Mickey Rooney : WHAT THE F??

WHAT THE F??

His estate was valued at $18,000. Is that a joke!!!???? he was that poor?

Re: WHAT THE F??

That does seem so incredulous doesn't it? If true, this sort of thing seems to have happened more often to stars we think of as "legends" who began their careers as children. In Mickey's case, I'm sure his multiple divorces took quite a chunk. Take a look (listed here on IMDb) at the run-down of what he got paid for some of his work...it's often fascinating to me to realize how little some of them were paid.

Yeah, I think it was his marriages that broke him. He was in my area (Poconos) in the past year or so working at a resort. It said in the newspaper how if you wanted to meet him, all you had to do was go to the golf course and I thought 'damn! he's in his 90's and he's still playing golf?!'.

"The ice is gonna break!" (Johnny--The Dead Zone)

What kind of work was he doing at the golf course?

For what it's worth, I heard a discussion on the radio today about his $18,000 estate. They were basing their comments on some official information.

They said one or two sons-in-law (or maybe it was stepsons) had mismanaged his estate, said to be in the millions. His will, revised just days ago, left everything to another son-in-law and his wife and Rooney's own wife. His kids get nothing, supposedly because they are all already well-off and don't need the money. The beneficiaries of his will have been taking care of his business concerns during the last few years and have been acting as his managers, so he felt they deserved what little was left.

A lawsuit against those stepsons/sons-in-law has been in progress to get back some of the millions he had lost, but now it's doubtful any money will ever be reclaimed. Rooney trusted his manager, who convinced him he was destitute and could not turn down any chances to work lest he lose everything and his medical benefits. Probably none of his own doing, Rooney also was delinquent on his taxes and couldn't afford to pay what he owed.

It's a fascinating ending to a wonderful career, though not the happier one we fans would like to have happened. If I'm wrong, I hope more information will be posted here to correct me.

"All necessary truth is its own evidence." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I read most of what you have said from Mickey's bio here on IMDb but I thought that it said he left everything not to a son-in-law but to one of his step-sons and that man's wife (who he had been living with for a time). In terms of his finalized divorce with his most recent wife, she receives his social-security and pension. Bio info has been known to be inaccurate so I take a lot of what I read with a grain of salt.
I hope he worked up until the end, not out of fear but because he wanted to.
Unrelated from this post, I put out a post asking if anybody knew if Mickey had siblings (none are mentioned in his bio on this site). Back in the early '80s I met a gentleman who was introduced to me as his brother and although I can't 1c84 remember his first name, his last was Yule....which is Mickey's real last name as well.
I so agree with what you said, it is a fascinating end to a wonderful career.

Yeah, these bigger than life people seem destined to have such complications. Their lives are just too complex for them not to happen.

Your version of what all is going on after his death is probably more accurate than mine. I was driving through town when I heard it and never expected that I'd later have to repeat it, so I didn't retain the info as I should have.

I don't know about his siblings. All I know about his kids is that he had a son who was a Mouseketeer for a short time in the fifties. He's remembered as a prankster who got fired from the show after he mixed together several colors of paint being used to paint the sets. These were said to be specially blended colors, so it was a very big deal to Disney.

That of course suggests he had at least one kid interested in a show business career (unless his dad was forcing him into it) but never got anywhere.

"All necessary truth is its own evidence." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I read that one stepson and his wife are largely responsible for "stealing" from him and mismananaging estate. That probably had something to do with Mickey and his wife of 37 years seperating.
The son in law and wife are barred from attending private services and any public tribute but his estranged wife is not.

His emotional testimony on elder abuse is on youtube. I can't bring myself to watch it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ikKP5-s5A

Brad...Whatcha gonna do? What are you gonna do?

What kind of work was he doing at the golf course?

He was entertaining at Mount Airy Resort. http://tinyurl.com/npmozok They have a golf course.

"The ice is gonna break!" (Johnny--The Dead Zone)

Actually Mickey Rooney was smart to spend and give away his money BEFORE he died! Why leave a huge estate? The government takes income taxes when you earn the money, then takes another chunk when you die! Muhammad Ali's heirs will have to pay millions in "death taxes"!! The IRS is out of control, as is the the whole government! National debt has tripled in the last fifteen years!