Automobiles and Transportation : Post deleted

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Large increase in unruly passengers aboard planes

I suspect they are from the future and they act unruly to cause the plane to land early at the nearest airport cause they know something bad will happen if it makes it to the destination.

Smells like Ass in here

Post deleted

indeed. I take comfort in believing the world works like that.

Smells like Ass in here

Like a Final Destination movie?

Post deleted

I liked the one with the bridge and the Tom Cruise lookalike.

And how about the last one where they went full circle back to the plane explosion at the end and the black dude buys the farm in the bar with the landing gear landing on him!

Post deleted

Those numbers from that article look a bit high, but there certainly is an increase.

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/passengers_cargo/unruly_passengers/
Year 	Total
2021 394 as of May 25, 2021.
2020 183
2019 146
2018 159

That's so odd. A single year out of social commission isn't a lengthy enough period of time for people to forget all senses of etiquette. Perhaps the pandemic (and governmental responses to it) exacerbated mental health issues to a far greater extent than predicted.

Hark! Harold the angel sings.

Perhaps the pandemic (and governmental responses to it) exacerbated mental health issues to a far greater extent than predicted.

It exacerbated entitlement, that’s for sure. Too many “real Americans” who refuse to obey mask mandate. You can just kick them out in a store. Imagine trying to enforce it for 4+ hours.

Post deleted

Ha, it’s certainly an impossible position to be in. I remember reading an article about a union of flight attendants literally begging their airline employers to either relax the regulations or beef up security on airplanes. It’s simply unfair to make them enforce something that impossible (and I say impossible in reference to the entitlement and how politicized mask-wearing turned into).

I hear the rules are much more lax now, to sort of ease the burden on FAs. But it’s sad such a sacrifice even had to be made.

That's fair, but I was mainly addressing incidents like the one mentioned in the article, in which some random off-duty attendant decided to lecture passengers about their oxygen masks.

We traveled by plane to Washington last winter, and the mask mandate was only very loosely enforced. The airline itself didn't seem to mind at all, actually, considering the fact that they packed passengers in like sardines. Instead of spacing people out, they filled the seating at the back half of the plane and left the entire front half empty.

It was .

I understand, I just had to get on my soapbox (get it? ) about this topic for a min

We traveled by plane to Washington last winter, and the mask mandate was only very loosely enforced. The airline itself didn't seem to mind at all, actually, considering the fact that they packed passengers in like sardines. Instead of spacing people out, they filled the seating at the back half of the plane and left the entire front half empty.

Ugh, which airline is it? So I can know not to book with them.

Totally get it. This is the best place on the internet to vent, imo.

I think it was American?? Don't quote me on that. I picked whichever one was cheapest without being quite as bottom-tier as Spirit.

Lol, if it’s American, then we are in good company. They’ve been on my blacklist since 2016.

What got them onto yours?

They've been on my shitlist since May of last year, when they refused to refund the tickets I bought myself, my husband, and my mother to Paris (despite the fact that I had purchased insurance on them) when the flight was cancelled due to the pandemic.

The sardine debacle over the winter pushed them onto my blacklist for good.

Fuck American.

Wow, yours is actually a lot worse than mine. Legally, you were entitled to a refund even without insurance due to the public health emergency. Did they at least give you credit?

In 2016, I was in Dublin and was trying to change my flight to exit from Germany instead of Ireland (I decided I wanted to visit some family there before leaving Europe). I was supposed to have a flat fee for changes ($300) but they kept saying that it’d be $1,500 (more than the ticket is worth) to change it. One of my friends advised that I actually call them at 2-3AM Eastern time because their office is less staffed and more willing to make concessions. So I did that and gave my sob story to some lady and she managed to reduce it to $300 like I wanted. All in all, the ordeal could have been avoided had they honored my change fee to begin with.

No, they didn't. As you can imagine, three round-trip tickets from Florida to France were incredibly expensive, so it was definitely a blow to the gut. I traveled the customer service circuit for hours, but they were not letting go of the several grand I'd given them.

That's really shitty. They fully expect people to be so complacent that they don't challenge whatever they're being told, solely to avoid the hassle of having to argue it out with some underpaid, overworked agent at a call center. The moment you press them – most of the time, anyway – they crumble. Their ratings would skyrocket, as well as the money they made from happy repeat customers flocking to fly with them, if they would take the time to do the right thing without being forced.

Greed is such an ugly thing.

I’m sorry, that makes me so angry for you. That’s actual theft. You may have gotten over it by now, but I would def draft a letter to the DOT on top of disputing the charges (assuming it was done with a CC). AA is just a vile company, with or without a public health emergency.

Post deleted

That's PRECISELY what it seemed to be. We peons of the economy class didn't warrant any sort of consideration or protection. So long as the first class folk didn't complain, and the attendants didn't (justifiably) quit over risks to their health, nothing else mattered in regards to passenger safety.

I suppose we were all too grateful to be flying at all to mention it. Besides, what would come of a complaint outside of being turned away without a refund? The whole thing could have been handled so much better. It's really a shame that corporations are so indifferent to anything outside of raw profit.

Post deleted

I fully agree with you.

Unfortunately, things will likely never change. Money and power are too insurmountable a corruptive force. Human greed has been the bane of progression's existence since the dawn of time.

What a legacy.

I suspect it's something like this, what Rouge indicated.

Princess Corwin worked for an airline starting in the 90s, and we were watching closely the rising incidents of air rage back then, and they were almost all entitlement-based. As in, 'I didn't get my second bag of peanuts, I want to speak to the fucking pilot, now!!!…'

You know what tamped it down? 9/11. 'Go back to your seat, now' had an extra edge given that if you misbehaved on a plane you would face some serious legal problems.

I want to speak to the fucking pilot, now!!

I just want to know what someone would expect to achieve by interrupting and complaining to a pilot when said pilot is the only thing keeping them safely up in the air yikes, I hate people!

The point about 9/11 is an interesting one. We are near the 20 year mark now and a lot has changed since the initial reaction. We have a whole new generation of people that can’t or won’t appreciate flight safety anymore.

Yes, the memory of 9/11 is fading, as it naturally would.

Another factor is that compared to 30 or 40 years ago air travel has been much more affordable. People used to dress up to take a flight, if you can believe it. Now it's more like the bus, and on the one hand that's wonderful and egalitarian and more accessible for most, and on the other hand you got more yahoos flying than ever before.

Bahaha:

For full transparency, I laugh at this as someone who wears leggings and a crop top to the airport

Check out that dude's socks!!

Post deleted

And since you brought up uncomfortable flying and the restroom…..

I really believe that the Mile High Club is more myth or legend than reality.
An airplane restroom can barely have just one in there and they want us to believe that two went in there for an above ground tryst?
No way.
Plus there is the lack of privacy where everyone who has seats near them and the stewards are going to know there is hanky panky and it could even be illegal or against flight regulations.
Anyone who says they are with the "Mile High Club" are lying.
The only ones who could join it are those super rich who did it on a PRIVATE plane.
Or they did it somewhere in Denver Col. on ground level.

The seats used to be wide, have wide arm chairs, were very soft & squishy and comfortable, and there weren't that many passengers. Two passengers per row, two rows. Now they've got 2 aisles but 3, 4 or 5 seats packed together. Good luck crawling across those laps to get to the bathroom.

Lol I remember that walk of shame. Always tripping over someone’s leg or feet and making the uncomfortable shimmy down the aisles only to be met with a line of 2-3 ppl waiting to use it. It’s degrading and disgusting.

Post deleted

Sorry, I haven't yet been following closely the mask element of this discussion. What I know is that if a passenger gets unruly about an issue, the air marshal usually gets involved, if it's too much for them or there's no air Marshall, they often land the plane, and it's in the airline's financial and reputational interest to go after that passenger.

I think that in terms of masks, this is going to be hard to manage on airlines, particularly in the US.

One word……wait for it……..”Republicans”

Post deleted

Not wearing masks has become so politicized that I can almost guarantee you that any person who makes a big deal about being asked to put on a mask…..wait for it…..also drives a big pickup truck and…..wait for it……is a Trumper.

Thanks, SCZ! We can always count on you for a monumentally STUPID comment!

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! Fuck Biden and Fuck Putin! 😎 Slava Ukraini!

The Covid Lockdowns when many people believed that they were unnecessary and/or bullshit. Duh.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! Fuck Biden and Fuck Putin! 😎 Slava Ukraini!

Masks are aggravating and so are the people who try to impose them on everyone. I can see how this would lead to fights on planes. Especially now that it's one of the only places masks are still required and there are vaccines now so people should stop caring if someone isn't wearing a mask.

During the pandemic and George Floyd situation, I noticed that people seem to no longer know simple things. However, they will defend their own ignorance in a diehard manner.

For instance, in spite of countless crime shows, people don't know what murder is. They do not know what a mask is and why they are different. If you tell them, they will get angry and not care. People thought the president was a "fascist" and can take over the government, and they don't know what any of that means. People talk about communism, and they don't know what that means, etc.

All of that is an increase in narcissism. That's where you think you are more important than you are and act entitled. The advanced narcissism I am seeing includes not even bothering to try to inform yourself even though the internet exists. So, you really could be a junior expert on many topics, but you are so sure of yourself, you don't care.

An example of that type of person is a "Karen" in slang or a "douchebag". However, as I've been saying, it's getting to the point where these people are super uneducated and delusional.

The airline thing is all about that.

If you are on a plane, you have some money. So, you have that as a setup for narcissism already. Then, we all ought to know by this point that plane violence and disruption carries significant legal penalty. So, the narcissism takes over and makes the person feel above that and launches them into a delusional state where they don't consider the consequences.

Bottom line, people are becoming more and more uneducated/stupid due to a culture of stupidity fostered by various forces.

You should run for office, Adlerian. You and ffs would be your running mate.

Please clap.

Many people would absolutely hate me.

I'd be better behind the scenes.

Well said TA, and completely true!

Thanks.

Being trapped on a plane and getting violent or even loud is an invitation to get arrested. An arrest can ruin your life, so you have to be extremely delusional about your goals to let that happen.

Probably 100% of people on planes are going to have money, jobs, and so on. They aren't random types of people. So, something psychological is going on that fits the situation.

You're welcome.

Where are the air marshals to help out the situation when this shit goes on?

I still think they are more myth than reality because I never see or hear of them stepping in and taking any action.

It can be a real jungle at airports filled with North Americans some days

Heightened tensions, delays or cancelations and just basic decency not being utilised are probably factors for the increase in incidences.

And polarity in political leanings, that's bound to be a component for some.

LOL. 🤡🌎