Philosophy : Which philosophers or thinkers have most influenced you?

Re: Which philosophers or thinkers have most influenced you?

In On Certainty, does Wittgenstein not state that he doesn't feel science is the only way to know the truth?

It has been literally decades since I read the book, and even though this doesn't line up with his unusual methodology of doing philosophy (since his genius was in being indirect), we can assume that even if he didn't directly say such a thing in a quotable manner, surely he (along with all of his peers) believed it.

Because we all do.

Why then did you try and make out he didn't, and have only admitted he did once I called you out?

Except that I didn't try to make out that he didn't. That's just you being your usual psychopathic self and making dumb shit up.

You're really quite pathetic.

Because we all do.
Except you.

I dare you to find so much as one instance where I ever said that science was the only legitimate road of inquiry.

Do it, motherfucker. Quote me directly, or shut the fuck up.

I don't really much care what you've said before. If you're now agreeing that there's more than one route to the truth, I'm happy. I'll even accept that I might have misunderstood you. It makes no difference to me.

Why do you get so angry here? Is it because you are repressed in your every day life? Are you some powerless cubicle recluse? Getting shouty here seems pointless. What do you achieve by being so aggressive? Are people supposed to be intimidated? What's your thinking? Talk to me. Tell me about you. I'm a good listener.

Darwin, but not directly.

Voltaire is one of my top thinkers. He was also funny and wrote adventure stories to illustrate his point.

It's not a single philosopher but I learned a lot from reading about Zen Buddhism.

Plato for his Theory of Forms and the idea that there are universal archetypes behind everything. Plato also held that humans have different innate essences - gold, silver and bronze. I'd add plastic to the list! I'm a Neo-Platonist. Plato destroys nihilism.

Nietzsche and the Homo Superior.

Impressed that you know Kierkegaard. Him and drugs led me to my Christian epiphany.

I see Freud as a philosopher. The Oedipus Complex and its reverse explains human nature succinctly.

Aleister Crowley. The gods are real. Anything can be achieved through magick if you're willing to sell your soul.

Administrator
"filmboards is a bold experiment in free speech and anarchy"
I GameBoy

I had a misspent youth, reading and thinking about philosophy. Also, I lived abroad in my 20s, and while it was a great adventure, there were lonely periods (the immigrant experience) for which philosophy was a great consolation. So yes I read Kierkegaard.

I'm not a Christian anymore. But Fear and Trembling shook me to the core.

People who have only read Sartre and Nietzsche don't realize that existentialism is a valid philosophy even with god.

Administrator
I GameBoy

Aggressive atheists of the Christopher Hitchens type, so common in the last decade or so and also found quite thickly here on filmboards, I find a bit ridiculous. Nobody knows what's going on, really, and I think that it's ok to have faith in something beyond yourself without being told off for it.

Often online when anyone talks about god or religion, you'll get a litany of cynical atheists who will post "There is no god" as if the issue can't be discussed. Even if I don't believe in it, I think theology is fascinating.

I'm not Christian, but I don't dismiss people who advocate for it.

Administrator
I GameBoy

The only logical position to hold is agnostic. Anybody who claims to KNOW either way, is taking a huge leap of faith.

What about those who claim to have had a personal revelation of some sort? Some have visions. They will claim their belief is based in solid proof.

Administrator
I GameBoy

If they have evidence, they should share it. If proven true, then we know there's a god. If proven untrue, they're possibly just deluded, and back to agnosticism we go.

Without evidence either way, agnosticism is the only intellectually honest position. Athiesm is, actually, the more foolish position. Just because I can't see Joe Biden's diaper doesn't mean he's definitely not wearing one.

Some people have personal revelations which convince them there is a god. You may discount it. But they don't. If one experiences a miracle they will believe even if you tell them it is illogical.

If a sane person says they spoke to god, not directly but spiritually, you may think it's a delusion. But that doesn't explain it existentially. So you may be agnostic about it. But they're not.

Administrator
I GameBoy

Illogical and irrational thinking do not necessary mean insanity. Just look around you. If that were the case, the whole world would be considered an asylum!

Agnosticism is still the logical belief. Strongly feeling that you'd made a spiritual connection with a higher being is simply experiencing something yet to be defined and fully understood. It could be metaphysical, but more likely psychological. So, it's not actual evidence of God, only of some unexplained phenomenon. It's exciting, intriguing, and definitely worth exploring, but it's by no means confirmation.

It's worth considering that even if God appeared before the whole world, and told us everything, as soon as he disappeared again we'd all immediately begin arguing about what just happened. Some would say it was aliens, others would say it's the Chinese, and some would say it was a Hollywood trick.

It's extremely difficult to prove the existence of God.

Nietzsche sounds disturbing. The older I get, the more I think that people do have a choice as to what they are going to believe. Of course, on the Myers-Briggs, I scored a very high "P" on the Perceptive-Judging dimension. It would be one reason why I think everybody's POV is valid. It would also be related to why I have a hard time making decisions.

Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs, PC?

Nietzsche believed we can be something superior. That's refreshing in a world where equality has become sameness and conformity.

I don't believe I've taken Myers-Briggs.

Administrator
I GameBoy

The Beatles and The Doors.

I admit that I made up bullshit about you WarrenPeace and I am sorry. - Friendo in a PM to me.

¼ Irish, French, German
¼ Irish, ⅛ Dutch, German, French
½ Dutch Chinese-Indonesian
Blog

Shirley Jackson all the way

"Even katydids and larks are supposed, by some, to dream."

You read The Haunting of Hill House?

I've read it twice. Right from the opening line, you enter another world. And Miss Shirley was equally adept with humor and pathos ("Come to the Fair" always makes my cry. And for a short story to do that is something else!)

The autobiographical "Life Among the Savages" is hilarious.

And that masterpiece of irony "An Ordinary Day, With Peanuts". The last paragraph absolutely knocks me over!

"We Have Always Lived in the Castle" is my all-time favorite novel. You can tell Jackson was beginning to succumb psychologically, but what a great gothic tale!

Are you a fan?

Just The Lottery (like, 30 years ago) and Hill House.

That book straight-up haunted me.

"The LotterY" is terrifying. Shirley Jackson got death threats in the mail because people hated hearing that kind of relentless viewpoint on mankind. The irony here was that the angry readers absolutely proved Shirley's point.

I will have to read THOHH again soon.

I’m only beginning philosophy I started with the great Plato

Jesus Christ is Lord ✝️

TheAdlerian. He knows all.

After reading the things he writes, I'm ready to be under the influence!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

I'm ready to be under the influence!

Here she is!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Gena Rowlands made that movie.

Isn't the second clip where she gets on the kid's tricycle and starts peddling around the driveway?

I think so.
She was sensational! So was Falk! 🙂👍

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

Max Ehrmann

👍👍👍

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

That's quite lovely.