Basil Rathbone : How many times was he killed?

How many times was he killed?

Even though he was posibly the most skilled fencer in Hollywood history, he can barely so much as walk up some stairs without being killed by some dashing rogue. So does anybody actually have a count? And has he ever not been killed?

This post is actually half serious. I would like to know how many times he was killed. I mean, Flynn alone killed him five or six times.

Re: How many times was he killed?

Yeah, he pretty much survived as Sherlock Holmes.

And the only duel he ever really won was in Romeo and Juliet, though you could say he defeated Danny Kaye in the Court Jester...but he is eventually killed in both of those films.

This is the story of a man who could not...make up...his mind.

you really dnt know if he dies in court jester he just falls into the water he could have lived it was never said

"Flynn alone killed him five or six times"

Hmmm, I don't think it's as much as that.

Well, I think they were in eight movies together, and I'm guessing that Flynn 5b4 didn't kill him in two of those.

By the way, technically he did die in a Sherlock Holmes. Was he in the one where Holmes fell off the waterfall? Because that is when Doyle was trying to kill him off, he just made the mistake of giving himself some wiggle room. Long story short: He was essentially forced to keep on writing.

That last bit had nothing to do with this topic. I just think it's a funny story.

Nope-they were in three films together.

Captain Blood (Flynn's character kills Rathbone's)
The Adventures of Robin Hood (ditto)
and The Dawn Patrol-Rathbone's character didn't get killed in that by anyone.

Rathbone's Holmes wasn't in The Final Problem-but his Holmes did pretend to be killed in one of the films.

i was just visiting with the same question? first i wanted to know if he ever played the 'good guy'.. but more intereseting; did he ever even survive a film?

Yes he played "good guys", Sherlock Holmes for a start, but more times than that.
And yes, he survived in many a film. (too many to go into in a quick post from me!)

Ecclescake and Tennant Whos-in a charity shop near you soon.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

He was killed in a duel (against Tyrone Power) in "The Mark of Zorro". Then, of course, there was pretty much intentional death-by-snakebite in "We're No Angels".

What I came to this board wondering is: Hero or villain, did Rathbone ever NOT play a pompous bastard?