Basil Rathbone : The Scarlett Claw

The Scarlett Claw

My favourite sherlock Holmes film is the Scarlett Claw, i think The Hound Of The Baskervilles is the next best film. I thought the villian played by Gerald Hamer was excellently played. The suspence does not let up. And there is a good ending to a very good film.

Re: The Scarlett Claw

Yes, this is a good one, but my favourite is the House of Fear.

Actually I always thought Gerald Hamer's acting was very 'corny'.

The Scarlet Claw is my favourite Rathbone-Bruce Sherlock Holmes film. There is a sense of doom and danger throughout.

A marvellous entry in the series. Loved the story and the setting... The special effects were effective, too. One of Rathbone's best Holmes movies, IMO.

NOW TARZAN MAKE WAR!

Just watched it again today. Excellent.

Smooth Sailing

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Saw it yesterday. It's my favourite as well. A superb film!

I love both 'Scarlet Claw' and "Hound of the Baskervilles', but scenes from the other Rathbone Holmes movies are favorites, too, such as 'Pearl of Death', 'The Woman in Green', 'Dressed to Kill', and 'House of Fear'. Rathbone was a gifted actor.

I agree that the "The Scarlett Claw" is the best of the wonderful Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films. You should check out the audio commentary with this film on the MPI dvd; the commentator provides interesting facts about many of the actors who appeared in this outstanding Holmes thriller.

In total agreement here. It's the first one I ever saw when I was like 10 years old, and it scared the pants off of me!!