Travel and Recreation : Anyone been to Ft Myers or Naples before all this?

Anyone been to Ft Myers or Naples before all this?

I took off some work and spent 3 months in Ft Myers the winter of 2010, just after my second boy was born (I wanted to skip the Canadian winter that year).

It was a pleasant place with nice people. Naples was a bit more upscale. Nice beaches and good food.

Sad to see all the destruction there.

Re: Anyone been to Ft Myers or Naples before all this?

Fort Meters got wrecked

My password is password

I've never been farther south than Gainesville. I find the peninsula scary! Too much low-lying land, sinkholes and hurricanes. Oh, yes, a lot of bugs and snakes also.

[center] [hr] [poll multiple] [s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u] [r] [by][l] 

Yes, many times.

We're not that far from Naples on the east coast.

We vacationed there quite a bit with our kids when they were young.

It's going to take a long time to rebuild. 😢

Stock up on guns and ammo.

Yeah, that's really sad. And it feels like it was not that long ago that the region bounced back from the mortgage crisis.

I've only been as far as Tallahassee. Could've gone to Orlando for Disneyworld, but I passed. Even as a kid, I wanted to go to Nickelodeon Studios at Universal, not Disney.

My kids were never fond of Disney, but love Universal Studios and Busch Gardens.

Disney is overrated.

Stock up on guns and ammo.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Yes. I go there for work fairly regularly.

🎄Grade "A" Fully Loaded🎄
🎁"Sexy as Hell"🎁

Oops, seems there's more than one Naples.

Now, *that* Naples ^^ I've actually been to - a couple times.

by ZolotoyRetriever October 01, 2022 10:05 PM
Member since November 11, 2017

Now, *that* Naples ^^ I've actually been to - a couple times.

Yes, *that* Naples is a wonderful, crazy city. ♥
With a beautiful countryside.
Alas, many throw their trash around.
Some meadows look as if plastic bottles grow on them.
And Mount Vesuvius is somewhat gruesome, but it's still beautiful there.

I walked (and hiked) all over that city many years ago. Yes, there are nasty slums in the bottom regions, but also fine neighborhoods can be found on the tops of city hills, with commanding views of the Gulf of Naples, as well as of Mount Vesuvius to the south. Small shops sell really exquisite cameo jewelry. The food and wine there are excellent.

Christ, I guess I sound like a travel agent shilling an Italian travel holiday… but seriously, what I say is (or was) true: it's a real trip of a city, definitely worth visiting. Bring your camera.

by ZolotoyRetriever October 02, 2022 10:35 AM

I walked (and hiked) all over that city many years ago. Yes, there are nasty slums in the bottom regions, but also fine neighborhoods can be found on the tops of city hills, with commanding views of the Gulf of Naples, as well as of Mount Vesuvius to the south. Small shops sell really exquisite cameo jewelry. The food and wine there are excellent.

Christ, I guess I sound like a travel agent shilling an Italian travel holiday… but seriously, what I say is (or was) true: it's a real trip of a city, definitely worth visiting. Bring your camera.

Yes, you should become a "travel agent".
Very nice description of Naples. ♥
Believe me, I made zillion of photos though not a good hiker (rather took a scooter).
And the Italians are very friendly.
Yah, and the food…fantastic! ♥♥♥♥♥

My favorite memory (I think?) of Naples is how i stopped into this little "hole in the wall" cafe down near the harbor, had a plate of the most delectable (and rich) lasagna *ever*, then proceeded to hike up the aforementioned steep hills (streets) to the upper parts of the city. All that hiking burned off that rich lasagna. I felt great, lol. What a fantastic city. Would love to go back there.

by ZolotoyRetriever October 02, 2022 10:52 AM

My favorite memory (I think?) of Naples is how i stopped into this little "hole in the wall" cafe down near the harbor, had a plate of the most delectable (and rich) lasagna *ever*, then proceeded to hike up the aforementioned steep hills (streets) to the upper parts of the city. All that hiking burned off that rich lasagna. I felt great, lol. What a fantastic city. Would love to go back there.

Yep, Naples is worth more than 2 visits (had been only 2 times there).
You can eat the delicious lasagna again.
Oh, you know their spaghetti certainly also…to die for!
I'll check if there are still so many friendly dogs running around freely. 🐕 ♥ 🐶 ♥ 🐕

I remember walking down in the slum district late at night… you'd run across the occasional empty oil drum being used as a fire pot, with a few random street people gathered 'round, trying to keep warm. Some images never die.

by ZolotoyRetriever (October 02, 2022 11:55 AM)

I remember walking down in the slum district late at night… you'd run across the occasional empty oil drum being used as a fire pot, with a few random street people gathered 'round, trying to keep warm. Some images never die.

That's dangerous!
So I was told…ahem. ☺
You know something, will re-watch that old movie now.
With a big pot of spaghetti!
Ok ok, that's not the real thing but leastwise some Naples' vibes. ♥

yes. i like my beaches better, but those down there had warmer water. prob take a decade to rebuild

And they should probably build back differently, as well.

build back differently
I like your thinking! Only problem is, exactly *how* do you build back differently so as to defeat a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane that may, or may not ever, hit your shores in the next 100 years?

Part of it perhaps is NOT building back where the worst of the flooding could almost certainly happen.

True… too true. But good luck on trying to get everybody to rebuild only far inland, and leave about 4 or 5 miles of coastal area undeveloped. We both know that ain't gonna happen, lol.

Yup. It won't happen.

Naples is a dangerous place to go to. Vesuvius will erupt again and destroy it like Pompeii and Herculaneum.