Death Note : I'm a little confused about something

I'm a little confused about something

I've never read the manga nor have I watched the anime, so my question is related to the movie only.

For the most part of the movie, it was my understanding that only the book's owner could write "death notes" in it but by the ending apparently anyone could. What did I miss? What's the purpose of the book having an owner then?

"Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Re: I'm a little confused about something

It's been a long time since I've seen this (shitty) movie, and an even longer time since I've seen the (much better) anime, but from what I recall, passing the notebook to someone else changes its ownership. I could be wrong, but I do remember that anyone can write in it. At any rate, I strongly recommend the anime. It's only 37 episodes that are about 20 minutes each. There ares some cringeworthy moments, typical of anime. But aside from Psycho-pass, it'd be the first anime I'd recommend anyone.

EDIT: Passing the notebook might not change ownership (I believe removing ownership also removes all memory of the notebook), so I think it just enables the other person to see the Shinigami and write in the notebook.

The movie seemed rushed and the characters are all underdeveloped. I wouldn't say it's an awful movie but it certainly isn't too good.

I watched the first episode of the anime but I'm not sure I'll keep watching. Maybe another time. One thing I noticed is that the main character doesn't seem to be a very good person in the anime.

"Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail."

His name is "Light" and he was a nice kid, star pupil, liked by girls, etc.

He wanted to use the book for "good" but the good of course becomes evil because you can't force good on the world and can't use evil for good.

He's a psychopath with a God complex who thinks he's doing good for the world, but only does so to fuel his ego. A very well-written character, and I agree with some of his beliefs, but overall he's written to be both hated and sympathized with by the audience. Think of him as being a similar character to Walter White in Breaking Bad.

What did I miss?
I would guess the establishment of full communism and the abolition of private property. Probably happened offscreen.

Also, the point of having an owner is that the Shinigami follows that person around and will be the one to eventually write the owner's name in the notebook when their time to die comes. Somewhat like a curse, but not really.

The movie was CRAP and a horrible missed opportunity to a shocking degree.

The anime is brilliant.

Anyway, the book is a demonic trick to fuck humans over and so there is no owner of the book.

It's meant to cause destruction.

The anime is worth watching and gets intense.