Basil Rathbone : Left-handed?

Left-handed?

I just wonder did anyone spot this, too? I mean, obviously Basil writes and fences with his right hand, but the way he folds his arms, left over right one, is typical for the left-handed people. And also the way that Holmes of his gets his overcoat on, tucking his right hand first into a sleeve. Perhaps he was a bit of a left-handed person?

Re: Left-handed?

I hadn't noticed, but it makes sense. He's of a gene 2000 ration where they would force left-handed children to use their right hands in school.

I personally kne Basil as a kid and teenager, and have many items signed and given to me.. Basil wrote with his right hand

I personally kne Basil as a kid and teenager, and have many items signed and given to me..

That really doesn't make sense but okay....

Indeed. I was born long after Rathbone's death, and yet I was forced as a child to use my right hand by my superstitious father. It's only as an adult that I learnt the truth. No wonder I used to be quite clumsy as a child. This child abuse must stop.

Hama cheez ba-Beer behtar meshawad!

Wow, you finally have something that is good to say instead of merely hate.
That is genuinely good.

No, I was wrong. I just read in Basil's autobiography that, after he broke his right wrist, it was impossible for him to sign a paper. But still he managed to do other things with his left hand, for example, preparing his make-up as Dr.Sloper for "The Heiress" and putting on his beard. So he definitely could use his left hand more readily than the average person. And it is interesting since it is indicative of a "right-brain" personality. This means a high degree of creativity, imagination-based viewing of the world, an ability to see any picture "as a whole", to feel the meaning of things and connections between them. *sighs* What a fascinating person he seems to have been; too bad we cannot talk to him these days.

I just saw him in The son of Frankenstein and what a wonderful actor he was. He was definitely left handed. I am ambidextrous and I've noticed this about him. He always tended to use his left hand.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"

I found this too....

http://www.basilrathbone.net/gallery/candids/page6.htm

He is shown bow hunting with his right hand. On pictures on this page you can see him sometimes using his left. He is shown writing with his right. I think he was left handed but 1b40 was forced to write right handed.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"