Midnight Mass : First post on this show – it's good, if slow-burn.

Re: First post on this show – it's good, if slow-burn.

I was going to ask you if you’ve ever seen that movie kill list but the joke is probably overplayed now 😂

Azn: “He (Orsen) now pretends to be in his 50s, but is in his 70s or close to 80 yo.”

Never. I laugh every time. And you've seen me play the same joke on myself…

I didn't end up bothering with the American version.

Watched this though and I'm pretty glad I didn't watch the America version.

It was a strong show overall. I liked it.

I watched the finale last night and thought it was atrocious. It went from a slow burning, fascinating, subtle horror to a juvenile, simplistic, direct to DVD quality vamp caper.

The way the mayor and everyone just started killing everyone? It was laughably bad.

Harry Starlord: “Lord Orson, you are stupid loser who's 50 years old with the brain of a stupid 2 year monkey.”

Another cliché vampire show.

I binged this last weekend. It touched me deeply.

I was disappointed that it was a typical vampire invasion movie. I was expecting more. How the heck could anyone mistake a vampire monster for an Angel? Nowhere in the bible does it talk about drinking Angel's blood or becoming somehing that can only exist during the night. God created the light. He separated that light from darkness and HE said that light was good. If something appearing to you like an angel with wings feeds on the living, it ain't an angel.

There are plenty of unexpected things in the bible, especially if you include the apocrypha; Nephilim, Enoch and more. I agree, anything killed by daylight or feeds on the living does not seem good or holy, but they quoted revelation and "eternal life" as workarounds. Just one look at that creature seems enough, still slightly baffled how the priest talked himself into that insanity

FWIW 80s Salem's Lot is still unmatched for me, probably because it was the first I watched. But even Salem's Lot was derivative. They had a Nosferatu lookalike, and if vampirism could spread that quickly I find it hard to believe we wouldn't have more cultural habits, safeguards and superstitions or a paramilitary force. It wins on nostalgia

I'd be interested in any recommendations you have. If you are open to one from me, there was a cult British miniseries that breaks most but not all of the conventions but I do not want to spoil it for you;

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169501
Late 90s, Britbong, recommended, cult, breaks many of the cliches
https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/ultraviolet
The worst thing about it, is how few episodes there were

What specifically about it touched you deeply?

I thought it was so well-done, and I really loved the correlations and the way they utilized the concept of "an angel." It was brilliant and creative.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." Morticia Addams

The end of episode 5