Basil Rathbone : Beautiful voice

Beautiful voice

I think Basil Rathbone had the most beautiful speaking voice I have ever heard.

Re: Beautiful voice

Have you heard any of the cds/tapes of him reading Poe, Sherlock Holmes etc?
Fantastic.

Caedmon Records (anyone know where they are?) recorded him reading some Sherlock Holmes. The stories fit very nicely on one side of an LP. I have "The Speckled Band", and it is enough to scare the HELL out of you. Especially when he and Watson are in Helen Stoner's room, and he whispers to Watson in the dark not to fall asleep as "your very life may depend on it". Great stuff.

i agree; i love listening to his voice; i could listen to him for HOURS and never get bored. If anything, it wouldonly make me fall in love with him more! LOL! He seemed to be a pretty romantic guy; probably read poetry.

*Sasha*

He's very eloquent and for me is the quintessential Sherlock Holmes. Too bad yet another English Gentleman was played by a foreigner!

"Too bad yet another English Gentleman was played by a foreigner!"

Basil Rathbone was English. (if that's what you mean)

Maybe she thinks just because he's from South Africa or something...

Rathbone's parents were English, and were only living in South Africa.
Rathbone was English through and through :)

That's what i thought too; he was just born there. it's still pretty cool, though!

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Deep and dramatic, profound and a lovely accent.
When I first saw the adventure of Robinhood, it was Basil Rathbone that took me in, not Errol Flynn.(Though he's good too)

~A dark elf

I give top speaking voice accolades to Ronald Colman. But Rathbone's vocal delivery was magnificent, of course.

Okay folks, show's over, nothing to see here!

As far as voices go, I personally also love Ronald Coleman. However, I also love Rathbone's voice. My husband has most of the Old Time Radio shows done by Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (which can easily be found on the internet if anyone is interested) as well as other versions of the Holmes stories including versions with Sir John Gielgud.

Deep speaking voices seem to be well suited for radio work.

Absurdity: A Statement or belief inconsistent with my opinion.