Politics : Myth and facts about abortion (in the US)

Myth and facts about abortion (in the US)

Myth: Abortions have extremely high rates of complications.

Reality: Yeah, back alley ones with coat hangers and vacuums and giant doses of random herbs tend to be messy. But Americans from 1973 until, give or take, last week? One of those ‘safe and legal’ procedures gives less than a 0.3% risk of complications that require hospitalization.

The fatality rate of all abortions in the US from 1998 to 2010 is 0.0007%. By comparison, complications from pregnancy in the US have a 0.017% fatality rate.

It’s almost like they’re not pro-life.

Myth: Most women regret abortions.

Reality: A 2018 study supported that the most typical emotional response to an abortion is relief. Only about 6% of patients had mainly negative emotions about the procedure. The vast majority of patients’ did not experience a change of heart about their choice five years out.

Myth: Didn’t Roe (of Roe v. Wade) regret her decision though?

Reality: Nope on two fronts- she didn't get an abortion and she never really became pro-life. A few years ago before her death in 2017, Jane Roe, aka Norma McCorvey, confessed that the pro-life movement threw a small pile of cash at her to publicly bat for their side.

Myth: The pro-life movement has always been a thing.

Reality: Ronald Reagan signed one of the most liberal abortion laws in the country as governor of California in 1967, six years before Roe. Republicans and religious organizations we most commonly think of as abortion opponents saw its legality as providing safe medical care for women. There are quotes in support of abortion from Baptist groups from that era will blow your goddamn mind.

Some Catholic anti-abortion groups had already formed in the sixties. Then through the seventies, the pro-life movement gained steam. The broad coalition of the ‘New Right’ started coming together in large part around propaganda about protecting fetuses.

Myth: Most abortions happen after a baby is a whole viable human.

Reality: 91% of abortions happen in the first trimester when you’d be hard pressed to look at it and differentiate it from a fish fetus. The majority of clinics do not provide late term abortions, and the procedure has different limitations state by state at various points in pregnancy. Virtually without exception, late term abortions are due to the types of health issues that leave pregnant women devastated over a baby that was very much wanted.

Myth: IUDs cause abortions.

Reality: IUDs work by a few different mechanisms of action, one of which involves stopping a fertilized egg from implanting. Pregnancy begins after an egg implants. If you don’t believe me, ask all the people who have been through heartbreaking rounds of IVF and have had fertilized eggs deposited that didn’t implant. They were not pregnant for the few weeks between deposit and negative pregnancy test; they were simply never pregnant. Which is understandable because about half of fertilized eggs just naturally fail to implant.

If God exists, and this is the standard for abortion, God’s one hell of an abortionist.

Myth: The morning after pill causes an abortion.

Reality: The morning after pill is like a megadose of the birth control pill. It’s recommended to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex or birth control failure. Much like an IUD, it can prevent implantation. It can also prevent ovulation. It can’t be an abortifacient because nobody’s pregnant within three days of an “I meant to pull out but then I thought of Helen Mirren.”

Myth: Jesus and the Bible say abortion is a one-way ticket to hell.

Reality: The word abortion isn’t in the Bible, and it’s definitely not in the super-Jesusy chapters. The Bible is kinda ‘eh’ on children as a whole. Hosea 9:14 says “give them a miscarrying womb.” Isaiah 13:18 preaches ‘They shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children.” Numbers 31:17 espouses “Now therefore k!ll every m@le among the little ones.” Which I censored partially because, Jesus Christ, the bible is gonna get me put on a watch list.

To get all this fact checking because, let’s face it, someone has to do it, head to patreon.com/scibabe.

Sources for your next internet argument:

Women do not regret abortions: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/12/health/women-abortion-emotion-study/index.html
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277953619306999

What the bible says about abortion: https://ffrf.org/component/k2/item/26087-abortion-nontract

Abortion fatality rate: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4554338/

Abortion hospitalization rate: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270651008_Incidence_of_Emergency_Department_Visits_and_Complications_After_Abortion

Additional info on abortion complications: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/ss/ss6811a1.htm

Unsafe (i.e. illegal) abortion data: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709326/

Preventing unsafe abortion: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/abortion

Jane Roe was not pro-life/origins of pro-life movement: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/fx-s-jane-roe-deathbed-confession-reveals-abortion-lie-heart-ncna1214381

Reagan legalizes abortion: https://todayinclh.com/?event=governor-reagan-signs-liberal-california-abortion-law

Barry Goldwater’s pro-choice early career: https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/barry-morris-goldwater-1909-1998

Half of fertilized eggs don’t implant: https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2005/05/implications-defining-when-woman-pregnant

Fatalities due to pregnancy: https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-brief-report/2020/dec/maternal-mortality-united-states-primer

History of the pro-life movement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_anti-abortion_movement

Re: Myth and facts about abortion (in the US)

You think I educate myself before bringing my opinions to the table? Fuck you.

My password is password

Myth: Womens just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE murdering their babies…
….according to one or two crackpot antichoicers on here.

Reality: It's not as if they regret their decision, (See above) but it's not like they are celebrating the death of the fetus the way Charles Manson and his family celebrated their murder sprees.

I seriously doubt there are any women that take any amount of delight in getting an abortion.

Dairy is rape.
Milk has pus.
Go vegan.

👍👍👍 Very true, all of that.

Thanx.

And you bring up some great arguments as well.

I am so on board on you with this.

It has been explained to me before and I will just never understand why the anti choicers are not pro birth control because bc will prevent abortions.

Dairy is rape.
Milk has pus.
Go vegan.

And thanks. I just thought this board needed a little more background information, that goes beyond "muh abortion is murdering babies" or "my body my choice". We hear that way too often already.

I'm not here trying to convince anyone tho. Everyone has made up their minds already anyway, but a little education won't hurt nobody either.

Education gives me the "brain pain". I steer clear uv it.

That's fair enough.

The fatality rate of all abortions in the US from 1998 to 2010 is 0.0007%.

Abortion ends a human life. I couldn't find stats on how many actually survive abortion attempts but it is rare. So, seeing as how abortion has a near 100% fatality rate and seeing as how you couldn't make even your first point without lying I doubt the rest of your drivel is worth examining.

If you wish to share your opinion write it down on a piece of paper. Then I can at least wipe my ass with it. Aside from that it has no use.

Do you prefer to be called Soul_Vermin or Cuck_Venom? Fuck your mother, Cuck_Vermin.

My password is password

If you wish to share your opinion write it down on a piece of paper. Then I can at least wipe my ass with it. Aside from that it has no use.

What do Leftists have to do with my question?

My password is password

Are you doing that thing cryptoflovecraft does where you post a bunch of anti-Trump (or anti-Liberal in your case) memes in response to everyone that thinks you're a dipshit? You're mistaken if you think you're attacking me in any way with that nonsense.

By the way, you might find it interesting to know the person in that photo is shown looking around for the camera a few seconds before spotting it and then going into that performance.

You're showing me Trump supporters, for some reason.

My password is password

Your real mug:

My password is password

My password is password

I couldn't find stats on how many actually survive abortion attempts but it is rare.

Way to tell me that those stats don't really exist. Duly noted, humpy dumpy.

Abortion ends a human life.
NO ONE has a right to life, and just living as a sentient human proves this. ANYTHING can happen to ANYONE at ANYTIME.

Many people, such as yourself, would have better off been aborted since they are such phony and ignorant A Holes, especially concerning the private affairs of other's lives. What a nosy, creepy Peeping Tom you are. GFY!

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Well said.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! 😎 Slava Ukraini! 😋 Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

My password is password

Since there is no right to abortion in the Constitution, it's up to the states.

That's how it works.

Most states will keep abortion legal.

I just don't want American taxpayers to foot any part of the bill.

And yet you have no problem seeing that money go to bullets and bombs that will end up murdering children.
You are such a troll.

So glad you have me on block so I can show the board just how full of shit you are with no argument back from you being such a chickenshit crackpot!

Dairy is rape.
Milk has pus.
Go vegan.

You would rather taxes go to pay for more "welfare mothers," foster homes, and children's homes/orphanages?

An aspect of women's bodies and women's health should not be "up to the states." That should be up to women. A handful of morons who don't think women are smart enough to make their own decisions are now making decisions for them. How does that make sense to anyone with a working brain?

Yes. I would rather that happen.

I would also appreciate liberals behaving civilly.

That would be a refreshing change.

Right now, they are committing insurrection against one of the three branches of the government.

Right now, they are committing insurrection against one of the three branches of the government.
Government does not hold power over what happens in a person's BEDROOM and a woman's womb. There is nothing in the constitution about this either.

Yeah, that's gonna happen.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! 😎 Slava Ukraini! 😋 Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

suck it.

The fatality rate of all abortions in the US from 1998 to 2010 is 0.0007%.

The fatality rate of all abortions is actually 100%. Let that sink in.

A 2018 study supported that the most typical emotional response to an abortion is relief.

Now let's do a study on how many imprisoned serial killers regret their abortions. I mean, murders. What's the reasoning here? If none regret it, let's keep it legal?

Reality: 91% of abortions happen in the first trimester when you’d be hard pressed to look at it and differentiate it from a fish fetus.

Then you should be pleased to know that even in the RED states - where abortion is banned or ban pending - the ban on abortion actually occurs after 8 weeks or in some states 24 weeks.

No anti-abortion state has a ban that begins immediately after conception.

So, the first trimester abortions are already allowed, and that's in the RED states. To disagree with a ban henceforth would suggest you support the choice for abortion after the first trimester.

The word abortion isn’t in the Bible, and it’s definitely not in the super-Jesusy chapters.

Not that what the Bible says is relevant, but this is covered under "Thou shalt not kill." It says, you know, that we shouldn't kill people.

It's buffoonery to say the Bible doesn't say the word "abortion." It also doesn't say "colonoscopy." It doesn't mention Sanford and Son, either. Gather your thoughts as to why that is, my genius friend.

Deut. 27:25 cursed be he that taketh reward to slay an innocent person…

Psalm 10:8 in the secret places doeth he murder the innocent…Psalm 106:38

And shed innocent blood, even blood of their sons and of their daughters,/; and polluted the land with blood. Proverbs 6:16, 17…

These six things doeth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood. Isaiah 59:7

Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood… Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place/ and have filled this place with the blood of the innocents. Jeremiah 19:4

I Was Just Looking For Someone Who Could See What I See, Feel What I Feel.

Re: Myth and facts about abortion (in the US)…

🙏 👍

"THAT'S SOME BAD SHIT, HARRY!".

Dude, fuck the bible lmfao

My password is password

Studies/Stats are not reflective of the WHOLE picture, you frickin' moron!

You cannot claim a fatality rate of an un-birthed, un-sentient blob that is inconsequential to human life as we know it. You CANNOT control birthed living either and the CONSTANT fatality rate of what it means to be a human being.

There are many reasons one may kill another for and abortion is a completely different dynamic, creep!

You cannot claim a fatality rate of an un-birthed, un-sentient blob that is inconsequential to human life as we know it.

Why not?

There are many reasons one may kill another for and abortion is a completely different dynamic, creep!

How so?

Because it is not a human fatality. It is not breathing the earth's atmosphere to make it a sentient being and besides, why do you even care and for what reason phony?

How so?
For the same reason I just listed above. Go and get some education and insight and stop attempting to control other's lives. There are far too many people on this planet as it is and it is not getting addressed.

A foetus is a human and it's death is a fatality so therefore it's quite literally a human fatality. Factually. That's not the viewpoint. That's reality. The debate is over one side saying "who cares."

sentient being

It grows into one if you leave it alone, and that's more than enough. It's the early stages of human development.

If Marty McFly's mother was heading to the abortion clinic, he would have slowly began to vanish in the photograph just the same.

What don't people get about this? Whether a person has an abortion when the fetus is 6 weeks old, versus the same baby dying in a fatal car crash at 2 years old, the same person has died, one just much earlier.

That same genetic amalgamation that formed that human, what he/she will look like, can never be created again no matter how early the mother gets an abortion.
Why is this hard to understand?

Moron! A sentient being is one that is developing its life outside of the womb, AFTER it has been birthed. Talking of afterbirth and your own state of being, well enough said here….

The longer the pregnancy gestates, the better chance the fetus has surviving outside of the womb, but this is not the point. Most women would know by the first few months if they want to keep the baby growing inside of them.

There is NO science to support your claim that the fetus is an "actual" person/human.

Don't you care about any other health consequences that could affect the pregnant mother, whose life CAME first and she may need to abort to save her own?

That you use Back To The Future as a example of life vanishing, shows how retarded and inane you really are….

That you use Back To The Future as a example of life vanishing, shows how retarded and inane you really are….

That's a cop out. Don't do the "it's fictional" thing. Are you saying he wouldn't vanish in the photograph? Yes or no.

There is NO science to support your claim that the fetus is an "actual" person/human.

An inanimate object cannot became animate and a species cannot change into another species.

So yes, it is a scientific fact that a fetus is a human.

Whether it is a "person" with "alienable rights" a whole other debate. But scientifically, it's species is human.

Pro-choicers make things up when the fetus is viable and personhood is achieved. Third trimester? 8 weeks? It's a debate. If you don't know, err on the side of caution. It's better to be wrong the other direction.

Don't you care about any other health consequences that could affect the pregnant mother, whose life CAME first and she may need to abort to save her own?

whose life CAME first

So you do acknowledge that a fetus is a life. Before, it wasn't. Now you've changed your position that a human coming FIRST gives it priority over subsequent life - thus, older brothers have a priority over younger siblings, grandparents have priority over parents. They came first.

If you don't know, err on the side of caution. It's better to be wrong the other direction.

There is no such thing as being "wrong" on issues that are purely political and social by nature.

For the vast majority of history and for the vast majority of human societies, abortion has been regarded as a perfectly acceptable, normal, and necessary medical procedure. The burden is on weirdo's like you to show why we should change our minds.

You're doing an awful job of it.

An inanimate object cannot became animate and a species cannot change into another species.

Apparently you have never heard of evolution.

It is a time travel movie and since science doesn't really know how it would work absolutely, this was a fantasy element of the film, and you are projecting a fantasy element of your simple little mind.

A fetus is a forming species that in some cases, don't get to be human, (yet for some dumb and phony reason, you think they should), and it is not relevant, nor is it consequential to your own life. Why do you think that it is?

Most rights come with responsibility. A fetus has zilch responsibility and it is also hosting of the mother if it is to survive full term. That you think you can take ownership of a woman's life and tell her what to do with it says so much more about your control issues and your absolute moronic ignorance. Go and live in the Middle East. Their laws regarding females will suit you down to a tee.

The life of the mother, is already a living and breathing one. Her being is not part of, or reliant on the womb of her own mother for survival. You are just mincing and conflating the term "life", when a "potential" human life doesn't make it. So what? It doesn't affect you.

You don't even care about the life after the fact, that is just your fallacious game to make a false, flawed and deceptive argument.