The Soapbox : Poll: Is “ What exactly happened with Gameboy?” Best thread of 2022?

Re: Is “ What exactly happened with Gameboy?” Best thread of 2022

Wait, are you saying now /. poster is Klam gone rouge? What the hell does rouge have to do with anything here?

I think you are way off now, Sparky. Get some sleep.

My password is password

It was supposed to rogue. Fuck you.

My password is password

Are you not Klam then, like everyone here thinks you are?

Thank you. That concludes this interview.

Ok, Klam. Carry on.

My password is password

The whole safe space private board thing really is pathetic.

Apart from a false sense of protection from the trolling that goes on here, what do they even offer? A sense of privilege? I notice the people who join them are the same people who moan about elitism in their actual lives.

The hypocrisy and idiocy of the average Filmboarder never ceases to amaze me.

Check my block list because you're probably on it.

Re: Is “ What exactly happened with Gameboy?” Best thread of 2022?

i did listen, and i actually agreed with nearly everything you brought up, and still do today. side boards are moronic, but unfortunately there just wasn't much i could have done about it directly at that time. jack's board had already been established and the tribalism that vlad describes above had already set in. any action i took against them would just make me look like the bad guy. that board was already about 90% dedicated to talking shit about me, so upsetting these people even more wouldn't have worked out in my favor.

yes, they were hurting this site, and yes, dividing up a small community into even smaller parts risks killing the entire community, but the only way i saw possible to prevent that potential disaster was ironically to let that board exist, because i knew it would die on its own. any interference i could make was an unnecessary risk. using my authority over my mods to end their board would have angered a lot of users there who i did not have any semblance of authority over, and they would have no doubt just created another board in retaliation. that board i would have no control over and i would have given them a major promoting tool: nimda's a huge asshole.

i also felt allowing their board to fail on its own would serve as a good lesson to those who think they know how to do this job better than i. there are a lot of them out there, believe it or not. if their board failure was due to my interference, they could simply say "it was his fault. let's try again." but if it died on its own then that should be a wake up call. i figured gameboy would be smart enough to say, "ok, we've tried these proboards 10 times now, and they always fail. no point in trying again."

and that was where i screwed up. underestimating gameboy's stupidity was my biggest mistake. jack's board did indeed fail to thrive as predicted, but gameboy didn't learn a single lesson there, he just decided to try the exact same thing all over again. the only difference was this time he actually told me he was making a new board, because he knew i was not happy with him for creating the other one. i just told him it's a dumb idea, it will fail like the rest, and his efforts are better spent on filmboards. then he went and made his board anyway.

i allowed it under one condition: that he doesn't invite users away from here, only those who already posted on jack's board, which he agreed to. this was me trying to be clever. as those of us with any sense know, fracturing communities harms communities, so gameboy creating another board to split the already small userbase of jack's board in half seemed like a great idea to me. and for a while it worked brilliantly. both boards essentially were dead, and i was laughing and laughing as i watched them burn.

gameboy wasn't going to give up though, because he just never does, it just made him desperate. understanding that he was not going to succeed on the current path, he abandoned his stated purpose that his board was trying to help filmboards, always a bizarre premise, and started inviting the users away from here who he promised he would not. someone notified me this was taking place, so i kindly reminded gameboy of the agreement, and he assured me he wouldn't invite any more from here. then he invited more again. and again. and again. he did it about 5 more times until he slipped up on the boards and i found out. we all know what happened after that.

should i have ended these boards from the start? shit-canned gameboy and all the mods? banned anyone who was working to harm this site? at times i sure as fuck wanted to. but i couldn't. even after gameboy stabbed me in the back a few times, i still hesitated to get rid of him. the calculation was that there would be some people who take his side, and it would result in a long drawn out battle that could do long lasting harm to our community. and that is exactly what happened. lately though, things have begun to improve. we lost about 2 years of progress thanks to gameboy's foolishness, but now basically everyone has returned and we're back under one roof. maybe there was a better way to handle all of this, but i'm not sure what it was. i was just doing what i thought was best to keep the community together.

here is my response to your pm from back then, just in case this post wasn't long enough:

first of all, thanks. most people just say they think the site is shit and i'm an idiot, so i always appreciate when someone has something nice to say. let me be nice back and say i love the effort you put into your posts here. some are so brilliant i get jealous, you son of a bitch.

i agree with you that these spinoff boards are really stupid, and now there are spinoffs of the spinoffs, so it just gets even dumber, but i don't really pay attention to them because they don't pose any real threat to this site. no proboard does. they may cannibalize some traffic temporarily, but they all eventually die. every single one. the whole process can actually be helpful, oddly enough. i have spent a lot of time trying to explain to people why i run the site the way i do, but they nearly always think they can do it better. sometimes letting people fail is the only way they will learn. when they inevitably come crawling back, a very public admission that their ideas failed, filmboards gets stronger.

when it comes to the mods, i'm not shocked some are spending time on competing sites because it can be tough for them posting here. we have an environment where trolling is unavoidable, which means the mods are in the line of fire constantly. i figure if letting them have a little safe-space where they can post pics of dogs or whatever the fuck it is they do over there makes them happy, that's fine with me. i think they quickly realize how boring it is and begin to appreciate the policies here more.

jack's board is basically a dead board anyway. it gets next to no activity and even if every member here left at once for there, it still wouldn't last. for any of these boards to succeed among the millions of forums populating the internet, you need something unique to stand out and attract a steady enough flow of new users to grow, and to replace those who go, otherwise you're on a slow decline to death. a proboard on its own has no way to do this, which is why i don't worry about them. you need larger content. we have been working on a couple things in that regard which should help bring in a much bigger audience, and possibly build something resembling the old imdb community. none of these other boards will be able to compete.

Nice meltdown mate

Durrrrr

to have my efforts acknowledged by the meltdown king is truly an honor. thank you, sir.

👍👍👍👍 Lol,the whole board was melting down today.

Durrrrr

I think my advice was sound and, as the course of action you eventually were forced to take, proved itself. You have banned Gameboy and the site has returned to its former glory.

Could either have us known for sure at that time that would be the answer to the problem? Probably not. I admit I was speculating. However, as you point out in your articulate and considered post, you have to strike the right balance between protecting Filmboards and giving your users and staff the freedoms they crave.

You're a good egg, Nimda. Your avatar sucks ass, but as a person you're my kind of people. You have to deal with a ton of crap you shouldn't have to deal with. Your mods really should be setting examples, not giving you another 99% problems. And I know I bitch and moan at you, and my daily PMs entitled "Please ban the following people because they called me names" must be grating on you by now, but I think even though people don't come out and say it all that often, they really are grateful for you hosting this little escapist world.

Each of us just wishes it was bigger, so we all want to see it grow and will at times be keen to offer our thoughts on how that can be achieved. If we were to listen to the internet, there are pills that can help us with this, and in two weeks it could go from four inches to ten. We just need to give them our credit car details.

As a comfortable conservative who has been shamed into feeling guilty for the ease at which I'm riding out this cost of living crisis (by my own ungrateful children no less!), I will PayPal you the cost of one course of Wonder Grow, to get this party started.

Durrrrr

Jesus christ, go outside!

My password is password

Lol

Durrrrr

thank you. i try my best. and sorry about the avatar. it was meant as a joke, just for the record. when ben first came here he was posting some anime stuff, and naturally i made fun of him for it. then for some reason i looked up "anime guy" in google images and made the first result my avatar. i don't even remember what the joke was to be honest. i guess it's that i'm now stuck with an anime avatar forever. i've never actually watched anime.

Why can’t you change it?

I always assumed you were a “weebu” which I think is internet for “anime fan.”

Good talk.

That all makes perfect sense. However, I know your brother will have the skills to change your avatar and so I'm going to ask the board to suggest alternatives.

Lol it’s wild to complain to you about something completely out of your control… just my 2c

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I'm the nicest guy around.

TL/DR - Gameboy is a huge twat.

Team nimda.

The TL;DR version:

Gameboy says he recruited from filmboards once, and apologized before Nimda freaked out.

Nimda says Gameboy got caught once, and kept recruiting multiple times after being caught. Then Nimda freaked out.

Jan loves a good drama!

Damn skippy!

Don't we all!

I (genuinely) appreciated the context, that was enlightening.

I think the only real mistake was allowing Gameboy to remain admin or mod or cabana boy or whatever he was called, because that sent a weird message to those who who stayed or weren't invited.

Particularly given how he would drone on about filmboards being a radical experiment in free speech, and he would protect cryptofnazicraft and Christina. And then lol he didn't rapture up Christina with him! Sent an odd message that by extension became yours.

Nimda should have listened to Con from the GOT board almost 4 years ago.

Con saw this all happening (even if he is a mad racist)

https://filmboards.com/board/p/3233428/1/

My password is password

Isn't that the Steve Lake manifesto?

My password is password

I'm now special forces, phaggot
Salient post. Should've opened with that and said nothing else.

And then lol he didn't rapture up Christina with him!
That was the strangest thing of all, he adored her "genius" and "word salads" but he just didn't want them on his own doorstep.

I always hated that he didn’t invite Christina

It seemed quite cruel, she often talked about it and missed Lilith and Sophie.

missed Lilith and Sophie.
Not sure why. They both still post here.

SHUT UP, YOU WEENIE!

My password is password.

He's a peen, he's always been a peen.

At the time they weren't here so much.

^ This

My password is password.

the hilarious thing is how gamefag claimed that he could bring hordes of ex imbders here if only nimda would let him ban the trolls yet his own board is empty

My password is password

The people who stayed on Filmboards came out in glory. The people who triumphantly left to Gameboy's board and then it failed miserably, which anyone with half a brain could have predicted, came out looking retarded.

My password is password

I'm going to hold out for an October Surprise

Groovy

October. Mmm. My favourite month!

"The King of Cups expects a picnic! But this is not his birthday." ~ Drusilla