Rock : The definition of "rock"

The definition of "rock"

So, what I want with this is to find out wich band you consider to be the definition of rock, not the best band, let me explain: Imagine you were talking to someone and for some reason you want to show him with one band what rock means to you.
Just one band.

Re: The definition of "rock"

Deep Purple

--- each brain develops its own preferences ---

Iron Maiden

Elvis Presley

RIP
Dimebag Darrell
1966-2004

Many would argue Chuck Berry would be more appropriate, but yeah if just one, probably Elvis.

Re: The definition of 'rock'

Chuck Berry is a great guitarist/songwriter, but other than that, I'll take Elvis over him any day

For the description of "Rock" (as opposed to "Rock-N-Roll," or with no prefix such as "Southern Rock") I might go with AC/DC. It's basic, blues-based, high energy, hard rock that doesn't seem to be too much of any sub-genre or doesn't take itself too serious.

And I like it.

I'd also nominate:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Pantera
Metallica

FLUTTERCORD

The Ramones. Punk? Nah. Definitely rock.

Nay - Punk Rawk?

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Metallica?
Those are all heavy metal. Technically still rock music, but I'm referring to a style more like Hard Rock and something close. I give you Priest and maybe a Maiden, but Pantera and Metallica?

My own opinion (for those wondering): The Who.
These guys were genius in Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Progressive Rock, the three best subgenres in rock music.

I'd also throw in The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Who as the definition of Rock.

No can do. What "rock" means to me cannot be encapsulated with just one band. The closest I could come would be Elvis Presley because he suggested what rock was when it began and what it could become. But as someone noted elsewhere, a damn good case could be made for Chuck Berry.

------------------
"Here is the ice you ordered, Mr. Ismay." – Titanic Captain E.J. Smith

So like you say, this is not my favorite band or maybe even the best band.
But the definition of rock is one of the earlier greats, like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Any band that loved spreading their rock n roll to audiences that much. And not only that, they were having a blast with what they were doing. One song at a live show of Floyd's could go on for 12 minutes when on an album it was a mere 4 to 6. That's because they got sucked into their own world, they loved what they were creating, and the true fans of rock loved it to.

The day Chuck Norris dies is the day the world ends.

I know. I was watching Alice Cooper at Wacken and he, surprisingly, launched in to Break On Through by the Doors. The answer is OPENING RIFFS.

Re: The definition of rock

rock¹, noun. 1. Solid part of earth's crust underlying soil; mass of this projecting and forming a hill, cliff, etc., or standing up into or out of sea etc. from bottom. 2. Stone as a substance; large detached stone, boulder.
rock², noun. Distaff.
rock³, noun. (Also rock and roll) (dancing to) kind of swing music.

The Concise Oxford Dictionary Fifth edition (1964)

So, The Rolling Stones.

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations" Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Beatles

Re: The definition of 'rock'

They Might Be Giants

Led Zeppelin

'Live Music Is Better' bumper stickers should be issued

I liked your question a lot and therefore added it at IMDF
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-definition-of-rock-say-with-one-band-what-rock-means-to-you.362/

--- each brain develops its own preferences ---