Mickey Rooney : Why no Kennedy Center Honor or AFI tribute?

Why no Kennedy Center Honor or AFI tribute?

Anybody know why he seems to have been snubbed for those lifetime achiement awards? Eighty-seven(?) years in show biz and still working steadily. Also, probably one of few (if not alone) who has paid maximum amount each year into social security since its inception in the late 30's (all from earned income).
Nominated for 4 oscars, along with an honory one in 1983. Box office champ for several years in late 30's and early 40's.

Re: Why no Kennedy Center Honor or AFI tribute?

He's certainly well-deserving of both. Keep in mind there is a long list of "super stars" not yet honored by the Kennedy Center. Dick Van Dyke, Doris Day, Jerry Lewis, and Liza Minnelli, just to name a few. It is rumored that Doris Day was offered the award but refuses to travel to receive it in person, which is a requirement.

Mickey should be at the top of the list based on his age alone.

I don't think I want to go to the pictures. Oh?Why not? I've seen everything worth seeing.

It's very well-known that Mickey is intensely disliked in Hollywood circles. He is extremely arrogant and always want to steer the conversation to himself and his own accomplishments. It just rubs people the wrong way. I think this is the main reason he's just ignored and even shunned by those recommending awards.

I am a Rooney fan and overlook his foibles, but many people don't. When Robert Osborne even badmouths him (and the interview they did together), then you know something's wrong.

I didn't know that. I'm a big Robert Osborne fan as well as a Mickey Rooney fan. TCM is showing a bunch of Andy Hardy films today and I just realized he'll be 100 in 2020. People can say what they will but few have a resume like his.

Leading the blind squirrels of inquiry to the lost nuts of illumination.

One of the most disliked stars in Hollywood. That is why he has been and will always be overlooked for those special honors.

You're all overlooking another potent, sad truth: Rooney, as great a
star as he was, as great a talent as he remains, didn't make a habit of
appearing in GREAT movies. Many are fair (including those with Garland),
two or three are wonderful ("National Velvet", "The Human Comedy"), but
most were of their time and haven't aged well as classics. Bogey and
Cagney and, especially, Brando, may not have made as many films as
Rooney, but they made far better ones. It's quality, not quantity.

Boys Town was a fantastic movie. He was great in that one as well! Plus, he saved an entire movie studio with his films. The man deserves to be honored!

Go shake down the 7-11 for a day old wiener. Melvin- As Good as it Gets

And don't forget "Captains Courageous"! That one's in my Top Ten Favs!

I live in Ft Lauderdale, and back in the 80's I was riding my bike down to the beach and passed by a little old man walking his dog. I immediately recognized it was The Mick! So I spun around and passed him again. All I said was "Hi, Mr Rooney", and he replied. I always leave celebrities alone.

It's quality, not quantity.
Oh, yeah, like Meryl Streep never appeared in a clunker. Come on!

Oh, and don't forget Requiem for a Heavyweight.

I'll add that Rooney had relatively few leading roles after he turned 40, and most of those were completely forgettable; in the last half of his career, The Black Stallion and the TV movie Bill (and 16d0 its sequel) stand out as the rare big successes in which he had a leading role. The major career awards tend to go to longtime lead actors in feature films, and Rooney's prime run in that area was when he was in his teens and twenties.

Gary Krause

Rooney has made far more enemies than friends in Hollywood. And pissed off the wrong people...

And, as I wrote, made very, very few great films in his roughly 80 years
in the movie business. And I'm a fan.

If that's true, and it very well might be, then how has he (or his agent) been able to convince producers/casting of 20 films since 2007,released and in production, to employ him?

Rooney is not blacklisted from employment just the honors that usually accompany a Actor of his age and extensive career.

Arrogant or not, every comparative upstart in Hollywood who thinks they're a big cheese should be sucking Mickey Rooney's balls. Because every person holding out on him with the achievement awards was just a seed in their daddy's nut sack when he was winning his Oscars.

The fact that he doesn't get awards just because some people don't like his attitude goes to show what a load of butt kissing, political back scratching crap the Hollywood award system is. Even the worst movie Mickey has ever been in, is better than the garbage they give out compulsory Oscars for every year today.

" Cristal, Beluga, Wolfgang Puck... It's a f#@k house."

@LateNightCable - ^This!

~"Chris, am I weird?"
~"Yeah, but so what? Everybody's weird."

At present he has two movies completed and one in production. For a 92 year old actor that is hardly "blacklisted".

I'm watching him on TCM right now, in "Young Tom Edison." There was almost no finer actor in the Golden Age than Mickey Rooney. I would like to think that he has survived most of the people he pissed off over the years. At a minimum, he deserves Kennedy Center honors.

Yeah, but how good are those films? Hardly classics. And most of the other ones he was in weren't all t 5b4 hat great. He was the top male box office attraction for several years in the late '30s, but that's largely because audiences back then liked musicals and simple, feel-good family fare more than they do today. More sophisticated, modern audiences don't feel the same way.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I wasn't referring to his performances; I was referring to most of his films' not being classics. He was in a couple of classics, a few other good ones, and many lesser films. Some of the better ones include A Midsummer Night's Dream, Captains Courageous, Boys Town, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Young Tom Edison, The Human Comedy, National Velvet, and Requiem for a Heavyweight.

On TV, The Mickey Rooney Show folded after its first season (33 episodes); the eponymous show Mickey folded after only 17 episodes. He spent most of the rest of his time toiling away as a guest/supporting player in countless TV shows.

Yes, he was multi-talented, but more than a few critics have rightly called many of his performances a bit too broad and, occasionally, overacted. Personally, I'd much prefer to see Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, James Stewart, Clark Gable, John Garfield and a whole raft of other actors from that era. Their performances are usually more nuanced and not so over the top.

I suppose if they want to give him a "longevity" award, that would be fine. But personality/temperament does matter in Hollywood. And Tinseltown doesn't like people who wear their ego on their sleeve. If he had been a bit more humble, he might have gotten some nice lifetime achievement awards.

And I'm aware of Grant's generous comment about Rooney at that time. But except for a nice run in some good films for a few years, his career is not really outstanding, unless one happens to like his somewhat frenetic style.

Perhaps a few more inches in stature would have helped to quell the Mickster's mouse complex, thus knocking his little bitty ego right off his sleeve.

A much happier (Yule) log under Mickey's Mantle! Yes?

Probably true. At 5'2" he was probably shorter than all eight of his wives. And since none of those marriages lasted, I think we can assume that Mr. Rooney is not the easiest person to be around. And I think Hollywood knows that.

Post deleted

Post deleted

Now that he is retired being disliked by Hollyweird might not be such a bad thing!

On TV, The Mickey Rooney Show folded after its first season (33 episodes); the eponymous show Mickey folded after only 17 episodes. He spent most of the rest of his time toiling away as a guest/supporting player in countless TV shows.

a lot of actors did that, after the golden age of the big screen...

everyone and anyone started to have their own tv show, some made it, some didn't...hmmm just like today...

and if they got a tv show that was a hit, it barely happened after wards.....all they'd do is tv guest apperances...so...

why should he be any different....he had his Hollywood hey day....

susan

I mean some went onto the little screen.....but a lot didn't.....

a lot of actors did that, after the golden age of the big screen...

Exactly. And that's why I said that Rooney isn't special in that regard, and didn't get much acclaim.

By the way, when you paste a passage from another poster's message, it's a good idea to highlight the text and hit the "Quote" button on the editing toolbar. That will give the quoted passage a dark gray background and indent it. It just makes it clearer as to who said what, especially when the message you're replying to is fairly far above yours in the thread.

It is better to be kind than to be clever or good looking. -- Derek