roll on Star Trek, it wasn't at all as you wished it would be.

Amazing. You couldn't just say you don't like her as an actress you had to go and make bad statements about her look as well. It's just funny that a women would actually say such stupid things about another women, especially such a beautiful one as Jeri Ryan. Pure jealousy and bitterness.
Also you should check your facts about her getting the roll on Star Trek, it wasn't at all as you wished it would be.

i absolutely love when people assume they know what others are feeling or what they wished. obviously, you are completely wrong about each label you tried to make. i mean seriously, what could i be jealous of? i have no desire to be an actress and have nothing personally against her. and bitterness? it's pretty clear you have no clue of the definition of the word.

my facts regarding her being cast on ST:Voyager are dead on. i'm sorry that truth apparently offends you. however, i don't remember an episode where she ate a "roll" on the show. i do know the true reason she earned the "role." might want to check your verbiage next time, hun. lmao!

You do realise that you wrote "she got rolls given to her by her boyfriend who was a producer of Star Trek" in your first post right? You can't really make fun of someone for their grammar when you've made the same mistake in the same thread.

so other than role/roll, you agreed with everything i said. thanks!

so other than role/roll, you agreed with everything i said. thanks!

that's not a question of agree/disagree, is a question of pointing out error.

I momentarily took you literally, I thought her b/f gave her 'rolls' on Star trek ie, rolls of something, maybe money..

When it comes to English I mostly learned it from movies and therefor I do make some mistakes when I write it. I did mix up the Swedish and English word for roll/role.

Thanks for pointing that out to me in such a charming way which also clearly shows I was totally wrong about you from the start.

"i absolutely love when people assume they know what others are feeling or what they wished."
Medice, cura te ipsum.

She has a nice butt though

So are you.

P.S. Buy a dictionary and a book on English grammar.

P.P.S. You went to Stanford and Columbia like I won ' The Congressional Medal of Honor '.

How could you have appreciated "Shark" BEFORE she came aboard? You mean the first ten minutes of Episode one or what? She was right there from the beginning. People like you who write such nonsense always make me suspicious about their intentions. If you want to slam Jeri Ryan because you hate her then just say so and get over it.
BTW it should make you think about the acting abilities of her colleagues when she is able to take Center stage both in Voyager and Boston Public 111c .

you're mis-directing my original comment. Shark was promising before Jeri Ryan came aboard.

Voyager was designed by the network to last for seven seasons. ST The Next Generation went seven years and so did Deep Space Nine. Voyager ended up being the same -- by design; They got rid of Kes and brought in Seven of Nine. i'm sure 14 year old boys liked that, but it did nothing to enhance the show.

On Boston Public, as i mentioned, they brought her in to phase our Jessalyn Gilsig's character. when she became the focus of the show in the third season, the ratings dropped and the show was canceled.

when did i mention that i hated her? hmm

what i've said is that she is not a good actress. that's all there is to it.

"The earth isn't something we can keep taking from without ever thinking about giving back."

In case you haven't noticed, most actors Play the same roles over and over again. Only few get the Chance to Show a different side, so don't pick on Jeri, rather pick on the Producers who are responsible for this typecasting.

that is not a completely invalid point. i would only say that if she wishes not to be typecast, and to be considered as a serious actress, perhaps she would accept roles outside of that typecasting.

"The earth isn't something we can keep taking from without ever thinking about giving back."

The question is: What roles are they offering her? And another consideration: How much would she get paid for her work? She is not one of the lucky few who get paid a few Million bucks, therefore I don't think that she actually can afford to go for that one small breakout role and say no to another offer in the usual vein. And sometimes People even hate you for doing something different for a Change. I know a few People who used to love Schwarzenegger, but hated him forever after doing Comedy (although he was good in it).

TOTALLY agree she's overrated.

While I respect your critique of her acting, I have never seen or heard anyone say she was a good acteress. I agree, she mostly gets roles because of her body which I agree is not the best (bad proportions --- big T&A, skinny arms and legs). But, she is still good looking.

I think she does a good job on Voyager. But her role is monotonous. Being that she rarely shows emotion. And is often bothered by the humans' interest in anything other than maximum efficiency. But I don't know whose fault that is --- the writers' or the actress's.