TV General : How many episodes should a show have?

How many episodes should a show have?

Nowadays most streaming shows are only about 6-8 episodes per season versus the 22 episodes which is more common on major networks. I really prefer these shorter ones on Netflix or Prime. You don't have to wait forever to get to the ending and the unnecessary parts are usually scrapped. What do you think?

Re: How many episodes should a show have?

Interesting topic.

British comedies generally have 6 episodes per ‘series’ and this is something the original British version of The Office had. The US rendition had way more eps, probably became funnier, but then outstayed its welcome and stopped being funny when Michael Scott left.

As a result, the original show stands out as being better overall. Less is more.

Harry Starlord: “Lord Orson, you are stupid loser who's 50 years old with the brain of a stupid 2 year monkey.”

I prefer the 22. Supernatural would not have been the legend that it is, with 6-8 episode seasons.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Well, the shorter seasoned shows tend to require more time spent on production and generally have much higher budgets. I don’t think the amount of episodes a show has is really indicative of its quality so much as it’s indicative of its budget.

I think as long as the show is good and continues to be good, it doesn’t really matter to me how many episodes there are.

I live. I die. I live again.