Mickey Rooney : longest career?

longest career?

with his first film in 1926 to his latest in 2006, has anyone else had a longer film career?

Re: longest career?

No. This last year his career became the longest in motion picture history.

"I was plumb horn swoggled.By the time I got back to my car a plumber swoggled my horn." Bob Hope

wow... that's a really huge achievement! 81 years in the movie business.. just think of everything he has seen, done, experienced, lived through.. he must've lived a very rich life, and he's still going on! I think that's simply amazing. standing applause from me!

~I Don't care if you don't want me, I'm your's, I'm your's... right now~

And he is not through. Mr. Rooney has a brand new movie coming out soon. It's right now in Post-production. It's called "Bamboo Shark" and from what I have heard it's going to be great!

"I was plumb horn swoggled.By the time I got back to my car a plumber swoggled my horn." Bob Hope

And since he is small his heart doesn't have to work very hard so he could very well make it to 100.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

He was a Vaudeville actor before appearing in movies when he was still in diapers, basically.

Post deleted

I was being serious.

Post deleted

Mickey Rooney
Lillian Gish
Jackie Coogan
Jackie Cooper
Katherine Hepburn
If she makes anything else, Elizabeth Taylor

Anyone else with a 60+ year career?

Johannes Heesters is over 103 years old and has been acting since 1924. He hasn` 5b4 t made that many movies, but still is a stage actor ever since his first stage appereance in around 1920. He is Dutch, but moved to Germany over 60 years ago.

and Christopher Lee could celebrate his 60 year career next year. He started acting, back in 1948! As of today he has more than 225 movie credits to his name.

Post deleted

Milton Berle first appeared in film in 1914 as a child, and his last acting role in a movie was in 1991.He also acted in a TV film in 2000. If you include the TV movie thats a span of 86 years. Also if you include movies where he appeared as himself he was in at least one film each decade for 10 consectutive decades(including the TV movie). I don't think anyone else has achieved that.

George Burns had a 65 year movie career, Helen Hayes had a nearly 70 year long career (counting TV movies), Angelo Rositto had a 60 year movie career, German actor Curt Bois had a 80 year long career, and Sir John Gielgud's movie career lasted 75 years.

Charles Lane,who at 102 is the oldest living actor,started in 1930 and has a story about his life comming out in 2007!!Thats a 77 year span.

Since timslocum posted, Charles Lane has passed away.

Ricardo Montalban

hes been around for ever

Larry Storch started in Vaudeville in the 30's and is still going strong

One of Liz Taylor's co-stars from National Velvet, Angela Lansbury. From '44 to the present day(new film in '08). 64 years.

I was gonna say Lillian Gish.

Ernest Borgnine comes to mind.

Christopher Lee has made it to 60+

Dean Stockwell, too

That's all I can think of for now...

"It's just a movie" is no excuse for treating us like idiots!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwRqc0KSkJ0

According to the book, The World Encyclopedia of Film, Anthony Quinn was in a Selig film as a child. This may have been about 1919 or 1920. Quinn's last film was in 2002.

<George Burns had a 65 year movie career, Helen Hayes had a nearly 70 year long career (counting TV movies), Angelo Rositto had a 60 year movie career, German actor Curt Bois had a 80 year long career, and Sir John Gielgud's movie career lasted 75 years.>

And here the only thing I like about getting older, is getting closer to retirement age!

Post deleted

Jack Totheroh = 92 years

Well not counting actors who primarily worked in foreign markets and the big fat asterisk that is Jack Totheroh.. the top ten as far as I can tell are (Movie and TV, Mostly Hollywood):

1/2. Milton Berle (1914 or 1920-2002) either 88 or 82 years depending on if you count the unsubstantiated roles he had as a kid in the teens.

1/2. Mickey Roone 2000 y (1926-2009) 83 Years, still alive

3. John Gielgud (1924-2000) 76 Years

4. Lillian Gish (1912-1987) 75 Years

5. Charles Lane (1931-2006) 75 Years

6. Gloria Stuart (1932-2004) 72 Years, still alive

7. Helen Hayes (1917-1985) 68 Years

8. Jackie Coogan (1917-1984) 67 Years

9. Ricardo Montalban (1942-2008) 66 Years, still alive

10. Anthony Quinn (1936-2001) 65 Years

Also Jackie Cooper ranks 15th at 60 years, yet has not acted in 19 years.. so anything so much as a cameo immediately puts him 3rd.

A related question would be: "Is Mickey Rooney the only American who has paid the maximum amount into Social Security every year since it was started?"

Has he paid the yearly maximum Social Security tax every year from 1937 thru the present. In other words, did he earn from salary or paychecks (not interest, bonds, inheritance, etc.) at least $3000 in 1937 and has yearly exceeded the max earnings going up thru the $102000 max in 2008. If so he may be the only living person still doing it.

I've posed the question to the Social Security historian and his quick answer was they don't keep track of those things. It would be hard to imagine anyone else still earning at least $102000 and having done max earnings for the last 72 years. Someone collecting interest, dividends, pension, or social security doesn't pay SS taxes. A doctor or lawyer would have to be in their mid-90s and still actively earning a salary to qualify. Seems highly unlikely.

I also sent an email with this question to Mickey's website and have not received any reply. I suggested it would be a good PR opportunity for Mickey, Senators Boxer or Feinstein, and the head of the SS administration, but alas no replys yet.

An addition to this list would be the actress June Lockhart, still alive, who started in 1938 and who has a movie coming out in 2008, making a total of 70 years in films and TV.

Post deleted

I hope marclem doesn't mind me adding to that excellent list, but a few more came to mind so, keeping 65years as the minimum, I make the list...

1/2. Milton Berle (1914 or 1920-2002) either 88 or 82 years depending on if you count the unsubstantiated roles he had as a kid in the teens.

1/2. Mickey Rooney (1926-2009) 83 Years, still alive

3. Anita Page (1925-2008) 82 Years, still alive

4. Doris Eaton (1921-1999) 78 Years, still alive

5. John Gielgud (1924-2000) 76 Years

5. Billy Barty (1925-2001) 76 Years

5. Carla Laemmle (1925-2001) 76 Years, still alive

8. Lillian Gish (1912-1987) 75 Years

8. Fayard Nicholas (1932-2007) 75 Years

8. Charles Lane (1931-2006) 75 Years

9. Gloria Stuart (1932-2004) 72 Years, still alive

10. Frances Reid (1937-2007) 70 Years, still alive

10. Jane Withers (1932-2002) 70 Years, still alive

10. Peter Hansen (1934-2004) 70 Years, still alive

13. Helen Hayes (1917-1985) 68 Years

14. Jackie Coogan (1917-1984) 67 Years

14. Margaret O'Brien (1941-2008) 67 Years, still alive

14. Louise Watson (1928-1995) 67 Years, still alive

17. Ricardo Montalban (1942-2008) 66 Years, still alive

17. Edith Fellows (1929-1995) 66 Years, still alive

17. Noel Neill the real Lois Lane (1940-2006) 66 Years, still alive

20. Kevin McCarthy (1944-2009) 65 Years, still alive

20. Anthony Quinn (1936-2001) 65 Years

With a special mention to Hal Roach who had a 75 Year career as a producer.

Luise Rainer made her first film in 1932 (but was acting on stage before that) and her latest film in 2003, which is 71 years. Her body of work might be the smallest of the whole list though!

"Also Jackie Cooper ranks 15th at 60 years, yet has not acted in 19 years.. so anything so much as a cameo immediately puts him 3rd."

This is kind of off topic but does anybody else think it would be cool if Jackie Cooper and Mickey Rooney made a cameo together? They're about the same age and got their start around the same time in kids comedy shorts before moving onto bigger things. I don't know how they get 111c along or how possible it would be but I'd like to see them together on screen, however brief.

Make room for Actor/Singer Johannes Heesters 1924-2008 still alive and working!!!

Didn't put Johannes Heestaars on the list as the person that started the li 5b4 st asked for people mainly Hollywood related. Same with Joyce Carey who had a 70 year career, but in England.

The longest entertainment career that I am aware of also wouldn't make it onto this list. That would belong to Rosa Rio, a child prodigy who began at age 8 as a musician accompanying silent films and is still composing and professionally playing at the age of 106. That is a career of 97 years!!!!

But I did just see Mickie Moore (still alive) having a career from 1919 to 2000, which is a span in Hollywood picture making of 81 years.

A longer career than even Milton Berle's career of 82 or 88 years is Amercian Jack Cardiff (who was given an Academy Award just a couple of years ago). His career began as an actor in 1918 but he is now a very accomplished cinematographer, with his last credit being 2007. That's 89 years!

Jack Cardiff was British

.pRot3us.

Leslie Phillips (1938-2013) 75 Years, still alive

----------------------------------------
My votes: www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=2240596

"Didn't put Johannes Heestaars on the list as the person that started the list asked for people mainly Hollywood related. Same with Joyce Carey who had a 70 year career, but in England. "
if you go back to the first post then you will notice that there is no reference to "mainly Hollywood related" at all...it's just narrowmindedness...

It may be true, but Mickey has the advantage he started very early, at 6, if he had started in his late teen or 20s like most actors it wouldn't be the longest career.

"It may be true, but Mickey has the advantage he started very early, at 6, if he had started in his late teen or 20s like most actors it wouldn't be the longest career."

I wouldn't consider that less impressive by any means. In fact, I think that makes his career more impressive. Making your first movie at age six and still working in your late eighties, with little stopping along the way, is nothing short of remarkable.

That is remarkable. Did anyone see him in his new film, "Lost Stallion, the journey home" last year? He was amazing.

"WHY SOILTENLY!"
-Curly Howard
www.sunstarstudios.com

I agreed with fairyqueen. According to IMDB, Mickey has been starred in movies/TV shows every year except 1945 and 2003. That is even more impressive and he is probably the most consistent and prolific actor in the motion picture/television history!

JetSoCal

He was drafted for WWII making him unavailable to make movies for some time (late 1944-1945). A huge star at the time, he certainly would have been in something in 1945 had he been available to do so.
In 2003, he appeared at the Academy Awards and on Larry King Live.
Mickey Rooney gets my vote for longest, most prolific career in Hollywood.

Its amazing how long his career has gone!

"Does it look like I give a damn?" - James Bond

Post deleted

Post deleted

I just read through this entire thread. Great thread, great info. Thanks to all, and your knowledge of film history is impressive.

I understand Mickey had a small role in "Our American Cousin" at Ford's theatre on the night Lincoln was shot. Can anyone confirm it for me?

the more people I meet, the more I prefer the company of my cats