Mickey Rooney : Not going to miss him

Not going to miss him

It's really sad that Mickey Rooney has died. However, I was always very offended by his insensitive representation of Asian people. He was incredibly racist towards those of asian descent. I never found the yellow face to be funny

Re: Not going to miss him

Has he done that recently? That seems more like something that happened under the studio contract era, when he wouldn't have a 5b4 ny input.

Yes, but apparently MrPink can't process anything that's not in black-and-white (or yellow-and-white, in this case).

He made 200 movies and your offend over one small role! Get over yourself Mickey Rooney was a legendary star,A talented man and kept working till his end ..He got three movie credits for 2o14 ...

What ever happened to forgiveness in our society? There is a difference between insensitivity vs a malicious act, and I don't think there was anything malicious in what Rooney or the director did. To judge one mans career and even his entire life base on one performance seems grossly unfair.

Lol yeah, but no one forgives Mel Gibson. But yea, I first saw Mickey in a Disney movie called Phantom of the Megaplex. He was such a sweet guy in that movie. But then I found out he played An asain sterotype in breakfeast at Tiffany's. at first I didn't like it(still dont) but I honestly don't blame him, but the studios and etc. still an absolute sweet guy.

you find it "really sad" that a 93 year old man whom you personally don't know from Adam has died ? you were"very offended" by a movie role he did donkeys years ago ? wow, you really have your priorities right ! get over it and be offended by something that really matters, shed tears for someone you really mourn...

My theory is the OP is pretending to be offended by something he probably wasn't even aware of before yesterday. RIP Mickey Rooney.

How can you expend the energy/time needed to harang a man over dialouge which taken in context to the era in which it was filmed,was quite benign compared with others.At the time our countries were at war.Asian enemies were reknowned for Inhumane treatment of prisoners.Did ever listen to any of Tokyo Roses broadcasts?
Slow ya roll and get off your high horse.
Our country has just lost a national treasure-who's talent will not be duplicated...

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Get over it. He was an old ass man. Many old actors I like did black face at one time or another and said something racist. I considered the times and moved on.

Actors are mere products of a good writer's imagination

Post deleted

Mr. Yunioshi was hilarious. A lot of 'modern' people just can't handle the no holds barred racial comedy of the earlier eras, or it's performers from a time when the public wasn't so hung up on 'color blindness' and minimizing what makes a minority a minority. Even performers like Al Jolson - who was famous for his blackface routine, get a bad rap from uneducated modern audiences. Even though in reality, Jolson was a champion of black performers way before it was cool.

" Cristal, Beluga, Wolfgang Puck... It's a f#@k house."

During that time old WW2 mentalities were still running wild, people still were likely raw on the fact they had relatives who had died at t 111c he hands of the Japanese. Does it make it right? No, I think most people in recent years would have felt the same way as they would have back when Breakfast at Tifany's was made.

I don't know how anyone connected with Breakfast at Tiffany's, least of all the director and producers, could put up with such a travesty.

He was playing a role in a film (one film), he didn't write or di 111c rect the film and he expressed regret over that portrayal. Give the man a break.

And John Wayne abysmally played Genghis Khan too. Get over it.

Get the facts first - you can distort them later!

I know this thread is sort of old, but this movie was on last night & the thought came t 2000 o mind (subject) when I saw Rooney's character. I've got a small percentage of Asian in the bloodline (Japanese great grandmother as a matter of fact), and Mexican American. Which brings me to the cartoon Speedy Gonzales, a mouse with an overly exaggerated Spanish accent & his fellow mice depicted as fat, drunk & lazy. Cartoon Network decided to ban showing these episodes a while back - because it depicted unfair and untrue stereotypes about Mexicans. But because of opposition - mostly by the Hispanic community, the network brought it back (aired less though) and slaps a disclaimer before it comes on:

The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were false then and are still false today. While the following does not represent the WB view of society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as to claim these prejudices never existed.

And this is how I see this applying to Mickey Rooney (whom I loved watching growing up nonetheless) & his portrayal of that character. It was the past, and history is what it is. Like one of the poster's stated - Even he & the Director regretted it. Watching Speedy Gonzales never really bothered me much either - the fellow mice, a little, but if your Latino, you just don't focus or dwell on it much.

For that, let it go.

Post deleted