Mickey Rooney : longest career?

Re: longest career?

Rose Marie has been working since 1926.

Johnny Carson 1925-2005. We will never forget you.

Also,

Bob Hope (1925-2001) 76 years
Gloria Stuart (1932-2004) 72 years
Tony Martin (1934-now) 75 years

Johnny b68 Carson 1925-2005. We will never forget you.

Gloria Stuart, as great as she was, took a break of almost 30 years, so her career did not span 72 years.

Bob Hope, past 1972 took couple breaks between 5 and 6 years in lenght, and he didn't start acting until 1934, not 1925. So he did not have a career spanning 76 years.

Tony Martin, after 1962, took off the remainder of the 60's and all of the 70's, making his last appearance in 1982. Also, he didn't start acting util 1935. And 1935-1962 is 27 years. If you want to be generous and say his career spanned 1935-1982, that's still only 45 years, not 75.

Again, this is not to diminish the work of any of them, just pointing out some errors. Thanks.

Also, I wanted to point out that I was not taking any vaudville or stage acting into consideration. Mickey Rooney holds the record, 85 years, for the longest career in film history, so it is not fair to take other actor's vaudville or stage acting experience into consideration when comparing their acting careers to Mickey Rooney's. Again, this is not to dimish the work of any actor or actress - vaudville, stage acting, movies, or otherwise. Just making a point.

With a film coming out this year I believe he's the only actor to appear in 10 decades of films: the 20's, 30's 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80',s 90's, 00's, and now the 10's !!

Lilian Gish appeared in movies from 1912 to 1987 (according to imdb) which is 86 years. (1987-1912 is 85 plus the first year is 86)

Mickey Rooney appeared in his first movie in 1926... which means 1926 to 2011 is... 86 years.

So if he makes it into a movie in 2012, he'll fully surpass lilian gish.

Edit: Whoops. I'm an idiot. 1987-1912 is 76 years. Not 86. Mickey Rooney has by far the longest career.

I'm loving this thread. I'm finding it a wealth of information about Hollywood history.

Anybody want a peanut ?

- Fezzik, " The Princess Bride " ( 1987 )

i agree, i think he's got the longest one so far. yes there are silent actors & actress's still alive but not many of them still acted they either quit after awhile or were forced to quit. when the sound came in i mean.

& there have been actor/actress who have pretty long careers themselves. but i think since Mickey has been acting in films anways, since (1926) that's now 85 years. & i think that's a record. there were in the past others who worked for 80 years. but he's long since beat that.

people say that "Christopher Lee' has the most films when i don't think he does. hell Oliver hardy i think has beat him by far. & i don't think he'll beat mickey by how many years he's been acting either. since he's going on 89 this year. & to beat him he'll have to live more than 20 more years. though he's done films pretty much almost every year just like mickey has.

well it's 2 years since my last post and it's now 87 years for movies. and if you count vauldiville it's 93 years. he was 2 years old when in short 18 months old when he 1st saw the stage. and he was 2 years old when he started performing. so that's 91 years. by far beating anyone in history. well that i know of anyways

Well, according to the trivia section here on IMDB he has in fact had the second-longest film career---but coming in at number two is pretty darn impressive:

With movie appearances stretching from 1926 to 2013, totaling 86 years, his is the second longest career in cinema history, surpassing Lillian Gish, whose career spanned the years from 1912 to 1987, or 75 years, but one year less than Carla Laemmle, whose career began in 1925, and has credited roles for 2011 and 2012 at age 103. He has appeared in films in ten consecutive decades: 1920s-2010s.

I wouldn't exactly describe Carla Laemmle's body of work a "career"...Rooney worked his ass off for almost 90 years continually, Laemmle was niece of the boss who got a few cameos...

Well, I'm just quoting the IMDB trivia, but yes, I think it would be fair to say that Rooney had the longest film career in spirit (if not by the actual letter) of anyone in history up to this point. Will anyone ever surpass his record?

well he might tie or top her since he has a couple of more movies that were already filmed, right?

Ah, now that's a good question. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is listed as being in production right now, but did he actually film anything for that picture before his death?

That is a very good List you have put together.
As you have put in foreigners, can I add Ashalata Wabgaonkar witha career length of 94years and still going? Also, Rosa Rioshould be on the List but IMDb doesn't have all her work in the site but she was also working for over 90years.