Politics : Violent rhetoric circulates on the pro-Trump internet following FBI search

Violent rhetoric circulates on the pro-Trump internet following FBI search

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/09/politics/violent-rhetoric-pro-trump-internet-fbi-search/index.html

"Lock and load" was one of the top comments on an online forum dedicated to former President Donald Trump on Monday night, soon after it emerged his Florida Mar-a-Lago resort had been searched by the FBI.

Other posts were more explicit. "I'm just going to say it. [Attorney General Merrick] Garland needs to be assassinated. Simple as that."

Another user posted, "kill all feds."

Users also encouraged others to post the address of the magistrate judge they believe signed off on the search warrant. "I see a rope around his neck," a comment under a picture of the judge read.

On the same forum, researchers previously found talk of violence and discussion on how to attack police officers in the weeks leading up to the January 6, 2021, attack.

Amid the users on the forum Monday night was a convicted US Capitol rioter.

One reply to the top-rated "lock and load" post came from an account with the username bananaguard62 and asked "Are we not in a cold civil war at this point?"

By combing through bananaguard62's posts, Advance Democracy, a non-partisan, non-profit organization that conducts public-interest investigations, identified Tyler Welsh Slaeker as running the account.

Slaeker was charged by the Justice Department last summer in connection with the January 6 attack. Slaeker's in-laws tipped off the FBI about his presence at the Capitol, according to court filings, making him one of the many January 6 rioters who were turned in by family members.

There was a surge in tweets Monday mentioning "civil war" – at some points more than one tweet a second, according to a CNN review of data from Dataminr, a service that tracks Twitter activity. While some mentions of "civil war" came from Trump critics expressing fear what his supporters might do – one researcher posted multiple screenshots of Twitter accounts outright calling for civil war.

Daniel J. Jones, whose group Advance Democracy has been tracking online threats since the FBI raid on Monday, said political leaders posting on their main social media accounts are stoking more violent rhetoric.

"The attack on the Capitol on January 6th showed that we can't ignore calls for political violence online – no matter how fringe the theories are behind those calls for violence," Jones said.

The biography of a federal magistrate judge in Florida, along with their contact information and office address, were removed from the court's website amid the right-wing backlash to the FBI search.

The magistrate judge has been identified by some media outlets as the judge who approved the FBI warrant. CNN has not independently confirmed that this is the judge in question and is not naming him at this time.

Re: Violent rhetoric circulates on the pro-Trump internet following FBI search

It would seem to me that the AG and DOJ have done a poor job managing the public communications around this.

By not communicating why they are doing this and how this is non-political (I assume), they create a vacuum being filled by the Trump mouthbreathers and conspiracy nuts.

It would seem to me that the AG and DOJ have done a poor job managing the public communications around this.

They literally said nothing about it, not even that the raid happened in the first place. That's the way they usually operate and I don't think they should change their standard operating procedure just because this is Trump. We wouldn't know that it happened at all if Trump had not thrown a temper tantrum over it as a means of getting money from his gullible base.

Trump could also tell us exactly what was in the warrant, which by law would be filled with detailed information about why they showed up and what they are after.

They mentioned, "civil war."
LOL!
Those two words were never mentioned since the real one until Turd Lump.
Shows you how divided they are.

I would like to see them try one and those idiots will be in for a shock when the military crushes them like bugs.
They will surrender faster than you can say, "Redneck."
They are so dumb they are not thinking of the reality of that.

How Silly Can You Get? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EumJ3wkg78A

I hear what you are saying, but given Trump this is inherently political and therefore perilous.

Wouldn't hurt for the AG to describe the process and general rationale without getting into the specifics.

OT why do u refuse to watch Better Call Saul again? u are missing out on one of the greatest shows ever produced, and as a TV nut such as urself, that should be bothering u. i'm just saying.

suck it.

Lol. I love BCS. I just don't have AMC, and wait for each season to land on Netflix.

good. just checking. carry on.

suck it.

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana